Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so when my truck is nice and hot and I park it just after an all day trip including highway driving and around town driving, I have noticed a puddle of antifreeze under the truck in the morning. I have looked for this leak and I cant find anything both when I park the truck and in the morning. I also have put the clamp on the radiator overflow tube and at first I thought that solved it but it didn't work. So is there something that releases pressure and dumps it overboard? Or any ideas where I should look for this mystery leak. Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Check the 3 inch long rubber tube joining the two metal coolant pipes behind the turbo. This is a known leak point with symptoms exactly as you describe. I had this same problem. Put the new tubing and clamps on and problem fixed.

Reactions: KWashburn

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey is there a way you can post a pic. I think I see what your saying but I am unsure. Thx.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It'll be on the passenger side, between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. The hose will be foil wrapped with two worm gear clamps. Might get lucky and stop the leak by tightening the clamps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine looks like replacement might be a good idea. Do you need to drain down the coolant level or will you just lose what is in the hose?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Drain the coolant (heck may as well change it??) or your gonna loose coolant all over you and the garage floor.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That is what I figured. Coolant was just changed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome thanks guys! Wow not an easy fix! the gap the hose covers is like a 1/4" gap. I didn't drain the coolant also. Some drained out but not a ton. Loosen the one bolt and one nut that hold the aft section of tubing on. That gave me a little more room to play. Its not really a quick fix also, so do the change when you have some time and wont be rushed.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Time for me to replace mine, where can one purchase one other than the stealership.TIA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought and changed mine all in advanced auto's parking lot because my stupid apartment wont let me work on my trucks! Cant wait to be out of here and have my own garage!!!! the whole tube and new clamps was $4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update...from someone who used all Genuine Cummins parts and tried hose clamps. Still leaked! Get the hose from Cummins/Mopar, it is a strange size. DO NOT USE CUMMINS SPRING CLAMPS. DO NOT USE A "REGULAR" HOSE CLAMP, they leaked too. Get the "constant torque" hose clamps. NAPA sells them, or a commercial truck supply. They look like a fully lined hose clamp, with a spring tensioner on the screw. Expensive, but you only need 2. This finally solved my coolant leak on the bypass hose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you were buying a genuine replacement hose what is this part called?

I have started to lose coolant, could not locate a leak except for a small drip from the upper end of this hose. Gina check the hose clamp is tight first, but I might need to replace the hose.

·
Trying to learn
5,841 Posts
A better clamp most time fixes the issue.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, after checking that hose this morning it isn't just leaking at idle. It's leaking just sitting there. . .the upper hose clamp was a little loose so I tightened it. Hopefully that stops the leak; I will be replacing the hose clamps at the very least. . .the hose looks fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We'll see after work, but I tightened the upper hose clamp this morning (after I saw it dripping while just sitting there. . .truck not even running) and when I parked it after driving to work (25 mninute drive) the area that was clearly damp before was bone dry. . .hopefully no puddle under the truck and the radiator level is good when I get off.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
We'll see after work, but I tightened the upper hose clamp this morning (after I saw it dripping while just sitting there. . .truck not even running) and when I parked it after driving to work (25 mninute drive) the area that was clearly damp before was bone dry. . .hopefully no puddle under the truck and the radiator level is good when I get off.
Same as my sons 06 . Leaked when cooled off parked . Good sized puddle n constant drip.

Tighten the hose clamps . No leak .

I know thats not the proper fix , but worked .

·
Trying to learn
5,841 Posts
Why is that not a proper fix? A loose clamp causes a leak.
On my truck, the lower Rad hose at engine started dripping, moved the OEM spring clamp to make room for a worm-drive clamp, no more drip. 55k miles later with no leak still, I decided to replace the 15-year-old Rad hoses. Used the same clamp from the bottom hose and replaced the other 3 OEM with a worm-drive style. No leaks as of today.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
This sounds like what is called a cold water or coolant leak.

The biggest issue that causes cold water leaks is dirty or rough hose connections either from rust or a bit of hose stuck to the connection. I've seen cold water leaks on brand new connectors and hose mating also but it is rare and usually due to an imperfection in one or both.

Make sure your connections are very clean and free from rust, hose or calcium build up. Stainless hose clamps are best but spring clamps work quite well also. They are the biggest pain when you don't have the proper tool to spread them.

Another good idea is go get yourself a few gallons of distilled water at the grocery store. Using tap water is not the best to keep your cooling system healthy. :)

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Why is that not a proper fix? A loose clamp causes a leak.
On my truck, the lower Rad hose at engine started dripping, moved the OEM spring clamp to make room for a worm-drive clamp, no more drip. 55k miles later with no leak still, I decided to replace the 15-year-old Rad hoses. Used the same clamp from the bottom hose and replaced the other 3 OEM with a worm-drive style. No leaks as of today.
Not a proper fix , because of the circumstances i guess.

I was visiting my son in Colorado for the first time , and would you know it that is when he / we saw the coolant puddle.

He or his room mate have NO TOOLS , nada very little. Zip.

The steel pipe hose juncture is pretty rusty looking esp the Y in the one pipe which is close to the rubber hose n clamps .
I thought the worst , because of the pipes condition .

Anyway they couldn't round up any tools barely .

Sooo being the Dad ,, I fixed it ( tightened the clamps) with a lil swiss army knife turned sideways used as a screwdriver and a 5/16" / 10 mm cast alum super cheap wrench . The kind of cheap wrench that comes in a motorcycle roll up Emg Tool Kit .
In less words i didn't even have a real screwdriver or real wrench.
BUT , leak "fixed " .

Reactions: Broncowilly
1 - 20 of 23 Posts