Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
getting ready to install a serpentine belt, figure i'll do the water pump at the same time. looking for a good brand. gates lists one on their website, but can't find. napa lists several, but no brand names, advanced has it for about $50, but not a brand name i know. i'll pay a reasonable amount of money for a good, one, any input? i bought the upper and lower radiator hoses at advanced, lower didn't have a spring in it (original has one in i can feel it). any input on that or the small 3/4 molded hoses, figure i'll do all them too. i like to saty w/brand names i know, advanced said they have heard no copmplaints of their hoses or other parts.
found a bosch "OE" cummins water pump for $55 or so at rockauto.
jon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unless the pump is leaking I would not feel bad about not changing it. Make sure you run the water conditioner in the antifreeze. I use the cummins additive, and have just passed 309,000 on the original water pump. just my .02

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
water conditioner

i am going to change as many hoses as i can, just to be safe (there's a few small ones in there). while doing so, i will put in new coolant and thermostat. found a stant brand 190 degree (oem is 180, but i know that more recently temps are set higher because coolant can take it). current coolant is the regular green stuff. should i get anything special? (extended run - orange) and where do i get the cummins additive? online? even though i will have the whole thing taken apart, it isn't worht putting in a new water pump? cost is $55 for the Bosch (oem?) unit. cost isn't a great deal, just hate for it to go out when it will be more expensive to replace:$:.
jon

·
Registered
28 Posts
The coolant conditioner is an additive that is made for diesels to help prevent cavitation around the cylinders and lubricants for the water pumps. It is usually avalible from fleet supply houses and some parts suppliers. This additive is not in regular antifreeze.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the additive is called"DCA".

·
Registered
3 Posts
im new to changing the water pump on a cummins. if you could give me some basic steps i would be glad.
95 3500 dully 2wd 130k. 6 inch stacks,all stock

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
I would go to cummins to get the pump...

Its a simple swap, their are only a couple bolts that hold the pump to the block, remove them, pull the pump out, make sure the o-ring comes out. Clean up the mating surface and pop the new pump in.

·
Registered
398 Posts
just bought one today because my weep hole is well....weeping...badly....got mine at carquest for like $43 BRAND NEW...NOT A REMAN!!! napa wanted $50 for a fking crappy reman pump....

oh and actually..while were on the subject...i got the prestone "flush kit" for a whopping $4 but to go above and beyond flushing with just water (my cooling system is nasty and gunked up like u wouldnt believe) is there any type of chemical i can run through there that would be even mildly effective? simple green? or even dawn dish soap would be better than nothing...has anyone had success with any products?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Last time I got some I purchased from local heavy duty repair shop. I believe it was made by Radiator Specialty, but not for sure. Be careful and make sure it is compatible with your cooling system. Many will state DO NOT use in aluminum radiators or engines. The ones that are safe to use in these is a very mild cleaner. Also, sometimes cleaning will reveal leaks that you did not know were there. If you are not having overheating problems, chances are your cooling system is not as bad as you think. If system is real bad, then it is time to start taking things apart to clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts