Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Tomorrow were headed down to buy a 2001 Ram 2500 CTD 5 spd manual. I really love the truck and have been looking for one like this FOREVER, but i keep having a few doubts in the back of my mind. We've seen the truck one time and there was some rust starting on the bottom of the door on the driver and passenger side....nothing noticable from 3 feet away but if you got down and looked for it, it was there. Also the truck has 130,000 miles on it and I dont want something thats not going to last me 5-8 more years. Any thoughts or opinions? Btw the lift/injection pumps have already been changed and the lift pump is the mopar in-tank model. Thanks!
-Matt

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lets see....5th gear has a hard time with heavy pulling and falling off. It is a cheap fix but have to drop the tranny. Wouldn't worry about the miles as long as it has had good service done regularly. Would take out the loan for 1500 dollars more for a fass hpfp 150 and an edge juice/ with attitude to see what your truck is doing and see fuel pressure. Check front end they have a hard time. Turn key 3 times on and off without starting the truck to see codes on the truck. try to start out in 3rd gear to see if you can get the clutch to slip to see if you will be putting in one of them. How much does he want.

·
Registered
31 Posts
16,500 sounds kinda steep to me, but if you like it, thats all that matters and you're the one making the payments. Just my 2 cents....how much have you looked around for one?

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
I agree... two years ago that would be a Deal! but not today... 13-14 is more like it.... And rust is a bad deal.. If you can see it... then there is alot more you can't see... Then the truck will rust apart before the motor gives up.... JMO..

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Definitely too high, when considering the rust on the doors. I would bet there is other rust as well, if you look close enough. I would look else where. Be patient, the right truck will come along.

·
Registered
99 Posts
that is kinda high. I bought mine a month ago for 15,500. 04 4 door 6 spd with 91,000 miles.

·
Registered
708 Posts
toooooooooo much, keep looking

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
hate to tell you this buts thats roughly a $9K truck. (assuming its quad cab short bed 4x4) Hopefully you can just do cash, I doubt a bank will lend you $16K on that truck. If so, and you LOVE IT. Then go for it.:thumbsup

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a friend that just sold his 99 QC SB 5 sp for 12,600. It had 120k miles and he just did the front end, brakes, trans and t-case, fass pump and a whole lot more. I told him he was nuts to sell it, everything that could go wrong was fixed. The kid that bbought it is never gonna need to do more than change the oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts