Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fellas, i need some advise. i regulary pull a 24ft. gooseneck with tractors, skid steers etc. as well as my 34ft 5er. the 5er is around 12,000 lbs and tractors range from 6,000 lbs to 12,000 lbs depending on attachments. i am looking for a little more power for towing but nothing wild. only mods to date is a 4 in. turbo back and a bhaf. any help will be great. thanks.

·
Registered
956 Posts
add some 100 horse sticks and a quad adren, I bet you'll be up to the task then, and your EGTs should get too high I wouldn't think

·
Registered
956 Posts
oops forgot about the LP

always do a lift pump before you add any power mods!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I would say a good lift pump, i.e Fass or Airdog
Edge Juice with attitude for the gauges and saftey parameters
And some RV275's should give you some good towing power

·
Registered
388 Posts
Heres an awesome towing combo...

BD Super B Turbo
Mach 1.5 Injectors
FASS Lift pump & filter asm
Edge Juice with attitude or Quad Adrenaline

·
Western WA President
8,439 Posts
im opposite of their opinions...lol
I tow goosenecks as well, and just a few days ago i towed a bobtail truck several miles and up a few grades and had enough power to light up my tires while pulling it. egt's stayed around 800*
all i have: BHAF, straight pipe, Adrenaline w/pulse monitor(has a lot more saftey features, tunes, and options than edge could ever dream of) an airdog150 lift pump, and a boost elbow fitting for the turbo to bump the boost pressure up to 35psi and keep the EGT's down.

and heres my dyno sheet with that setup:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I tow goosenecks as well, and just a few days ago i towed a bobtail truck several miles and up a few grades and had enough power to light up my tires while pulling it. egt's stayed around 800*
all i have: BHAF, straight pipe, Adrenaline w/pulse monitor(has a lot more saftey features, tunes, and options than edge could ever dream of) an airdog150 lift pump, and a boost elbow fitting for the turbo to bump the boost pressure up to 35psi and keep the EGT's down.

and heres my dyno sheet with that setup:
gotta love that quad adr. i tow all the time and it runs great.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I tow all the time with my 01, only on lower power settings on adrenaline. I was grossing 28,000 yesterday and had no problems with it. I don't push the truck real hard until the convertor is locked, just to hard on everything. This old truck rocks with a trailer behind it. I haven't driven a stock truck in so long I probably don't realize how good mine pulls a trailer.
I gross 24,000 alot with the gooseneck and bobcat with attachments, 65 mph cruising is no problem. I do try to keep it above 1600 all the time loaded. I'm just guessing but the adrenaline 2000 tune on level 2 or 3 and 200 horse injectors ought to make around 375 to 400 horse.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you can spin the tires at that weight you dont have enough tongue weight!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Tongue? It's a gooseneck. No tongue. I find it a lot easier to get rubber with a trailer pulling on my tail.

I agree that a chip with a fooler feature is a great way to go-hand in hand with a boost elbow/or wastegate adjustment. I'd go sticks only and a boost fooler, though. The stock turbo is smaller than most the aftermarket options which makes it perform well at low rpm, and spool quickly for keeping the egt's under control. And the extra boost keeps things running cool.

I think the big question is what transmission do you have? If you have an auto, I'd try and keep the fueling mods mild to protect the transmission. If you have the big shaft six speed, I'd go with 150 hp sticks, small shaft or five speed I'd go with 100's, and auto I would be more conservative. You might note, I didn't go with 150's. I regret that. I was afraid the clutch wouldn't hold it. It does, and just fine. I usually am pulling an excavator or loader/backhoe, but smaller stuff. (JD790/Takeuchi tb16)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts