Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Mystery hole

1097 7
So I'm in the middle of an overhaul on my engine because of a dropped valve seat and I thought what the heck. My question is while looking into my cylinder upon inspection I noticed a hole above the top main bearing bore right next to the piston squirter. What are these holes they are visible on every cylinder
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts

Is this what your talkin about? Thats where the squirters used to go till they changed to the newer version like these.

Reactions: hpstran

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I'm looking at are they plugged with a small steel ball or what cause they look different in each cylinder like pieces are missing

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Yes they are supposed to be plugged if there are the other squirters. Im not sure what the plugs look like but when i get them for the engine is the first pic ill let you know.

·
Hootie Hooo!!!
1,134 Posts
Awesome Pics! And very interesting! Thanks Spooled05! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The weird part is that they don't all match and it gets me wondering if pieces came out of the old squirters and now the oil stream is coming out half through the right one and a little out of the old style any input would be greatly appreciated as to what is actually supposed to be iN these holes because I have to resolve this issue for other work to get done thanks guys

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do common rails use both types? Maybe

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
They can use either but the new style is what they come with. When i tore apart the engine in first pic it had the old squirters and the newer ones pluged. I found one guy on comp d that also has seen this once and said engine had been gone through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.