Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This doesn't seem to be urgent... but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen. It's one of those things that happen, nothing seems wrong, and then it's fixed after a few minutes. So, here's what happened:

I was out driving around, highway and some back roads, found some muddy roads and puddles... so whatever, was driving around on just gravel roads for another 20minutes, then hit the highway (about 8 miles out of town) and was good for a few miles... THEN I felt it start "surging" or "bucking"... like the throttle was all weird, tight, then loose, when I gave it throttle it bogged down hard then started, sounded like a miss or something.
So pulled over right away, as soon as I hit the clutch, the engine died. Now here's the weird part, all my gauges were fine - EGTs were a normal 800ish for doing 70mph, fuel pressure was it's usual 18-21psi (yes, a bit low... need new overflow valve I think), boost was low as is usual, and it wasn't a boost issue anyways. Oil pres, volts, water temp, fuel... everything was fine.
But it died once I hit the clutch, like it wasn't getting fuel. So I stopped, looked... seen nothing out of the ordinary, spun the fuel cap off to see how much pressure was built up... nothing out of the ordinary there, and no fuel leaks. So, gave it a few mins, hopped in... she fired right up... took an extra crank... seemed like it lost it's prime. It ran fine after, blowing smoke like usual under low rpm load, revving up, boost up to 30+... everything was normal.

Could this may have been as simple as the rough roads, mud, water causing the fuel shutdown to close... and not re-open until I hit the start position again? As this happened to anyone else?
This is the only thing I can think of to have happened... is it a weak linkage, should I replace it... or was it just a very rare thing, just happened...

Sorry for the story... lol, just wanted to figure this out before it becomes a true problem (if it will).

·
AlGores worst nightmare
2,010 Posts
Fuel solenoid problem is possible. Check the (blue?) wire at the battery for loose connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 05 and it did the same thing, no check engine light - everything looks fine. It has'nt happened since. I'm definetly curious what it might be if anyone has an idea?

·
Cummins Power Addict
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the battery... this could be very much the problem (I'll check in a bit), but yah... I was stupid and put some "competition" battery ends on last summer, and they suck. Everything is coming loose out of them... so FYI everyone... stick to normal clamp on battery ends... nothing big and special lol

Fuel solenoid problem is possible. Check the (blue?) wire at the battery for loose connection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts