Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some ideas for an engine for a project. I know I want a mechanical diesel but I don't want a 12 valve. I had a buddy that had a ford f350 dually, older year model (80-99) in that range and it had a mechanical powerstroke/international engine and I was wanting one of those but I have no idea what its called or anything, and he doesn't know. Also Google has been failing me and I can't seem to get anything related to what I search for.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That would be 6.9L and it IDI(Indirect Injection). It was made by International(I believe). Someone else on here could give you more information.

·
Registered
726 Posts
dt366 inline 6 international very similar to the cummins.... some say stronger

·
Registered
659 Posts
No, it is not a DT360.

The engine would be a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI V8, built by international. The 6.9 was used until 87, in 88 they punched it out to a 7.3. 93 (I believe) the 7.3 was offered with an optional factory turbocharger.

They're reliable engines, but not a lot of power (even in turbo trim), hard starting when cold, and very noisy. The 7.3 IDI shares nothing in common with the 7.3 Power Stroke which was introduced in 1994.5.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
the 6.9 was a pile of crap, the 7.3 was not a punched out 7.3 it was actually a completely 'new' engine. The 6.9s were notorious for the cylinder walls literally rotting out...

Other than that, both of them use the 'disposable' injection system (just like the dodge cummins and chevy of that era), neither one really had enough power to get out of its own way.

They are pigs for cold starting, fuel economy is actually surprisingly good unless you put a load on it...

Personally, i would pass on the 6.9/7.3IDI idea...

If you want something 'out of the ordinary' and mechanical, find a perkins/cat or detroit...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was thinking about that 6.5l Detroit that GM used but I heard they're clumsy but lots of torque over low RPMs. I would appreciate the best mileage I could get as this is going to be an almost daily driver and play around toy and will probably rarely be used to tow.

I want an engine I can turn up to smoke. And at the same time get good mileage and don't say its impossible because my 12 valve is tuned to smoke and I get almost 20 mpg. But thing is, I don't want a 12 valve because everyone used them.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Then your outa luck. The 6.2 and 6.5 both are not really that great and have little to no aftermarket support.

A 3208 Cat might fit in a pick up, provided you could find a turbo charged one. They just smoke and fall on there face without a turbo.

A Perkins is a good motor, but hard to find parts for.

Or you could try and cram a 6V-52 or 6V-71 two stroke Detroit in a truck. But like the cat they are big and heavy. And adjusting the injector rack can be a time consuming pain in the butt. The plus side is you would save all kinds of money by not putting a stereo in it, because you would never hear it over the motor.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Could even use a 4V or 4I detroit. But yea, all kinds of noise and no go LOL

a perk-a-pillar would be nice because its not a very popular swap, aftermarket support is not really there but if your only looking to kill the low end with a 'smoke tune' you dont need aftermarket support!

Heck, even a 4045 john deere or something like that would be nice!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
the only other motor i'd contemplate swappin besides a cummins is the dt360. there are other inline motors out there that are stout and reliable, but the farther you get away from a cummins the harder it is to find parts, especially in the aftermarket world. dt360 gets my vote.

·
Registered
307 Posts
what about the 8.3 c-series cummins i think there 500 lbs mnore then the b my friend keeps talking about doing one.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
the 8.3 is massive compared to a b series (as far as fitting it in a pickup) and the extra weight is going to be hard to deal with as a 5.9 or any other small diesel is already hard on the front ends and coming close to overloading.

Not to mention the fact that you will twist your truck up like a twizzler if you stomp the pedal trying to get it to smoke LOL

But, that all depends on what the heck the plans are for this thing... im assuming its a pickup truck swap...?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's going in this 4 door medium duty international truck I found. I have no idea what its called or anything but I saw it and liked it. Its about the size of an 80's Kodiak/Topkick. I'm going to fab up a Pickup box for it or maybe use one from a truck. Nothing fancy. Dually axle is going to the scrap yard and I'm getting a single.

·
Registered
307 Posts
there is a kid arround here that has one like that its like a topkick but he put a pickup bed on it and put a 6v72 in it i think thats correct its a 2 stroke detroit and its a screamer ill look and see if i can find a pic.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i just did a search and found this on google but its a spitting image of the kid that arround here

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's pretty cool, mine will look better though :)

And if all else fails for the engine, I've got a 454 and a 9 speed sitting around.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Heres what the International looks like, except its just the cab and frame, nothing on the back. But yeah, if you know what kind of truck this is, please tell me.

It's got a 7.3 in it at the moment but it's destroyed and it's been picked over for parts as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
307 Posts
isnt there a thread on here about a guy truning an f-750 into a pickup also its a newer truck though?

Ill look it was looking pretty good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts