Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 p pump 12 valve with fully built Allison 1000 5 speed behind it. Setup is SXE366 over bullseye performance 483. Exhaust is 5" half way to back, then 4". Custom 2500cfm intercooler. All aluminum 3" intercooler piping. No wastegate in system. Upgraded valve springs, fire ringed head, ARP studs. 5x.16 injectors. I can't remember what size delivery valves are in pump. We had two different sizes that were upgrades from original. That's been a good while back. 4K governor springs. No fuel plate with attitude adjuster. Pump timing is 18-19 if I remember correctly. Airdog 165gph lift pump. I understand fuel is not enough for this turbo setup. Just recently went to compound setup. This was fuel when running the SXE366. Also have snow performance 2 stage water/meth installed. Truck starts to run hot on highway. EGTs stay high when it's in 5th gear. Which in turn aids to heating issue. I can combat EGTs some with the water meth spraying. But I have to use a lot to bring it down 200-300 degrees. Does anyone think I need to advance the pump timing some more? I wanted to get this thing running cooler before I started bringing the fuel up to match the air for new turbo setup. Thanks in advance for any help at all!

·
Registered
693 Posts
What turbine housings? What rpm and speed are your temps getting out of hand? I wouldn't expect much out of the 66mm under 2k rpm. Have you pressure tested the setup? A manifold leak or missing bolt can cause a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i wanna know about that allison 1000 setup! :).

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
What turbine housings? What rpm and speed are your temps getting out of hand?
These are very relevant questions. The SXE366 is doing you absolutely no favors as a secondary.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
i wanna know about that allison 1000 setup! :).
Why?? The baby allison is WAY overrated. The only good thing about them was their marketing hype. True, the allsion company does make some good transmissions in medium duty and up applications, but the 1000 just isn't one of them. Several better options out there compared to the 1000.

Reactions: GAmes

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I can combat EGTs some with the water meth spraying. But I have to use a lot to bring it down 200-300 degrees.
May I ask two questions for clarification please.
What egts are you seeing while running steady at seventy mph?
And second is, what temps are you expecting at this speed?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Why?? The baby allison is WAY overrated. The only good thing about them was their marketing hype. True, the allsion company does make some good transmissions in medium duty and up applications, but the 1000 just isn't one of them. Several better options out there compared to the 1000.
to be honest...i'm more interested in the controller setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What turbine housings? What rpm and speed are your temps getting out of hand? I wouldn't expect much out of the 66mm under 2k rpm. Have you pressure tested the setup? A manifold leak or missing bolt can cause a lot of headaches.
.91 on the 366 and 125 I believe on the 483. Temps overall start causing issues any time I'm in 5th gear. I haven't pressure tested the setup. No missing bolts for sure. I have checked all the new intercooler piping for leaks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really thought the Allison was the best route to begin with but it wasn't. I melted the clutches in it in no time. So it had to come out and be fully built. They are designed to have the duramax defuel at shift points where my mechanical 12 valve does not. It's fine now but I'm in it pretty deep after purchase of stand alone to begin with and then having to have it fully built anyways.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May I ask two questions for clarification please.
What egts are you seeing while running steady at seventy mph?
And second is, what temps are you expecting at this speed?
1400-1500 without spraying water/meth at 70. I would like to keep it 1100 or less without spraying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are very relevant questions. The SXE366 is doing you absolutely no favors as a secondary.
I was unaware the 366 was a bad choice as top charger. Main reason for using it was because it was my original turbo during build and it only had 1000 miles on it prior to compound build.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to be honest...i'm more interested in the controller setup.
I used Allison Automatic Conversions down in Florida. Very great company to work with. I'm using their TPS as well. Give them all your info on Trans and setup, comes to you plug and play.

·
Registered
18,694 Posts
1400-1500 without spraying water/meth at 70. I would like to keep it 1100 or less without spraying.
This is just the pickup, level ground, no trailer? What is the boost number?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The power plant is in a H1 Hummer. Level ground and no trailer. I've been leaning toward advancing the pump timing to help with EGTs. Thoughts?
I haven't paid attention to the boost to be honest when I've tried the highway. I've been locked in on the EGTs and engine temp.

·
Registered
18,694 Posts
Without a boost number there isn't any way to offer advice. Although a Hummer is about as aerodynamic as a brick it shouldn't take much more power to propel it at 70 than it does to push my 8000 lb duelly at 70. I would be seeing about 700 degrees and about 8 lbs of boost. Engine temps would never exceed 190, even in the desert in the summer.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
You need get rid of the 66. I have a 63/65/12 over a s475 with a 1.10 housing. My egts never go pass 1100 and that's pulling 15000lbs. My setup will do 70lbs of boost.

Maybe also check for boost leaks or exhuast leaks.

Reactions: 2002CTD

·
Registered
18,694 Posts
With a HX-35 turbo that has about a half million miles on it I pulled my 11,000 pound 5th wheel RV at 70 today just to see what kind of numbers I would get. Obviously a lot more weight (19,000 pound gross wt) and a lot more aerodynamic drag than a Hummer. Elevation above sea level 2100, outside air temp 95f. With my gearing and tires I am turning 2250 rpm at 70. On level ground I had 14 lbs of boost and 800 degrees. A slight incline pushed me to 20 pounds of boost, 900egt. Coolant temp went a needle width over 190, then dropped when the fan clutch engaged. Something is very wrong with that Hummer setup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts