Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

need a little help with power on a 92

740 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  chappy
Well a buddy of mine just picked up a nice 92 ex cab 2wd cummins.It has a fresh rebuilt auto tranny in it.We tried hauling a 2wd ford on a tandem car trailer and it couldn't muster up more then 60mph to the floor.He wants me to help him since I am into diesels but I'm a ford guy.I know what to do with a powerstroke but no idea on a mechanical 12v like this.So where to start to get some power out of this thing.Mainly just for driving around and some playing and some towing occasionally.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· So God Made a Farmer..
2,042 Posts

· Registered
626 Posts
then I would recommend the 366 spring and an aftermarket fuel pin. But I'd be careful on how much you help this guy, cuz in the end, his old dodge might be beatin your ford. ha ha jk.

· Registered
9 Posts
did the rebuilt trans include a torque converter? does the overdrive engage?

for starters, i would crank the fuel screw to the lock collar, that will give you a pretty safe hp increase until you get some gauges in it.

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
60 MPH sounds like a stock converter. Get it replaced. Even with stock fueling it would do better than that with a good converter.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
well thanks everyone for the help :yourock: It should get us started. And that cargo light switch you dodge guys got is pretty sweet.Can't turn mine on without turning the interior on also

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did the rebuilt trans include a torque converter? does the overdrive engage?

for starters, i would crank the fuel screw to the lock collar, that will give you a pretty safe hp increase until you get some gauges in it.
Yes the overdrive engages.Not sure on the convertor.The guy he bought it off of said the tranny was just rebuilt and thats all we know.Shifts real nice.I know gauges are on the top of his list.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
60 MPH sounds like a stock converter. Get it replaced. Even with stock fueling it would do better than that with a good converter.
Thats what I thought.I know it struggled with an empty goose neck to pull 70mph but that is a heavier trailer then the first one I was talking about.Need to get a tranny gauge on there and see what the temps are doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.