Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not intended to be a Road Armor bash, I just want everyone to know my story, just in case they find themselves wanting a Road Armor.

There is a short version at the end for those of you with short attention spans.

First, a little background on me. I'm a Depot Repair guy for the B-1B, a heavy bomber for the US Air Force. We overhaul the birds every 5 years and we fix anything that the guys in the field can not. We had a bird catch fire in Guam a few years ago, and recently got funds to fix it. I was on the crew that went to Guam. From September 4th to May 20th me and 12 other men worked on this jet to get it flying.

I ordered my Road Armor, a Sahara model, around the 24th of December, I was in Hawaii for Christmas with my family. I was told I would have a 2 week build time, maybe slightly longer with the holidays, and then I would get my bumper. I returned to Guam a week or so later and forgot about the bumper. I dealt with Mikey, we emailed back and fourth due to the 15 hour time difference and I got everything signed and faxed to get the bumper paid for and built.

A month or two went by, and I called my buddy at the business where my bumper was being shipped. He hadn't seen it or heard anything, so I called Road Armor. No answer. I sent an email. I was assured it was being built and I would have it soon.

Another month passed. No bumper. No contact. I called and, you guessed it, no answer. I was having a hard time calling with the difference in time and the fact that Guam's phone service didn't allow me to dial 800 numbers, so all I had was a direct line to Mikey. So I emailed. No response. This went on for some 3 months. I was completely ignored. A member on here, Roid, managed to get hold of them on my behalf, and they assured him mine was next to be built.

A new Road Armor website popped up. Not included on this website was my Sahara bumper which I had very patiently been waiting on for months. So I email. And call. You know the drill by now. Around the first of May I had enough. I fired off a very unhappy email via Road Armor's website. I received an email from Mikey the next day. He said the Sahara had been discontinued for some BS reason and that they would *allow* me to change my order to another bumper. So, very unhappily, I agreed on a Stealth base with a Pre Runner guard. Not a bad bumper at all, but not the big mean Pre Runner look I wanted.

Fast forward to the end of May. I was home, so I could call the 800 number. So I did. I got the run around for awhile, the 'its almost done' speech a few times. Five weeks ago I started calling back, but they weren't answering. I drive 45 miles one way to work in the middle of the day. I have nothing but time, so I kept hitting redial. Eventually someone answered. This scared me at first, as I thought no one worked at Road Armor anymore. I was told it would be ready to ship Friday. Then it was the next friday, then the next. I'm a very easy going guy, very patient. I was fed up at this point. I've been very rude on the phone, demanding dates and to talk to someone else. I cant get either. It seems like the call center isn't at the same place that makes the bumpers.

Finally I get a confirmation that the bumper is done, it just needs powder coated and it will ship. On Friday. Nothing shows by the following Friday, so I call back. This was last Friday. I get the same girl who said my bumper was done. She tells me they have the material and it will be assembled soon, it should be done in two weeks. I had been lied to. When I asked her what had happened to my finished bumper she ignored my question several times. I was irate. Apparently my bumper had magically shed its powdercoat and disassembled itself. I could hardly believe it. I knew they did the Transformers trucks, but I had no idea the bumpers could actually transform into scrap metal. Of course no one was around I could talk to other than this... woman, so I hung up, a defeated, broken man. So here I am, without a bumper and high blood pressure. I sure hope if I ever get this bumper that it doesnt decide to transform itself back to a sheet of steel before an accident.

So long story short:

I ordered a Road Armor in December, they ignored me for almost 5 months, the bumper I ordered wasn't being made anymore so I picked a new one. It was going to be delivered on Friday for about 5 weeks. Then it was finally built. The following week it disassembled itself and needed two weeks before it could perform the same trick and transform back to a bumper. And thats where I'm at.

So think twice about buying from these guys. Sure they are nice to look at, but my blood pressure is rising just typing out this story. I could take my money elsewhere, but no one builds anything even remotely as attractive to the Road Armors in my opinion. And I'm thinking, if I'm lucky, the bumper will be able to teach the rest of my truck to transform and I'll get to be in the Transformers 3 movie.

If you read the whole thing thanks for your time, if you skipped to the end I dont blame you, it was pretty boring. Thanks again guys, and buyer beware.

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
Wow, I can see where your coming from, been there myself.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
Dude Alien Patrol Makes the same bumper's . Well close too :thumbsup

·
Registered
366 Posts
Any way to get your money back from them or stop payments?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
what a story! i read the whole thing.... i will never order from them. ever. there's no excuse for running a business and not building something that should take maybe 2 days to build after it's been paid for. they must not be building bumpers full time, they have other jobs and things to do and they do it on the side.... in that case, they need to either get their together or quit doing it altogether.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
there is a law not sure what but they can only charge your card a maximum of 30 days before the product is shipped so if they charged your card when you first placed the order then there are some legal grounds there...

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
Man, read the whole thing, and sorry to hear that bud. I never wanted one of their bumpers, but I will be sure not to second guess that. I plan on going to traditional route, and getting ranch hands.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My buddy ordered one it cost $1900 :$: they took the money out of his account the same day, he didnt get his bumpers for 5 months, once he got it had tried to put it on and the brackets were wrong its been 4 months now and still no brackets, they wont return our calls or answer the phone so we reported them to the BBB, so now we just :popcorn: I will never buy one or recommend them to anyone

·
Registered
787 Posts
Woowee. They don't deserve your money! Have you looked at any other companies? South Texas Outfitters is my favorite. They have excellent welders and those bumpers are STRONG. I have had 4 bumpers by them., One front even had the fold down seat and front receiver. But I am not sure that is the style you are looking for. Here is their website: http://www.southtexasoutfitters.com/ShowData.php?vID=2

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Road Armor is a bunch of crooks. They stole most of the designs from the former shop the guy worked for. Their service is legendary for being Shiite.:$:

·
Registered
838 Posts
my foreman just picked one up, and it didn't take long to get, less than a month, but the guy he dealt through said they were going out of buisness, anyone else heard this?

·
Diesel Junkie
4,683 Posts
Kind of strange you posted this now.....after our Firemens festival parade last Saturday,a local fella had his truck parked near the firehouse.
As I walked by,he was getting out of his truck , and I stopped to ask him how he liked the RA bumper.......
The paint was pealing off,and there was rust all over it...I figured he had painted it himself.......he paid for powder coat , but it sure didn't look like he got it.
He started to have finish problems while it was still under warranty, but they kept putting him off till the warranty expired......:thud:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
no road armour for for me...........well actually no bumper for me, cuz i like my stocky. but if i ever wanted 1.......it wont be a R A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I get the same girl who said my bumper was done. She tells me they have the material and it will be assembled soon, it should be done in two weeks. I had been lied to. When I asked her what had happened to my finished bumper she ignored my question several times. I was irate. Apparently my bumper had magically shed its powdercoat and disassembled itself.

This is perfectly normal service from Road Armor. No reason to be concerned. Just report them to the BBB and move on just like everybody else. :CRY::$::hateit::kick::(

Merrick

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
i hate to hear that. by the way i was in Guam for two years at Anderson. anyway i started calling all the companies that advertise on their site and told them the story, i had one lady give me a direct number for them 425.328.7413. i sure hope this helps you out

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
Wow and NOW they are a CF vendor.... as the plot thickens!

·
Registered
419 Posts
maybe with them being a vendor on here now and all the negative stories you guys are bringing up, you might get some resolution. good luck!

J-Mo

1 - 20 of 76 Posts