Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there dealt with an N14. My father owns one in his truck, Trying to find little performance gains on it. I know you can make boost sensor foolers and fuel temperature foolers for CATS. Was wondering if there was anything like that I could do to his cummins? And if so how do i make one?

CAT MAN

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has the celect plus fuel system. pt pump with unit injectors

· Registered
1,837 Posts
I know you can get a ton of power out of the N14. Might call up Cummins and ask about getting the computer turned up and bigger injectors. Don't let them tell you it can not be done. Unless the shop sold it the Cummins shop in Joplin Mo. has a quad turbo N14 pushin 1500 horse power.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not really looking for anything like that. He does have to drive it everyday and make a living with it, cant have it breaking down everytime he turns his head, but having that much power would be pretty cool.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am looking more for something that the home mechanic can build or modify? but thanks anyways heared that thoses pittsburgh power boxes are impressive

· Registered
84 Posts
When you say the PT pump, you are refering to the CELECT pump that doesn't have any throttle levers, right? Just want to make sure we're on the same page.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah its all electronic, on the same page.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Good luck getting cummins to crank it up. they MIGHT be able to get you a little higher tune.

But because you are talking about emissions controlled engines, you arent even legally allowed to play with it, let alone having cummins themselves do it!

You might get lucky though, generally each seies of engines can have emissions reg'd tunes for various power levels/curves. If your lucky, the engine in question doesnt have the higher tune.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah thats what i am running into, cant really do anything by yourself on one of these

· Registered
368 Posts
You cant really do anything on a Selectengine,or whatever its called. N14 is the best engine Cummins ever come out with. Bulletproof. But a select isnt an N14.
Anyway, You can put a FASS or Airdog fuel pump on it. Bigger fuel lines. Change turbo for a performance turbo to give you a little. I know when I had my 485 Detroit I put a performance turbo on it and when I had it dynoed I was told I was bumpin 500.:confused013:
Other than that.......... Pittsburgh Power.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
problem with a turbo is, the air doesnt make power...

You need more fuel to light a bigger turbo and the extra air is just to burn that extra fuel. Fuel makes power, air just keeps it burning and EGTs in check.

· CO President
2,621 Posts
You cant really do anything on a Selectengine,or whatever its called. N14 is the best engine Cummins ever come out with. Bulletproof. But a select isnt an N14.
Anyway, You can put a FASS or Airdog fuel pump on it. Bigger fuel lines. Change turbo for a performance turbo to give you a little. I know when I had my 485 Detroit I put a performance turbo on it and when I had it dynoed I was told I was bumpin 500.:confused013:
Other than that.......... Pittsburgh Power.
A Celect and a Celect plus are both N14's Cummins made them to keep emissoins in check before the released the ISX. I dont know what your HP and tourque is set at right now but I know on the Celect plus you can get a 525/1850 ECM for it. If yours is supposed to be a 475 or bigger ECM then it should be able to be turned up by any Cummins certified service shop.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its the 525/1850 horse ecm, I kindof figured that we couldnt do anything with it besides some aftermarket parts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well thanks for all the advice guys!!!!

· Registered
1 Posts
N14 Mods

While you are limited by what can be done by the ECM, there are still a few things you can do to free up some power and gain some MPG too...

1) Free flowing exhaust... get rid of the stock muffler(s) and any restrictions in the pipe, add a small resonator and let the motor breathe

2) Change the cam key. The later Celect +'s were capable of being rated at 525hp, this is with the cam being retarded a bit from the earlier celect to help meet emissions. Using a cam key from a 1844CPL will put the cam back in an earlier emission spec, and make the motor more responsive at lower rpms.

3) Polish the ports, intake, and turbo (free power is the best power) altho its a bit of work, a diesel responds the same as a gasser to anything that helps it breathe

4) Go junkyard scrounging and try and find a early-mid 90s N14 Celect with the "Ramshorn" exhaust manifold. These are a straight bolt on, and flow better than the newer manifolds that came on the Celect +. Better yet, find one, polish it out and have it hot coated!!!

5) wrap the air pipes with heat wrap between the turbo and air to air, and from the air to air to the intake

6) add the pittsburgh power ecm box, these things flat work, and if you've done the other mods, they REALLY make the motor come alive!!

7) If youve added the pittsburgh power box, change to the bigger turbo, DO NOT do it unless you have added the box tho. The turbo will be TOO big for a stock motor and it will actually run worse without the ecm box.

While some of those mods involve a bit of work, they are all proven N14 mods and will result in power gains without trading reliability:party018:

· Premium Member
613 Posts
if your at 525 and 1850 thats all there is stock,other then that do what brz1968 said. i think the pittsburg power boxes are around 1800-2000 bucks. i have an ht80 turbo off an n14 if your interested.thats prob. what he already has though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.