Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm finally starting to try and piece together a 3" lift for the standard 37" tire combo, but I won't be able to go all out at once so I want to buy the smartest parts first, then build upon it as I can.

So, my first thought is to go with the Thuren 3" springs, track bar w/bolts, overland shocks all around, high clearance control arms, and rear lift shackles.

From what I can tell, that should be a pretty much complete basic Thuren kit. Am I missing anything?

I plan to add a 08.5 steering upgrade too since it makes sense to do that part as well.

Is this a good start or am I going to regret not doing some things the first time?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
That's a really good start to a 3" kit. I have Thuren springs, track bar, control arms and shackles. I started with the Overland shocks and was pretty pleased with them for daily driving and dirt roading. I actually liked the Overland shocks a little better on the road than the King 2.5's I have now. But offroad is where the Kings out perform.

My advice on changing the control arms, order 2 new low control arm bolts the caster adjustment ones. Half the time they are rusted solid and need to be cut out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would imagine it would probably be a good idea to replace any of the bolts I remove just due to age/mileage.

I think I'll see if I can find a kit that comes with new hardware. Do the Thuren parts come with bolts other than when they give that as an add on option?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Looks good. I would get the biggest shocks you can afford to do that only once. But if your saving, then Overlands work good. You will want rear leafs to give the truck great ride and performance. Thuren's LT leafs are great. Carli's also a good choice. Also get Thuren's Boogie Bumps. A must. Great choice on 08.5+ steering. Add Thuren's drag link later and it is a bulletproof set-up. I think better than Synergy's steering. You can also try running without a sway bar and see if you like it. If not, Thuren's. My opinion.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you can afford it now, Carli or Thuren sway bar will give you the most feel for the money spent. The difference is absolutely incredible

Reactions: panteragstk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input so far. I think I'm going to pice this thing together to eventually have a total system pretty much the same as @Bad V2 since that's the direction I'm going with the truck.

For now the cheap shocks will do just fine. I'll eventually go all the way to a bigger shock, but for now I just want a good starting point and I think I've got it.

All the other parts mentioned are on the list for sure.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The money you spend on the cheap shocks could be saved up or used on something else. If it was me, I would just wait and do it one time and be done with it. Up to you though! It’s going to be cool either way

Reactions: Bad V2

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The money you spend on the cheap shocks could be saved up or used on something else. If it was me, I would just wait and do it one time and be done with it. Up to you though! It’s going to be cool either way
They're cheap enough that it doesn't bother me to keep them a year or so while I button up higher priority stuff.

However, I 100% agree that, if funds allow, do it once and be done. There are plenty of threads like this where guys start small, and replace it all with what they should have got from the get go.

I'm doing what funds allow me to. I've got a LONG list of things.

I will say that if the shocks suck, they'll get moved up in the list, but I bet they're better than my rancho 9000's that have God knows how many miles on them.

Reactions: BigmanT773

·
Registered
906 Posts
The Overlands are great for everyday use. Just not anything too hardcore. Also they make a great set of back-ups if and when the big boy shocks need servicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
They're cheap enough that it doesn't bother me to keen them a year or so while I button up higher priority stuff.

However, I 100% agree that, if funds allow, donut once and be done. There are plenty of threads like this where guys start small, and replace it all with what they should have got from the get go.

I'm doing what funds allow me to. I've got a LONG list of things.

I will say that if the shocks suck, they'll get moved up in the list, but I bet they're better than my rancho 9000's that have God knows how many miles on them.
This is true! Anything you get from Carli or Thuren will be better than the Ranchos haha

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The fun has begun.

Went to Home Depot for some stain for a woodworking project and remembered that I had paid off my HD card. Well, they had the air ratchet I wanted and the impact wrench. Got both along with a nice set of impact sockets.

I overpaid on my Milwaukee pry bars, but having seen what happens when those things break, I'd rather have the piece of mind. Got a BFH which I found out is called a dead blow hammer. Made the mistake of buying too small a compressor, but that's OK. Took it back and got the bigger/quieter model. The little 8.5 gal was OK, but that is the loudest electric motor I've ever been around. The 20 gal is at least half as loud and can run two tools at once.

Got a bigger jack and more jack stands. I like to have at least four under the truck for suspension stuff so I figure I can't have too many. I have a 2 ton floor jack, but I knew I'd need at least a 3 ton so I went ahead and got it. Just need to see if it's tall enough. I have a 20 ton bottle jack, but haven't been able to find an axle adapter people tell me exists, but doesn't seem to.

I've already got tons of sockets and large wrenches, but what are the common suspension bolt sizes so I can make sure I've got everything I need?

Now I just need to finalize my parts list and order some parts!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Cool! A set of 6-ton jack stands is all you need for the front. Take off front wheels to get full droop fro your springs. Make sure you have a large 1/2" breaker bar. The Husky one that ratchets is THE best tool ever for our trucks. Sockets are all metric so 17mm to 24mm deep sockets and extensions, in that range for suspension stuff. To be honest, I have a 1/2" air gun, but never use it for suspension stuff. Doesn't really fit in there. The large breaker bar works better for me. And lastly, get a friend that knows how to wrench if you can. Makes things a lot easier.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool! A set of 6-ton jack stands is all you need for the front. Take off front wheels to get full droop fro your springs. Make sure you have a large 1/2" breaker bar. The Husky one that ratchets is THE best tool ever for our trucks. Sockets are all metric so 17mm to 24mm deep sockets and extensions, in that range for suspension stuff. To be honest, I have a 1/2" air gun, but never use it for suspension stuff. Doesn't really fit in there. The large breaker bar works better for me. And lastly, get a friend that knows how to wrench if you can. Makes things a lot easier.
Ah. I did forget a good breaker bar. I guess Home Depot was out. Thanks for that.

I think I'm good on sockets, but I'll have to grab a few more wrenches in those sizes.

Luckily my brother in law is a plumber so he can easily turn a wrench, but his brother in law was a dodge mechanic so this will be easy for him. Luckily I've done a few of these trucks in the past so I have a decent idea of what I'm getting into.

I found a set of pure performance sway bar links that are adjustable so I'm going to add those to the list. They're cheap enough to tie me over till I get the Thuren sway bar. $122 isn't bad.

Reactions: Bad V2

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, I've looked around at wheels and there isn't much that I like. I'm a fan of the AEV wheels, specifically these:

Ram Katla Wheel - American Expedition Vehicles - AEV

I've asked a few people and am getting the feedback that a 37x13.5x17 tire should really be on a rim wider than 8.5". That is the minimum on the Toyo site, but the actual width of the M/T is 14".

The alternative is to get teh 10" wide version of the wheel. I plan to do bigger flares so I don't think they'll stick out too much, but I also don't want to buy the 8.5 and one day decide bigger is better and have to drop another grand on rims. Buy once and be done. Any alternate rim ideas welcome.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Placed my order with DDP yesterday. Thanks @Dude_57 for all your help.

The list so far:

THUREN 3 INCH COILS
THUREN ADJUSTABLE TRACK BAR
THUREN REAR SHACKLES
THUREN OVERLAND SHOCKS FRONT/REAR
THUREN STANDARD CONTROL ARMS
PURE PERFORMANCE SWAY BAR LINKS
4 17X10 AEV ONYX KATLA WHEELS

Very excited to get started. Once I get the wheels I'll order the tires from Discount.

Anyone know a good source for new nuts/bolts/hardware?

·
Clayton @ DDP Motorsports
3,860 Posts
Placed my order with DDP yesterday. Thanks @Dude_57 for all your help.

The list so far:

THUREN 3 INCH COILS
THUREN ADJUSTABLE TRACK BAR
THUREN REAR SHACKLES
THUREN OVERLAND SHOCKS FRONT/REAR
THUREN STANDARD CONTROL ARMS
PURE PERFORMANCE SWAY BAR LINKS
4 17X10 AEV ONYX KATLA WHEELS

Very excited to get started. Once I get the wheels I'll order the tires from Discount.

Anyone know a good source for new nuts/bolts/hardware?
Can't thank you enough for the business and look forward to getting you set up! Going to be one of my favorite builds this month for sure! I am also thinking of getting some AEV wheels for my rig but having a hard time deciding.... lol AEV, Method or KMC.....

Clayton

1 - 20 of 54 Posts