Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Need Advise

779 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  99BigRed
OK, I need all the pro's on here to guide me in the right direction.... My local bank has just repo'd a 2000 ram 2500 with a 24valve cummind diesel, automatic 2WD truck (140k miles). I have had my old 1992 dodge 12V cummins for years and she cranks right up every morning. So now I think I can get this truck for around $7000 but I'm not familier with the 24V engine so I need to know what to look for before I buy. Is there anything that consistantly goes wrong with these engines? Is there anything I need to inspect before buying? Please help me all you can and thanks in advanced. I will post pics of this unit below.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,618 Posts
check to see if its a 53 block & see if there has been any mods done that would require an after market lift pump i.e. FASS or AirDog. Just want to check that to make sure the VP44 is in good condition. Good luck

· Registered
303 Posts
check to see if its a 53 block & see if there has been any mods done that would require an after market lift pump i.e. FASS or AirDog. Just want to check that to make sure the VP44 is in good condition. Good luck
agree, Lift pumps are a big problem on these model trucks and the autos are not particularly the strongest out there. The dash will crack if it hasn’t all ready. The 53 block is something I would stay away from imo

· Registered
3,618 Posts
Ok, isn't the 53 block stamped on the side, and isn't that the bad one? and what is the VP44? tx
Yes the 53 is stamped on the block you can google it and find all kinds of information, Some of them cracked and there are tons of them that didnt. the VP44 is the injection pump on all 98.5-02 24V trucks.

· Registered
303 Posts
some people that have the 53 block have no problems with it cracking and some do its more of a gamble with the 53 than other blocks, do a search like MOPAR MAN said and decide if you what to risk it or not

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so i talked with the banker today and he told me the truck is still in forclosure and it would take a few weeks to decide upon a selling price. He also said that they could not get it to start, they put the key in the ignition and nothin when they turn it, however the dash and dome light come on. this makes me think they have a reproduction key that won't allow it to start. does anyone know if the original key has an anti-theft device on it that wont allow copy keys to be used? thanks

· Registered
1,130 Posts
Nope just a reg key. May have another anti theft device installed thou. If it has been sitting awhile the batteries may be low. Takes both batteries charged up to fire the starter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.