Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basicalyl my uncle owns a 1997 2500 5 speed ctd. 2wd. its been sitting for a while and needs a little tuning up. also it has 166xxx and BONE stock.

here are the problems it has that im still stumped on.

1- for some reason whenever you turn the key on the parking lights are always on even with the headlight switch off. i was thinking maybe the headlight switch is bad itself.?

2- the BRAKE light and ABS light are ALWAYS on. im guessing the brake light is on because the brakes SUCK and have no fluid in the master. im hopefully going to be able to bleed them today.

the last question i have is nothing related to a problem more so me not knowing anything besides what my truck feels like. i drve this thing and it seems like anything under 1800-2000 rpm if you mash it the its a DOG. does that sound about right.

thanks for any help -nick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats the best way to test for vaccum leaks

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
My brake and abs light come on together intermittently. How does a vacuum leak cause that? As for getting it to not be a dog, crank the star wheel up. You'll turn it toward the fender, not toward the engine. You'll need an 8mm allen wrench and a small flat screwdriver. Search for "star wheel" for where to look.

·
Registered
273 Posts
these things suck stock mine wouldnt go over 70 mph but stock you could hold it wide open on the highway and still get 17mpg. if you want more power do what they said and crank the star wheel as well as taking the stock fuel plate and cuttine it to a #100 profile or any # u want there is a picture of them on here somewhere. then cut off your muffler and stright pipe it . get a bhaf i got mine at autozone for 50 bucks. and adjust the pre boost fule screw on the back of the afc. if you are feeling like getting kinda in depth yo ucan dissassemble the afc and grind the foot down about an 1/8 of an inch for more travel. diesel power did these mods minus the \strightpipe and got 230hp and 610ftlb to the wheels when stock was 135hp and 350 ftlb just remember the clutch might start to slip i know mine did if i got on it to hard. governer springs will also make your truck much more drivable and have a wider power band when i did mine i removed head and lapped the valves and put in the #60 valve springs as well as porting the exhaust side of the head and the exhaust manifold. that and get ur self some 100 hp injectors from pensicola diesel and youll be stright. people say the pensicola diesel injectors are but i havent had a problem out of mine. yea they haze a little at idol and can be smokey but i still get 22mpg on the highway and can spin tires in 2nd and 3rd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks man all good advice. i think im going to buy the truck off my uncle so im working on it ahead of time, its getting sold either way so i need it working for him a.s.a.p. also i found out today its a 215hp motor according to the engine tag on the timing case.

so to be annoying but if you guys have any link to a wiki or sticky (very active on dtr not so familiar on here) for some of these things thatd answer alot of my questions.

as far as progress. master was dry in the rear resivour. so i got run and get fluid and bleed the heck out of it. also i found out that my power steering pump was dry. still point to vaccum leak???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blackimpala- thanks for the link. i actually opened my eyes and found the tech articles and sticky. some pretty good stuff in there.

i also read up on some vaccum leak threads and plan on going throug all the lines and checking them just to be sure that nothings burnt/cracked. ALL of the articles i read on the abs brake light were on 4x4 trucks luckily the one im working on is 2wd.

PROGRESS- so nothing really to much going on with it besides being covered in snow. my plan of attack goes as follows as soon as i get the chance to go outside and lay on the groudn with no snow.

fill and bleed the brakes to the fullest extent. still looking for info on how to bleed the ABS unit if necessary.

fill power steering fluid resivior and look for any signs of leaks

check vaccum system as best i can with methods found.

if you have ANYTHING at all to add please do im 100% open to all opinions and ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts