Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the dead pedal followed by intermittent white smoke and P0216 when I checked. You see my sig Im running the big laggy to me SPS 62 with a Dcomp and 150s. I don't plan on twins and dont want to do a HR just for the cost and reliability factor and I have a box anyways. What is everyone's thoughts?
with the worn HO all it did was smoke on the low end anyway so would a SO be that different? Also who can graciously give more info on the Frieghtliner O29 pump?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have outgrown the performance deal, I have spent as much as I want to on this truck anything from now on will be upkeep. Therefore I most likely will just do a HO replacement. I feel like an ADR would be more suited to tune the lowend and get the spool optimal so I might try and trade my dcomp. Other then that I just want it driving again in case the 7.3 knocks off in my wifes excursion.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I have outgrown the performance deal, I have spent as much as I want to on this truck anything from now on will be upkeep. Therefore I most likely will just do a HO replacement. I feel like an ADR would be more suited to tune the lowend and get the spool optimal so I might try and trade my dcomp. Other then that I just want it driving again in case the 7.3 knocks off in my wifes excursion.
That being the case, IMHO- I'd just replace the HO pump with the same. The proper tune will go a long way to eliminating smoke down low. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
The SOVP44 reacts better to performance boxes them the HO's.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
The SOVP44 reacts better to performance boxes them the HO's.
Very true. But he said he has out grown the performance addiction, hence my recommendation to keep the HO motor with an HO pump...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats why I asked with my sticks and big charger, not to mention the .020 over hg I simply cant burn much fuel on the low end, so would I even notice the diffrence with the SO? Or is it.more of a timing thing and not.so.much a fuel thing?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Again- IMHO- it's a tune problem. Correctable with timing, I would think.

With the excessive smoke on the low end, you're fueling too much with a lack of air. I don't think an SO pump alone would fix that problem. It's true an HO may smoke more in the same situation, but that doesn't seem to be the root culprit. Again, I suggest the proper tune. FWIW- check my sig: I run a good amount of timing, responsible driving, and NO smoke when desired...

Edit: I should add I have .010" pintle lift, so my injectors are far above yours (limited by sig). I think the proper tune will help immensely. Lots of programmers available. I'll make no recommendations which is better than the other...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't ask why its smoking. I asked for opinions of those that have gone from HO to SO and what was the actual diffrence in low end. I can search and read and repeat what vendors tell you all day but tgat does't answer the ultimate question what is the difference? If its fuel quantity will I miss the extra from the HO and if its a lack of lowspeed advance will it affect my spool? With all due respect you havent anawered neither. We can go back and forth and.make an 80page thread but what does that achomplish?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I didn't ask why its smoking. I asked for opinions of those that have gone from HO to SO and what was the actual diffrence in low end. I can search and read and repeat what vendors tell you all day but tgat does't answer the ultimate question what is the difference? If its fuel quantity will I miss the extra from the HO and if its a lack of lowspeed advance will it affect my spool? With all due respect you havent anawered neither. We can go back and forth and.make an 80page thread but what does that achomplish?
Nice response when looking for help.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Someone stated that the standard output pump fuels less down low (less smoke), HO fuels more (more smoke) so it depends on what you want, standard output pumps respond better to tuners, with less smoke. But if it is a HO motor, use the correct pump.
Some guys that went to SO pumps loved their fueling up high in rpm range.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Actually, you asked about the difference between the HO and SO pumps, not for opinions of those who have swapped and HO for an SO. I answered your question about the two (also provided a link to the Freightliner pump). I plainly stated the the HO pump fuels harder down low than the SO pump, ergo the HO pump will help the turbo to spool faster. Both your questions have been answered...

As opposed to the attitude, I'd assume you just say thanks and go on your way... :spank:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently had my 01 HO lose it's pump. I went with an SO replacement pump. Mine has F1 150HP sticks and a hybrid HX40. It does have less smoke on the low end which works better as the egt's are lower. It is also less likely to spin the duals when the road is damp/wet. It feels less touchy with the throttle, the SO smoothed out the low end. Here's the kicker, I called the vendor prior to purchase and specifically asked about the core if I returned a HO when I bought an SO pump. Was told it had been done many times and not a problem. Wrong, I lost my $400 core and pump! I've emailed the vendor and he's failed to reply. Before you buy PM me and I'll let you know who stuck me.

Al

1 - 13 of 13 Posts