Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my block is a 53 block thats perfectly good, but still im concerned. all i hear on line is horror stories. i bought the truck a year ago as a project truck and have been saving money for transmission and performance stuff. my question is, is it worth putting the money into it or should i dump it and find another truck? it has 160k mi on it. anyone on this site have any problems with a 53 block? or have you had good luck with it? or am i just worried over nothing? any advice is appreciated thanks.

·
Go for Broke
6,699 Posts
your fine.....i also have a 53 and over 600hp

i would guess about 10-15% of them will crack

IMO don't worry about it and have fun :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
the 53 block is known to have problems..that doesnt mean its guaranteed and as stated above the cracking isnt all that common

enjoy it:thumbsup

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've got 174k on mine and still good as new. Buy it and have fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you a gambler! they do crack! Mine let go at 108,000 while towing to Alaska & bck, about 10,000 mile round trip towing @ about 16,000 GCW. On the weak one's I think it's the heat cycles that do them in. Anyway it's big $$ for new block and parts, I got lucky and Cummins covered the parts, I paid the labor. Good thing now is I've got a 99 w/ only 25,000 miles on the lower end.

good luck with your decision

Dave

·
Registered
183 Posts
No, I found a good pickup at a great price. Big deal if it has a 53 and it cracks. I'll just get to get a new engine to mod. I've already priced them, and yes their expensive but It will still be cheaper then a new truck. I'm enjoying mine and hope you do the same.

·
Go for Broke
6,699 Posts
i also have a little over 200,000 miles on my 53

it all comes down to some have good luck and some don't

·
Registered
545 Posts
if you worry you wont enjoy it. it's like a highschool girlfriend you know it wont last so you beat it up while it's their. dont worry and have fun.

·
Past IL VP
1,430 Posts
I've got 218,--- on mine and just rollin right along... if it happens it happens!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Couldnt turn down the deal on mine when I got it just knew i might be fixing it one day but not gonna worry about it till time comes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No, I found a good pickup at a great price. Big deal if it has a 53 and it cracks. I'll just get to get a new engine to mod. I've already priced them, and yes their expensive but It will still be cheaper then a new truck. I'm enjoying mine and hope you do the same.
My engine was not a "53" and cracked anyway,so it's allways a gamble.
BTW,howdy there n2,shoot you're just right up the street from Lewiston.

·
Registered
751 Posts
hey

i got over 265,000 on my 53 block pushing 400 horse with some pretty extreme mods i wouldnt worry about it and besides this crack is only know to occur during extreemely heavy hauling at higher altitudes

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
I heard if it does crack that it is very fixable. I wouldn't worry about it.

Here's alot of info on the 53block
53 Block FAQ and Information

·
Registered
183 Posts
My engine was not a "53" and cracked anyway,so it's allways a gamble.
BTW,howdy there n2,shoot you're just right up the street from Lewiston.
Howdy, yup sure am

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the advice guys ive decided on keeping it. its my first truck and i love it, bought it in december 06 had 140k mi paid 14,000 its a laramie fully loaded so i got a good deal on it. i weighed my options even if the block does crack ill still spend a lot less than a new truck. thanks for the advice guys look forward to many more discussions

1 - 15 of 15 Posts