Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

My turbo diesel walkbehind snowblower!

4310 Views 16 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  bighorn59
Built a snowblower worthy of hauling around in my dodge. 10 hp yanmar diesel off generator + 2 old blower chassis + to4 turbo = damn near unstoppable! Heres the vid me and my brother made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-hRflBBPdM
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Definately needs the Cummins' "C" on it somewhere!!! :thumbsup:

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Dang that thing is a beast!

· Registered
161 Posts
Needs a block heater! How hard is it to prime when ran out of fuel?

You guys had a long winter already?

· Hold my beer
1,358 Posts
:drool2:I Want One!

· Registered
493 Posts
You guys are crazy!

· Registered
1,231 Posts
that is awesome. i got an 70's ariens blower. i got a 5hp honda for it. never put it on yet. what Engine number do you have? you got a breakdown on parts you used, belts and adapters? i think i might do this!

· Just Another Slow VP
5,247 Posts
that thing is awesome!!:blues::thumbsup:

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Snowblower parts

The old ariens works great becouse they are strong and they only use a single belt to brive the auger and transmission. The engine is an lv100 yanmar. Mine was from a generator so it had a taper shaft. I had to cut the snout off the generator rotor and bolt that to the shaft and then use a taper lock pulley to clamp it to the shaft (if you look close at the beginning of the vid you can see it). I used a 4 inch crank pulley instead of the factory size 2 inch becouse the added surface area will not allow the belt to slip with the added power, and it allowed me to run the engine at a lower rpm with the same auger speed. I also used a wider 1/2 inch belt over the factory 3/8 becouse it will hold more power. Also had to build a new engine mounting plate becouse the base on the diesel is way bigger. Throttle linkage is also different and I had to Custom make my own bracket and linkage to mount to the engine. Becouse of the added width I also had to move the chute crank to the left and down and modify the bracket on the chassis. Engine did not have a fuel tank on it either so I mounted it in the rear and I use a Mr Gasket electric diesel fuel pump to get fuel to the motor. It was a lot of custom work to get it all to function in a way that I could easily use it everyday, but it was worth it. Probably one of the only guys around who looks forward to blowin the driveway! I was able to get enerything I need to do it from local hardware stores, and grainger industrial supply for the pulley parts and belt.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
ill see what i can come up with when i get more money to spend. yeah i love my old ariens. the old H50 took a dump. it runs but rough(im not gonna go through and rebuild it again) so i got a new 5hp horizontal shaft Honda. was a hot rod gocart motor i made up. then changed my mind, it went 40mph with me (200lbs) on the cart with little 7"x4" in front, 12"x7" rears. solid suspension full roll cage.

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,491 Posts
I've got a yanmar clone I'll eventually drop into a small motorcycle I've got. I'm curious about your turbo setup. What do you think it has power wise after that? They're only 10hp motors, but I'd like to see 15hp out of what I'm planning.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure what it does for power. I do know it does not bog down at all anymore, and it cleaned up most of the black smoke under load. Chek out my video from last year and you will see the difference. I know you can alter the timing and max fuel delivery on the pumps, could probably have the injector reworked and im sure with a similar turbo setup it would make 15 hp. Just have to remember its running 21:1 compression so 5 psi of boost or so is probably all it would handle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.