Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well with the fuel plate slid forward the stock clutch is giving up quick....im looking to spend under $500 on a clutch. what would be my best choice? i see alot of valair's for my price range but it says i need the flywheel machined. or get their flywheel and its like $700 just for a single disk clutch kit+flywheel. are there any other good company's besides south bend (real expensive) that would be able to hold my power relatively cheap? or should i just look for a used one? thanks guys...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've had a great time the past 1-1/2 years with my $220 Valair clutch. I got the stock replacement, and its held nicely. I tow a excavator alot, so it see's some stress. You should get the $450 one, and then spend 40 bucks to get your flywheel re-surfaced and be good to go.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do i have to have it just resurfaced or do i have to machine it to fit the HD hub?

"ALL PERFORMANCE CLUTCH KITS FOR 12V FLYWHEELS WILL REQUIRE FLYWHEEL MACHINING FOR CLEARANCE OF HD HUB."

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok can anyone help me decide on a clutch? i got my eye on 2 of them, one is a STOCK replacement, brass woven organic for $316 that will hold 400hp/ 850tq or a PERFORMANCE replacement, ceramic buttons style that will hold 550hp/1000tq for $502...any input?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Talk to Dan at Valair he will fix you up right for a single disk clutch in that price range. I beat the he?? out of mine and never had it slip.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well a friend of a friend is a dealer for valair so ima give him a call tomorrow..but the truck is a daily driver, with some added HP, it very rarely tows but i dont wanna be limited if i ever have to hookup to a big trailer...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have 2500 miles on my Valair, I got the 400 hp organic single. I love the way it's working so far. I called a local diesle shop and he sold me a flywheel off a 99 24 V the bore on those flywheels is 7 3/4". I only paid 150 bux for a turned fly wheel and 300 for the clutch. Make sure you check the fly wheel for run out. I didn't and my clutch chatters like crazy but it was my own damn fault!!!:doh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts