Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having to put antifreeze in my truck. It empties the reservoir every few thousand miles. There is no coolant in my oil and there is no oil in my coolant. Any ideas where it's going?

Premium Member
Check for stains between the head and block below the thermostat housing. Fairly common to get an external coolant leak from the head gasket in that location. And sometimes the coolant sprays out such that the stream hits the exhaust manifold and evaporates so you may not even see a puddle of coolant under the truck.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey

Premium Member
Check for stains between the head and block below the thermostat housing. Fairly common to get an external coolant leak from the head gasket in that location. And sometimes the coolant sprays out such that the stream hits the exhaust manifold and evaporates so you may not even see a puddle of coolant under the truck.
^^^^^ this. My truck did the same thing, lost coolant there but never left a drop of liquid on the ground and nothing out the exhaust or into oil.

Registered
Not a likely scenario, since it's been driven for awhile.
But if it's a automatic your heat exchanger could be leaking coolant into your tranny fluid.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. Thanks. To be clear, it that's the problem I need a new head gasket?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
But if it's a automatic your heat exchanger could be leaking coolant into your tranny fluid.
I will check my tranny fluid. Truck shifts great, though.

Premium Member
How is that no
How is that not likely since it鈥檚 being driven? I put like 10k miles on my truck with that head gasket leak (it is a slow leak) it is common for guys to drive their trucks with that leak. New gasket now and the issue is gone.

Registered
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Typing out my thoughts is hard for me.
If it was leaking into the tranny fluid I would think the clutches would be toast in short order, but maybe not.
What do I know?

Premium Member
How is that no

How is that not likely since it鈥檚 being driven? I put like 10k miles on my truck with that head gasket leak (it is a slow leak) it is common for guys to drive their trucks with that leak. New gasket now and the issue is gone.

I think he was trying to say the trans cooler leak isn't a likely scenario. Because if it had a trans cooler leak, and was putting coolant in the transmission , the truck wouldn't drive very far before the trans gave up.

The head gasket leak under the thermostat is fairly well known and definitely a plausible scenario to say the least.

Premium Member
A
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Typing out my thoughts is hard for me.
If it was leaking into the tranny fluid I would think the clutches would be toast in short order, but maybe not.
What do I know?
ahh we were talking about two totally different issues yes if antifreeze gets into ATF it does not last long since the clutches fall apart in the presence of water I鈥檝e experienced it first hand.

I thought you were saying thehead gasket issue wasn鈥檛 likely since it was being driven sorry ;)

Registered
The head gasket leak under the thermostat is fairly well known and definitely a plausible scenario to say the least.
Yes, but even as a seep it is fairly easy to spot. I put over 10k miles on mine before it annoyed me enough to change the head gasket. In that whole time I used less than a gallon. The pinhole leak in a heater hose spraying onto the exhaust manifold was a lot harder to find. That wan't using the quantities the OP is experiencing though.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey

Registered
mine was doing this...but perhaps a bit more slowly...found that my rad was weeping and my heater core had a small pin hole in it. after fixing these...no problems losing coolant...and i was paranoid checking my rad/overflow ALL the time too...lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts