Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for some advice on a 08 2500 4x4 I was considering purchasing. The truck was taken to the dealer for "hard shifting". The dealer stated that the truck was taken care of under warranty & maintains a factory warranty. The dealer gave me a copy of the history & at 9,000 miles the trans was repaired. The description of the repairs is: "Internal transmission failure, r&r trans for recondition. replace all clutch packs, input drum assembly, overdrive clutch (burnt), replaced underdrive pistons w/ seals, reassembled trans & flushed transmission cooler."

The truck was traded back into the dealer with 13k miles for a 1/2 ton. I drove the truck & all appeared fine to me, however I don't have any experience with this truck. I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice on this issue. I didn't know if this has happened before with any other 2500's with the 6 speed auto.

I have been looking for a truck for awhile & this truck fit everything I wanted. On arrival at the dealer, the told me about the transmission issue from the very start.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would purchase if the price was right. The thing is, you can buy nice used 6.7s for a good price and new ones for not much more. Do your homework on the real market value of one and then make a decision.

Kyle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they agreed to $28,500 for a 08' 2500 quad 4x4 6.7, sound ok?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
well here in texas you can find a new one lonestar edition for about 33,000 maybe a lil less but its up to you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
where at in Texas? mine was $49,000 new? maybe $33,000 for a single cab base model 2wd

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
My honest opinion is to buy a new one. From being on this site for a while now, I can't say I've seen many auto failures from STOCK trucks. I'm not saying that truck is a lemon, but it begs the question - how did the failure happen? Was the guy just driving down the freeway and it grenaded? Or, was he abusing the truck? And that's a question you may never have answered.

As others have stated, you can buy a new one for just a little bit more than the price they gave you. I know in this economy, $5,000 is $5,000. BUT, that extra $5,000 buys peace of mind - you'll be the first owner, know exactly where its been and what its done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I gave in & purchased a new 09' 2500 4x4 quad cab. and I am glad I spent the extra $. Thanks for all the input. Now I just need to learn alittle more about the truck, but so far I love it!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
they are advertised in the rio grand valley and also in corpus area. kevnasty when did you buy your truck because when i bought mine i got mine before all the sales and i payed with just a trade in with 05 2500 4x4 lonestar larmie 90,000 + miles on it. i payed for my 08 the only thing i am missing is leather out the door 29,980. and my sticker on my truck was 45,750

1 - 8 of 8 Posts