Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for transmission recommendations. Like:
Just about to head to Baja and thought I should change my transmission fluid and add those Fast Coolers that have been sitting on the shelf.
Anyway this is what came out of the drain hole so no San Felipe.

Truck info:
2006 5.9 G56 setup for spirited desert running.

• 37 MT tires
• B1 Bomber turbo from Turbo Auto Diesel
• Industrial 50hp injectors
• AFE Stage II intake, Safe air box
• Edge CTS3 Evolution
• MBRP 4-inch turbo-back exhaust.
• FASS Titanium lift pump #38059
• Southbend DD clutch

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds like a side plate broke and allowed a ball-detent to escape along with other parts. I'm in orange county California but don't have any contacts that work on gear boxes so any knowledgeable advice would be greatly appreciated.
So here are my options. Anyone have any constructive comments to make about any of these (or stayaway)?
ATS (dealer?)​
Other?​

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Find the transmission builder that's closest to where you live. If there are any issues you're right down the street, not having to pull it and send it back to someone. They're not that complicated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Find the transmission builder that's closest to where you live. If there are any issues you're right down the street, not having to pull it and send it back to someone. They're not that complicated.
Problem there is finding a transmission shop that is good.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Problem there is finding a transmission shop that is good.
I understand, from personal experience though i've driven 3 hours for the "best" transmission shop around, and after going back twice I ended up having to the local guy down the street actually fix it correctly. The other guy was so good, and so busy, that little **** got overlooked and it would sit for a week every time. I sympathized with him about growing a business and not being able to find good help etc. At the end of the day my rule (with very few exceptions) is to find the closest legit business. You're in the mecca of automotive repair/fab etc., I would have thought someone would've recommended something.

Just doing some quick research, if it were me I would start with Irvine Transmission and Differential. I like specialty shops, and not trying to be too many different things. You could also call Carli, CJC, etc. and say, 'Hey, who do you guys use for trans work?'

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I’d seriously talk to super stick, their currently building billet shafts etc for these transmissions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’d seriously talk to super stick, their currently building billet shafts etc for these transmissions.
I've tried to contact him via phone, txt, instagram, Facebook, messenger even smoke signals.... ok not smoke signals. I got one txt back saying he was on lunch and would call me later. I followed up so much I'm sure he thinks I'm a stalker by now. Anyway, if giving him my money is this hard what happens to the rest of the transaction or if there is a problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand, from personal experience though i've driven 3 hours for the "best" transmission shop around, and after going back twice I ended up having to the local guy down the street actually fix it correctly. The other guy was so good, and so busy, that little **** got overlooked and it would sit for a week every time. I sympathized with him about growing a business and not being able to find good help etc. At the end of the day my rule (with very few exceptions) is to find the closest legit business. You're in the mecca of automotive repair/fab etc., I would have thought someone would've recommended something.

Just doing some quick research, if it were me I would start with Irvine Transmission and Differential. I like specialty shops, and not trying to be too many different things. You could also call Carli, CJC, etc. and say, 'Hey, who do you guys use for trans work?'
Not wanting to be a name dropper, but I do feel like I know a good grip of professional motorsport shops and none of them had a good referral for a G56. Or I would get one expert that would say take it to shop ABC, but then the next expert I talk to would tell me a horror story about shop ABC.

CJC is one of the shops I trust and they didn't have a good source either.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Not wanting to be a name dropper, but I do feel like I know a good grip of professional motorsport shops and none of them had a good referral for a G56. Or I would get one expert that would say take it to shop ABC, but then the next expert I talk to would tell me a horror story about shop ABC.

CJC is one of the shops I trust and they didn't have a good source either.

Sounds like it's time to get your YouTube Certified Master G56 Overhaul Credential then 😁

Seriously though, at the end of the day it's just a transmission, and there's businesses that have been around for decades that repair them.

Reactions: Chaplain45

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like it's time to get your YouTube Certified Master G56 Overhaul Credential then

Seriously though, at the end of the day it's just a transmission, and there's businesses that have been around for decades that repair them.
Thats funny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts