Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just another update. I've got about 200 miles on the setup so far. I noticed yesterday driving home the EGT's are little higher on WVO. I attribute this to the lower cetane WVO has compared to diesel. So I've added a 8oz of Power Service Diesel Kleen + cetane boost. Seems to have a lot more power on WVO now, and EGT's were a little lower this morning. Hopefully I'll get a better idea this afternoon since air temps will be higher.

Here's a pic of the stuff.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Congrats on your successful fuel system,Its gotta feel good driving past those gas stations now!Do you have any problems aquiring WVO in your area?We find the better greek and japanese places have the cleanest wvo,they change it often so the calamari and tempura tastes right, cleaner oil equals bigger dodge cummins power

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nope no problem. We've got a co-op going I guess you could say. There's 4 of us collecting and refining. With all of that we deal in a large volume.

Diesel Kleen seemed to make a difference today as well! EGT's ran lower today even in 98F. I assume it'll help cut down on coking as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anyone is interested I can tell you a little more about the wiring. There's quite a bit of wiring to all of this.
I just bought a truck that is very similiar to yours, and am going to attempt to make it run on WVO. Wiring is going to be the most dificult part for me.... if you could explain a bit more about it to me I would really appreciate it.
you can email me at [email protected]

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Honestly I wouldn't bother with a hot setup like I built. I should have updated the thread. I had nothing but VP44 issues when I did this. The VP44 users the fuel to cool the computer on top of the engine. After I stopped running the hot fuel, no more problems. The VP44 just doesn't like it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How are you heating your WVO now

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alternatives??

Is there any way around cooling the VP44 with fuel? How bad were you're problems?... it seems from your initial posts that you ran this system for quite some time before you gave up on it.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nope, the computer for the VP is built onto the housing. If you could get a special pump built with a long ribbon cable for the internals to the computer then possibly. I ran it for a couple of tanks but kept getting P0216's from the heat. It runs fine on diesel though with no codes.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just an update, I'm not running much WVO anymore so I've turned the heated lines off. (Ball valves are nice!) But I'm still using the tank for my Jet A/2 stroke/WVO blend. I was having issues with the trash the draw straw was picking up. I had swapped the filter thinking it was simply clogged a week ago. It helped, but I still had issues. So today I pulled the straw out and picked the metal screen out. It was nasty!

Now I didn't simply just put everything back together. I installed a 3/8" fuel filter you get from the parts store before the fuel pump. This will help the pump live longer. And it'll give the $20 fuel filter a longer life as well.

I'll give a drive report once I get home. But with how fast the pump pressurized the system, I suspect it's a great improvement.

I'd recommend any of you to install a cheap filter like this prior to your fuel pump. $3 every now any then is a lot cheaper than a fuel pump! Plus it's gotta help stretch some life out of your main filter.

·
Registered
585 Posts
i have been blending 2-storke,wvo, and #2 for about 12,000 miles now and no trouble. i think it is the wmo that wont mix...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe this is old news . . . the thread sure is.

I saw where some others had traced the code problem on the VP44 down to particles in the WVO larger then 2 micron. Claims were they once a 2 micron filter was used, the codes went away, and the VP was happy from then on. Has anyone else had this success?

I am intent on swapping my '01 Dually over to use free fuel to tow the race car around the Midwest. Should make for a much cheaper race weekend.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Maybe this is old news . . . the thread sure is.

I saw where some others had traced the code problem on the VP44 down to particles in the WVO larger then 2 micron. Claims were they once a 2 micron filter was used, the codes went away, and the VP was happy from then on. Has anyone else had this success?

I am intent on swapping my '01 Dually over to use free fuel to tow the race car around the Midwest. Should make for a much cheaper race weekend.
The VP44's life is going to be cut short if you send 170+ F WVO through it. No way around that. Unless you plan on cutting the WVO a lot with something and run it non-heated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So if I blend successfully with say 10% gas max. I may be able to match viscosity of diesel. Then only issue is starting engine on cold oil. Maybe the fix for that is to have a small diesel tank to start and shut down. Would use manual tank valve to swap to main tank with blend in it after slightly warmed up.

Anyone tried that? I hate to subject myself to the alleged issues when running wvo in a cold engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
475 Posts
You can't match diesel viscocity using any amount of WVO. The best you can do is to match the flash point and an acceptable level of viscocity. WVO shouldn't ever be used unheated when your coldest ambient temperatures dip down to 45deg. F. Any temp below that will cause solidification and clog filters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have kept on with the research.

Just read Ray Holan's book "Sliding Home." A good read for sure. Read a lot of things I had already learned, but also found some new info and good resources for parts etc as well.

He goes through the whole idea of blending, and what to blend with. At the end of the day, Kerosene is really the best blending agent of all. Doesn't fool with Cetane rating (like gasoline does, makes it lower), and the cost is decent, fairly available, and the viscosity is half that of regular D2 diesel. That makes it the better choice overall - since it's lower viscosity you would use less of it to achieve the same target.

I know patracy had issues with heat, or viscosity, or ???, I have seen quite a few different posts on the different sites. Not knocking him for sure, but it seems there are still several companies that make "kits" for the VP44 trucks and say they have success with them. Is it possible that while driving the oil temp went down (since consumption went up) and the thicker oil caused the timing issues / dead pedal / codes that he reported?

I'm thinking that a blend of 10-30% Kero, along with heating to a lower temp like 120-140F, would get the viscosity the same as D2 or close to it, while not subjecting the VP to quite as much heat.

The trick will be to regulate that temp. I think Plantdrive makes the Vegtherm line of electric heaters. Perhaps one could dial the temp in that way.

Though there are not many examples out there on the forums, there are at least a few that claim they have done conversions (or upgrades as Holan calls them) on the VP trucks and are still running with no issues. The problem is that is seems to be difficult to contact such an individual for any real solid info. Some of the posts are years old, so I don't know what the latest results are.

I hate the thought that I need to trade trucks with someone to make use of WVO. P pump conversion is just too costly I think, although if the VP goes out, then maybe it makes sense afterall.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The local WVO conversion shop won't touch a VP44 rig. It's a ticking time bomb already.

Patracy - I'd really like a write-up/instructions about how to use the 555 chip as an automotive timer. I have a non-diesel application I'm searching for a solution for and this could be it. If you don't mind...

21 - 40 of 42 Posts