Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys/gals,

i recently purchased a 2011 2500 CTD, and the stealership offered me a good deal (IMO) to have them install a spray in bedliner. They will do the job for $297, now my only problem is i plan on eventually doing some towing with my truck, like possible a gooseneck and later in a couple years i think my wife and i would like to get a 5th wheel trailer.

so how hard will it be to install the hitches after the bedliner is in? also, do you guys offer any advice as to what hitches are better to get? do they make combo hitches? so i don't have to install 2, ect. i'm just looking for some general advice about this stuff and i appreciate it if you do have a nice setup to post up a pic and let me know what it is.

also, i'd like to get a tool box for the bed, but we go on drives and a truck cap will be needed. so here in the next couple months i will be getting an A.R.E. Z-series cap. will there be any clearance issues with any of the above mentioned items installed? i know i won't/can't run a 5th wheel or gooseneck with the cap on, but what about a tool box?

thanks in advance,

John

·
Registered
121 Posts
a b&w is a good hitch and you do the spray in bedliner first and they make a gooseneck +5th wheel hitch I put them on all the time. if any ? I can help

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I have never installed a 5th wheel hitch, but I couldn't see an problems with installing it after the bed liner is sprayed.....I would think it would be better to do this.:confused013: As for the toolbox with the topper on, you would need one that sits on the floor of the bed towards the front.

·
Registered
121 Posts
x2 one that sits on the floor of the bed towards the front. so you don't hit it with the trailer I've fixed a lot of trailers that have hit the cab of trucks

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i was thinking, i'd need to get a smaller one to sit in the bed.....so on the hitches, b&w makes a combo hitch? is that what you're saying?

·
Registered
81 Posts
if you are gonna pull both get the fifth wheel rails. then you can pin up any hitch you want. that is the set up i have. pulling a fifth wheel with the gooseneck adapter SUCKS imo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
and it is much cheaper to do it the way i posted.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, just went to B&W's site, and seen what you were talking about. looks like a nice setup!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you are gonna pull both get the fifth wheel rails. then you can pin up any hitch you want. that is the set up i have. pulling a fifth wheel with the gooseneck adapter SUCKS imo.
so you're saying buy 5th wheel rails, and both hitches (5th wheel and gooseneck) just swap them out when needed and if i don't need them; it will just be the rails in the bed of the truck? so i won't need to drill a 4" hole in my bed, just the holes to mount the rails?

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeah b&w has a 5th wheel hitch that drops in where the gooseneck ball goes in and i don't like the fifth wheel rails can't hall flat stuff or skids my $.02

·
Registered
45 Posts
I pull goosenecks and we have a 5th wheel with gooseneck adapter (it's a colibert adapter).......works great for me. Swivels more side to side. Plus half the price and doesn't take up bed room

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
You can't beat a Rhino liner. It may me $100 more for a Rhino but it's worth it. I won't even think about using a cheaper type of liner. All liners are not created equal.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Owning an RV Center I have seen many different combinations of hitches and is really up to the customer on what they prefer. You will have no issues doing the bedliner first being 50% of the trucks we do already have one when we install the hitches.

The B&W hitch is a great goose hitch and can be converted over to a fifth wheel via the companion. This is if you don't want rails in your bed and dont mind putting a hole in the center of the bed.

The other popular option we install is a Reese 15K Pro fifth wheel hitch with rails. You can also buy the Reese goose plate that installs on the rails. I normally leave mine installed under the fifth wheel head unit being they don't use the same slots on the rails.

This is by far the cheaper route over the b&w setup. I you don't mind the rails, then it's a great setup. If you have a short bed truck make sure to get a slider hitch so that you don't smash your cab on tight turns.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the great advice guys!

i think i decided on going ahead and having the stealership do the bedliner (they are doing the Linex for $297) and then doing the B&W goose. then when the time comes, if i need to, i will get the B&W companion kit for the 5th wheel.

i don't mine having the 4" hole in the bed, and like the ease of the B&W hitches.

thanks,

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts