Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to line up a truck to buy asap. I'm waiting on my insurance check but I need to have something lined up asap.

I'm looking for a 4x4, long bed or short, manual preferred or in a 3rd gen auto is fine, Srw, no regular cabs, extended or crew cab and also trying to keep the rust down.

I flew out and picked up my last ctd from ky but work it to busy so I'm hopping to find something somewhat local

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oops I ment to add that but under 15k and also located in hershey pa.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Try Continental Auto Sales in Dallastown they deal in Cummins Only. Really nice older couple family business thats where my truck came from. I would go back in a heartbeat

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna call tomarrow about the one on Craigslist! I have checked out 3 24 valves so far and they all wanted 15-16k. Two of them had more of the rockers rusted out then metal still there!

I need to find a dodge asap. I'm getting desperate so desperate I stopped to look at a f350 today! My girl slapped me for stopping but I thanked her for setting me straight. I have a keeper for sure

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a way to search Craigslist state wide or only city?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm looking to line up a truck to buy asap. I'm waiting on my insurance check but I need to have something lined up asap.

I'm looking for a 4x4, long bed or short, manual preferred or in a 3rd gen auto is fine, Srw, no regular cabs, extended or crew cab and also trying to keep the rust down.

I flew out and picked up my last ctd from ky but work it to busy so I'm hopping to find something somewhat local
First let me say " Hi ", I just registered recently and I"m glad your here..!

I'm in the same boat. Truck ( '08 Tacoma ) totaled last week, waiting for the check. This moved my timeline up about a year. Looking for a DRW to pull a 5th wheel toyhauler that I don't have yet either!

I'm looking at a '07 5.9, auto, crew cab, long bed, with 28,000 on the clock. Basic truck, not much "wiz-bang" stuff. It looks clean on the web, 1 owner, I think it's a ST. I heard the 5.9 pulled stronger than the 6.7's for that year..? due to less pollution controls. The pickn's are very thin on all makes right now.
This will be my FIRST diesel, are these trucks reliable. I don't do too much hwy driving, just local. Can I just jump in it and run to the store on a regular basis without a lot of maint. issues.
What do I need to know about diesel's..?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Diesels are slightly take slightly more maintenance like fuel filter more often then gas but the way I look at it if you buy a gasser you will only get 100-150k reliable miles where with a diesel at 200k+ miles I have no issue driving our work truck across the country.

I tell everyone that is rather buy one diesel and keep it for its lifetime then buy 5 gassers to in the time my diesel will last

Reactions: rhd47

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well guys I am going a little over my budget of 15000. I went and looked at a 99% rust free 2002 2500 96k miles with a 6 speed quad cab short bed with stacks, edge with attitude tuner, fass 150, big single disk clutch, 4 inch lift and new 35s. We are trading in my custom sas 2003 mercury mountaineers and 8 grand. The dealer wanted 22999 but I talked them down to 19000. With it being a Sunday I couldn't do any paper work or put a down payment. Tomarrow I will be swinging down there early in the morning to hopefully finalize it all. If everything works out I will post pictures tomarrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
dang it

:doh: Wish I saw this sooner...I have a rust free 97 for sale.

Let me know if your deal falls through.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm considering 2 '07's. One has the 5.9, auto, with 28,000 on the clock. The other one is a 6.7, auto, with 34,500. Which one would be the better truck just from the power train standpoint...? This is all new to me....thanks.

Both are " Certified " dealer trucks, 3500's DRW.

How important is cruise control when pulling a 5th wheel..I heard it's not used too much...?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Honestly I would rather stick with the 5.9 to keep the better fuel economy and not have to deal with the dpf.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had a 08 6.7 and once i straight piped it and added a edge juice w/ att i loved it there wasnt much out there for the 6.7s at that time but now there is a ton more options i wouldnt worry about the dpf unless your keeping it all stock if your leaving them all stock then go with the 5.9 as the 6.7 got horrible fuel mileage before i straight piped it either way i dont think you will be disapointed in either one i would say drive a 6.7 and 5.9 and see which you like best but also the 6.7 also comes with a 6spd auto i dont think the 5.9 did in 07 but i could be wrong on that best of luck i dont think you will be disapointed either way

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with egkrichards stock to stock I'd take a 5.9 but dpf delete and egr is deleted on a 6.7 makes for an awesome truck. Only issue is we are having a headache getting rid of a few codes after the dpf delete on my buddies 07.5 6.7. We tried the sims and still no luck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.