Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
So, I've looked around at wheels and there isn't much that I like. I'm a fan of the AEV wheels, specifically these:

Ram Katla Wheel - American Expedition Vehicles - AEV

I've asked a few people and am getting the feedback that a 37x13.5x17 tire should really be on a rim wider than 8.5". That is the minimum on the Toyo site, but the actual width of the M/T is 14".

The alternative is to get teh 10" wide version of the wheel. I plan to do bigger flares so I don't think they'll stick out too much, but I also don't want to buy the 8.5 and one day decide bigger is better and have to drop another grand on rims. Buy once and be done. Any alternate rim ideas welcome.

Thoughts?
Wheel width. You can run 8” all day with the 13.5’s. Even the Toyo M/Ts which are around 14.50. I know what tire shops say about it too. I would run a 8-9” max wheel. 10” wide wheel is not that good for wheeling. You will be cutting or grinding a lot to not rub at full compression. Back spacing and off-set are very important. 4.5-5” back spacing is where you want to be. Also with a 10” wide wheel you may experience earlier maintenance on ball joints, tie rods, unit bearings. A lot more stress now. Anyways. I see you ordered 10” wide, but just wanted to inform you. The rest of your list is spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wheel width. You can run 8” all day with the 13.5’s. Even the Toyo M/Ts which are around 14.50. I know what tire shops say about it too. I would run a 8-9” max wheel. 10” wide wheel is not that good for wheeling. You will be cutting or grinding a lot to not rub at full compression. Back spacing and off-set are very important. 4.5-5” back spacing is where you want to be. Also with a 10” wide wheel you may experience earlier maintenance on ball joints, tie rods, unit bearings. A lot more stress now. Anyways. I see you ordered 10” wide, but just wanted to inform you. The rest of your list is spot on.

That's the exact thing I've been worried about, but an 8.5" rim just seems small for that width of tire.

I figured since the AEVs are specifically for our trucks that everything would have been thought out to avoid rubbing issues, but they do seem to be a 4th gen+ product.

I'll have to see what I can do, but if I end up with the 10" rims and they don't rub, I'll be happy for the moment. If stuff starts wearing out, then I'll have a decision to make. Once that happens though, I may end up going the true beadlock route and get true off-road rims.

These rims should be nice enough to last me many years, but not so expensive that I'll cry if they have to be replaced. I also don't want to look like I'm driving a roller skate.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Got some stuff today. The rest will be here next week or so.

Reactions: Bad V2

·
Registered
906 Posts
Right on!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got the rest. Shackles and sway bar links. Boy does Thuren make quality stuff.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So, nothing fun to report, but I did get two doorman harnesses for the back doors. Both had issues so I opted just to get a new harness. Wires had been crimped already so that's really the only option.

Super easy if anyone is hesitant to try it.

It really does go in just the one way.

Not sure what that tacky/sticky stuff is, but it peels off easy enough.

That plug is a pain to get to, but nothing too difficult.

The hardest part is getting the rubber part back into the door so you can pull the old harness out.

Did an EGT probe too for my CTS2, and that was a lot more difficult than I thought it'd be. The drill bit didn't want to go through the damn manifold, then when it did, it was at a bad angle. Got it to work though since I got a good tap.

Glad to finally be working on this thing. Even it it is maintenance stuff.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not suspension related, but this one is pretty exciting.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, this is also exciting. New mirrors from Top Gear Auto Sport. Very well made for the price. Plug and play is very nice. I may do the wiring for the extra stuff like running lights, but for now I'm good.

Before

After

Comparison.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
All right. Now things are moving. Got my wheels (thanks again @Dude_57) and these things are nice. Now to order tires.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ordered tires today. I was not aware of a tire shortage, but here we are.

I had wanted Toyo M/T as a tied for first choice, but that was a no go for many months. Same with the BFG mud terrain.

I had been eying the Nitto Ridge Grappler and have seen it on many trucks around here, so that's what I got since it was in my top 3 (top 2 really). Should be ready in a few days.

I haven't had the ability to drive off road for many years so I'm going to pretty much start over with this truck. This tire should be good for 99% of what's around here so I'm not worried about that, but if they end up not working out all that well I'll re-visit tires then.

I read a few reviews on here from users and they all seem to like them quite a lot.

Got a good deal since I had to buy tires for wife's durango.

Now to see how much of this lift I can reasonably install by myself. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Got my light bar installed. That was a LOT more work than I thought it would have been. Those bolts are not easy to get to if you have normal size hands.

·
Clayton @ DDP Motorsports
3,860 Posts
You are most welcome and can't thank you enough for the business! Mine is right there beside you with getting everything completed. Im waiting on the rear full leafs and to weld on my alien long arms. :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
Well, well, Clayton. Did not know this was you all this time. Hahaha.

·
Clayton @ DDP Motorsports
3,860 Posts

Woah… don’t tell me I’m that blind and didn’t even think about who this might be… Lou???

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You are most welcome and can't thank you enough for the business! Mine is right there beside you with getting everything completed. Im waiting on the rear full leafs and to weld on my alien long arms. :D

View attachment 926321

View attachment 926322

View attachment 926323

View attachment 926324

View attachment 926325

View attachment 926326

View attachment 926327
Very nice. Well done. You've gone a bit further than I'm going to this go round, but I do like the wheels :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

Woah… don’t tell me I’m that blind and didn’t even think about who this might be… Lou???
Ha. The internet truly is a magical place.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So, I found a couple of bolt kits online that replace the leaf spring torx bolts with grade 8 hardware without torx heads. I don't have any bolts for my shackles so I figured I'd just get a kit and replace everything while I'm under the truck.

With 215k miles I figure it's a good idea to replace as many of the nuts/bolts as I can in case I have to cut any. If I don't have to cut, should I still replace just because I can?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Found a guy on ebay that will get me everything I need for the install in upgraded hardware. I'll see what he comes back with and let you guys know. The mopar prices for OEM are pretty high for this stuff so this might get me a slight upgrade and a bit of savings.

·
Registered
06 Ram 2500
87 Posts
If you have a decent hardware store, the bolts should be easily located, 5/8 hex bolts will work over the m16, I think it was 4.5" or 4.75" long

21 - 40 of 54 Posts