Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Need front end advice

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  cmh2007 
#1 ·
Ever since I had my balljoints and u-joints replaced, the truck seems to be all over the place when driving down the interstate. It requires constant driver input and is exhausting to drive. Almost as if there is slack in the sterring wheel and I'm constantly correcting left to right, and right to left. :confused013:

#5 ·
Google Hell bent steel. I got their brace on my 2012 and steering input was durastically reduced. And it's only like 130 bucks If I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: qmrichardson
#6 ·
Google "Hell bent steel" . I got their brace on my 2012 and steering input was durastically reduced. And it's only like 150 or 160 bucks If I remember right. It boxes in the front frame rails, and adds a bearing to the bottom of your stearing shaft. Should even extend the life of your box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: qmrichardson
#7 ·
#8 ·
I recently had my ball joints replaced "again." This time I went with the Carli Upgrade kit and changed out the stock track bar with a Carli track bar. The steering is very tight, just the way it should be.
Now a new problem has arised and its the same as yours. very sloppy play in the steering wheel. Its tough to drive and I second guess how much steer to put in.

I've been looking at the Borgeson steering box and steering shaft for replacing my stock components. Im told that the stock parts are very weak and after replacing the other weak parts with quality parts, the weak link now becomes the steering mechanism.

A steering box from Borgeson is about 500 bucks and 100 bucks off with exchange. The steering shaft is about 300 bucks. They are suposedly the last major improvement needed but thats just what I'm told.

Red Head Steering box also makes a good after market but they dont have a steering shaft.

I am getting a new Borgeson steering box and shaft next month and I hope that will be it for fixing what Dodge was too lazy and arrogant to do themselves.

#9 ·
you could also get one off a 08.5+ truck.. they fixed them after that point :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Check the bolts on the track bar. I replaced my track bar with a Carli and over time I began to get play in the steering wheel. The issue was that the bolt on the drivers side near the frame was not torqued correctly. Carli said it should be torques to 216 ft-lb. I torqued it down and everything works great again. If your upper bushing is bad you can get the issues you are describing.

Good luck

#11 ·
dieselhp, can you show me a picture of the track bar, so I know what to look for? Thanks

#13 ·
it's funny you assume I would even know these things. All I know is my truck wanders all over the road like a lame drunk duck, and it's exhausting to drive. I don't care what I have to buy to fix it, but I want it fixed sooner than later cause it annoys the hell out of me.

#14 ·
I'm trying to help you fix it without spending anything, can you just tell me what your caster bolts are set at? Are the little has marrks pointe toward the front of the truck, or the rear of the truck, and at about what o'clock position are they?

#15 ·
I really appreciate your help, but must apologize for my ignorance because I don't know what the caster bolt looks like. Do you have a picture?

#17 ·
Ok, tell me what you think about this. The driver side caster bolt (from the straight up position) is pointed one click towards the rear of the truck. However, the passenger side bolt is one click towards the front end of the truck (from the straight up position).

#19 ·
I'd say you found my problem... Is this something I can adjust myself by simply turning it with a socket?

#20 ·
Yes, you loosen the nut a little, crank the bolt where you want it, then tighten the nut down super tight. Make sure to hold the adjuster bolt in place while tightening nut! An impact makes things much easier.

Paul@cjcoffroad.com
424-241-3252

#21 ·
Here is an image you can check this bolt as well. Drivers side above the pumpkin near the frame rail.

#23 ·
I may have to check mine when i get off work...I had to have my drag link replaced under warranty and that helped tremendously, but the truck still wants a little too much input from the driver, mostly fighting any crown on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.