Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's fun watching my new gauges and seeing what the engine does, pyro/FP/boost.

Yet, I thought a stock ISB has a 20psi wastegate. Mine consistently hits ~ 25.5, then the needle pops down to about 24.5 and stays there as long my foot is in it. Is this normal? A problem? Is there a range wastegates can open?

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I had a '99 and that's about where mine ran stock.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm only hitting 17psi maybe 20 stock with a true flow air filter and straight pipe....is this bad?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not like I mind having lots of boost.......

Thanks for the info. Once I know the normal parameters on this truck I won't need to ask as many questions :)

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
i can hit 46 pounds lol

·
Registered
401 Posts
i run my hx35 all the way up to 27 pounds with my adren on 10 on the 2000 series tunes.... she really likes the top end

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
hmmm i think my turbo is crazy lol hahahaha anyone elses hit that high??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine pegs on the needle at 35psi, I not sure if its accurate but I've only got the MP-8, AFE stg 2, and 5" straight pipe

·
Registered
72 Posts
mines bone stock with a 5" TBE and with the snap-on scanner it was showing like 22-23psi.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
i can hit 46 pounds lol
Yours is a gen 3 common rail; they do run higher boost.

The gen 2 should waste gate around 20 PSI. Could be your waste gate is stuck, MAP sensor is reading a little off, gauge might be off, etc.

The real limit is mid-30's on the stock turbo. After that, you are outside the compressor map, creating super heated charge air and borrowing time on the bearings and shaft.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
There will be a big difference in pressure depending on where you put the gauge. I think they can run about 26-28 psi at the turbo out, but on the other side of the manifold often it comes down to 20-22. Of course, if it detects overboost in the manifold, the ecm will derate the engine to prevent this unless you have electronics to overcome this.

Oh, I mean for vp44 engines like mine.

·
Registered
661 Posts
i run my hx35 all the way up to 27 pounds with my adren on 10 on the 2000 series tunes.... she really likes the top end
im hittin 36 pounds with stock sticks on my first gen

·
Registered
117 Posts
your comp is probably cutting fuel with that high of boost with it being stock.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
Stock boost should be 18-19 PSI...

Edge Comp on 5x5 should be 32-35 PSI of boost...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had my stock lift pump replaced at Cummins, for a huge amount of :$: since my FP's were only 3-6 psi. They ran the codes, and an overboost code was found. The boost probe is drilled & tapped into the factory intake horn. The truck does run out of steam at 2700rpm, but I've hit 3200 a couple of times. I guess I should clean my MAP sensor. How do I check the waste gate?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
I had my stock lift pump replaced at Cummins, for a huge amount of :$: since my FP's were only 3-6 psi. They ran the codes, and an overboost code was found. The boost probe is drilled & tapped into the factory intake horn. The truck does run out of steam at 2700rpm, but I've hit 3200 a couple of times. I guess I should clean my MAP sensor. How do I check the waste gate?
Here is the cleaning of the two sensors
MAP Sensor Cleaning

IAT Sensor Cleaning

·
Registered
545 Posts
mine will spike 52 and hold jjust over 40 all the time since it was new.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts