Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah so I had a really really stupid moment about a week ago and now I know that I have a problem. Here is what I did. I didnt realize that trans fluid was added through the dip stick and so I add a small amount of ATF fluid to my brake resivor thinking it was for the tranny:doh::banghead::buttkick:. I drove the truck for a few days no problem and then while driving the other day I noticed that the brakes werent releasing from the rotors all the way. Thats when I realized what I had done.
I know that this is no good at all so Im going to replace the master cylinder and flush the system. Will this take care of any contaments and solve the problem or is there other things I will need to do? Will I need to replace anything else or have the calipers gone through?
Well I need help and info as soon as possible as Im going down to TS May 8th & 9th

·
Registered
227 Posts
:shock::shock::buttkick::buttkick::buttkick::banging::banging::badidea::badidea::badidea::badidea::punish:

Wow, i have to say that is a new one. I think that i would start by flushing the system really well and added the correct fluid before replaceing any parts. just my opinion. And all of the smilies are just to give you a hard time. Mistakes happen.

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
Im with Brian, just flush the system entirely and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
:ditto: I would flush and then re flush just for extra protection.....

·
Registered
480 Posts
trans fluid can eat rubber parts, but the brake hoses and seals in the calipers are pretty stout, just keep a sharp eye on it, if one of your calipers or something was getting ready to go anyway this may have been enough to shove it over the edge

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I know youre just giving me a hard time. It was really stupid. Now when I think back on it I honestly cant believe I did something that stupid. So do you guy think that if I have the system flushed 2 to 3 times and then keep an eye on everything it should be good. Do you think its necessary to replace the master cylinder or the hydro booster?

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
I wouldnt change any parts out just run a couple big bottles of brake fluid through the system and it will be ok.

·
Registered
96 Posts
just start from the rear and bleed the system(at each caliper) I had a guy @ my work put 10w40 in the reservoir because he couldn't find any brake fluid... I had to replace everything wheel cylinders,caliper,master cylinder and lines and hoses...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Im with whitelightnin I wouldn't change any parts until you've tried it after flushing it thouroughly. Its not like you ran 100% atf in it, its just a little contaminated. Try it with new fuild down to each caliper and then start replacing parts if that doesnt work. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
if i was you id haire someone to wrk on my truk before ya do something worse than that...wtf

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts