Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at picking up an 03/04 ram 2500 with the CTD to tow my future fifth wheel with. It looks like most of those in my price range have 130-150k miles on them. Is there anything special I need to look for that starts failing around this range?

Thanks!

Keith

· Registered
172 Posts
Injectors, Lift Pump, Water Pump, Check Turbo shaft play, if AT test drive and check shift points and if it hunts thru the gears when trans fluid is warm...

· Gone Fishin'
585 Posts
:agree2: Every thing he said especially the injectors and lift pump. I have already replaced lift pump, water pump and in the process of replacing all of the injectors at 138k.

· On call 24/7
13,772 Posts
Welcome to the CF. To add to what they said, there were 4 different hp/tq outputs in 03 and 04. Early 03 had 235/460, 250/500 and 305/555. If you find a a 6 speed it will be the 305/555 but if its an auto truck you will just have to check the drivers side of the valve cover for the hp/tq ratings. 04 had all of the above but midway through the year they added the 325/600 to the lineup. Good luck with your search. My 03 305/555 still has the oem lift pump, injector pump and all the front end parts as fas as I know. I have had 3 injectors replaced in the last 50000 mles but at 104k its still like new.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O.k.. obviously I'm not going to be pulling the injectors to check them (that takes a few hours) so am I just looking for Black, white or Blue smoke in relation to injector health?

Any special instructions for checking the lift pump?

Keith

· Registered
934 Posts
The easiest way to check the injectors I know of is to try and start it with the engine cold. When I say cold, I mean not ran in at least ten hours and block heater not plugged in. My truck runs and starts great if it been plugged in over night, if not, it is real hard to start, sputtering and dieing before actually starting. This usually means that at lest one injector is going bad. Also if the oil level seems strangely high, or if the oil smells like diesel, it needs injectors.
Water pumps are cheap and easy, I wouldn't worry about that.
I wouldn't buy an auto unless it has been rebuilt or you can get a smokin deal on the truck. Personally I would NEVER buy an auto again, I may feel different after I dump 3-4K into mine.:vomit007:
Injectors are about $400 a piece.
Ball joints, tie rod's and end's, and steering knuckle u-joints cost me about $400 and I got a good price.

I should add that I do like my truck, I just wish it didn't need injectors that I can't afford.:$: Oh well. the tranny is still good. For now. :rof

· On call 24/7
13,772 Posts
Black smoke is fine, blue and white are not. If you see a puff of white smoke on startup dodge says its fine but its an injector leaking down and needs replacement. If you are driving at speed and you see white smoke then it needs injectors asap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.