Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been having an issue with my father-in-law's 01 3500 dually. He's been going through brakes like nothing, and we cannot figure out exactly why. He doesn't ride the brakes, no sudden stops, all in all, doesn't abuse them. We've put two sets of rotors and pads on the rear of the truck, and he's sick of doing that. I was curious if there was a heavier duty option to use.

Thanks guys

Premium Member
What is he doing with the truck, DD, Hauling (heavy) anything other than that?

Registered
What type and brand of pads is he using?
Crap pads will give Crap life!
I don't have an exhaust brake yet, but run ceramic pads up front and best quality, NAPA shoes in the rear.

Registered
I would suggest the 3rd Gen conversion. I amazed at the breaking power and longevity.

Mopar1973Man.Com
I tow all the time but since I got a exhaust brake I rarely every touch the service brakes on the truck... Here is a preview of it...

Normal come to a stop with a slight down hill grade. It mark with subtitles when I use exhaust brake or service brakes...

Then traveling down 7% grade with tight corners... No service brakes are used.

Then hauling firewood off a signle lane mountain road no service brakes are used.

My factory OE brakes lasted till 185K miles. I replaced them with the absolute cheapest pads I could get my hands on since the factor pad s are exactly that too. CHEAP... So if I can get 185K from cheap factory I'm sure I can do it again... :thumbsup:

Registered
Run ceramic brake pads. I know autozone sells them and they have a lifetime warranty. Never buy another set again. When they wear down take them in and get another set.

Rescue Tower
For the rears to be wearing that fast I suspect the issue is in the front end.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
His truck is mostly a DD, he occasionally tows one of our race cars on a car trailer, never anything real heavy. He has always hated the brakes on his truck to begin with, but I will look into the 3rd Gen brakes for sure

Registered
Third gen brakes are much better, worth every penny I spent on mine to upgrade them.

:flag:

Registered
Mopar man, Nice videos of hwy 95. I miss Idaho! Have you drove down that dirt road into hells canyon that has the warning signs. Think its on the other side of 95 from Whitebird

Registered
Wouldn't be something messed up in the rear load proportioning valve?

Registered
ceramic pads too hard, save on pads but go thru rotors like crazy, can't win

Registered
When I was doing pads on my 97 a friend that works at an independant shop recommended the Napa adaptive one pads. I think they are supposed to be partially ceramic but they didn't list them for my 8800 gvw truck. Might be worth checking into though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On a side note fellas, the info I found so far on the third Gen brakes hasn't been very clear. Would he need to go up to 17s if he did the swap only on the rear?

Registered
Have you checked the calipers and are their slides free moving. I had a car a long time ago that went through pads every six months. Took it to a shop to have the rotors replaced and the mechanic showed me the the pistons were sticking causing all the wear. Replaced the calipers and the pads went back to getting 2 to 3 years out of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts