Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
No wind whether here is great 80* the. Pyro seamed to hover around 1000* -1050* even under light throttle. Maybe I will try timing 3 or just go right to a NC custom tune. Maybe Tomorrow i will try to find some time.
Mike,

This is what I see when I'm towing.

Climbing a 6% grade at 70 mph the EGT's max out around 1200-1250.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do I have to get the unlock code for mcc to run his tunes I know its a dumb ? I just wanna be sure before I buy it lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·

·
Registered
187 Posts
No it just replaces the tables that are already there so no MCC unlock is necessary. Also Mike try bumping up the timing and see where you are at with temps. I have been happy with mild 4 no ATT and the NC patch.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Is there a thread going or more info to be found from anyone who's laid these tunes over the dpf present tune?
Idk about another thread myself. Using a custom timing table on a dpf tune should yield similar results as to the dpf removed tune. The main difference will be a regent every now and again dropping mileage. However, the increased timing of a nc tune should create a cleaner burn at cruise and therefore prevent the dpf filling up as fast which means fewer regens. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't have his tune yet I'm prob gonna get it soon idk if u were asking me what nc tune I was running or if u were asking soneone else

·
Registered
187 Posts
Which NC tune are you running mild 4 No ATT on?
It was the original NC tune before this place went crazy and Dr. Tune was banned for a short time. PM me if you want more information.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I almost want to slap it all back on my truck and try out my current NC tunes to see what the results are. However I'm not That motivated and I know the long term is way better deleted.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Idk about another thread myself. Using a custom timing table on a dpf tune should yield similar results as to the dpf removed tune. The main difference will be a regent every now and again dropping mileage. However, the increased timing of a nc tune should create a cleaner burn at cruise and therefore prevent the dpf filling up as fast which means fewer regens. :)

pretty much my thoughts too, just curious if someone's actually done it thats reported back.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
pretty much my thoughts too, just curious if someone's actually done it thats reported back.
Mike,

All that info was on the thread that got deleted. It was actually a funny story because one of the members didn't realize he had a street tuner or didn't know if my tune was supposed to be used on a street tuner. Anyway, long story short he modified his street tuner with my files and actually got 1.5 mpg increase. At first we didn't think it was possible, but then we researched and found out that the street tuner with DPF present utilizes level 3 "default" map. LOL. :) The street tuners with DPF present won't have 5 levels, but as long as we make level 3 a map that fits their needs, it will provide great results.

NorCaler

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
i just ran my rig with the ORINGAL NC tune on a 100 mile trip at 65 mph. there are lots of continuous rolling hills in my area. the pic shows what i actually hand calculated the mileage to be. do you think there is much to be improved with the newer NC tunes?

i was running tow, timing 3, no att

Reactions: NorCaler

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
i just ran my rig with the ORINGAL NC tune on a 100 mile trip at 65 mph. there are lots of continuous rolling hills in my area. the pic shows what i actually hand calculated the mileage to be. do you think there is much to be improved with the newer NC tunes?

i was running tow, timing 3, no att

The newer tunes are much smoother. If you look at one of the newer timing tables vs the original you will see the timing advance is less blocky. The advance to the 6-8 degree range has been smoothed with tapering. I noticed much less timing rattle with his newer tunes. My tune starts at 2.5 degrees at idle and quickly shoots up to above 8 degrees at cruise but there's no rattle! Also some of the newer tunes go beyond the 22 cap of the originals. This allows people who run higher fueling to get a cleaner burn at full throttle. NorCaler has more specific tunes for peoples individual needs now. He still has safety margins built in with some of his tunes for guys with stock engines. He also has aggressive tunes for guys with modified engines and transmissions. Pm him to get the details.:thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Years ago, we had a guy in the St Louis area, named Jerry McDonald. He was a certified Cummins machanic. Not sure what all he did to the trucks back then, but he did mess with the timing. And our trucks ran like a scalded dog. He said there was a wide timing area spec and when you got them in where they should be, fine tuned that they ran their best. He did 2 of mine for me a 1990 and a 1994 cummins. My point is that we call him the McTunes of Cummins:party018:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mileage wise...not so much. But the power is better (anyway I think so) the egts are lower and you get timing for all levels. I am running NorCaler tune 11, I don't know how that compares to the big tire tune but it was well worth the money compared to the original.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mileage wise...not so much. But the power is better (anyway I think so) the egts are lower and you get timing for all levels. I am running NorCaler tune 11, I don't know how that compares to the big tire tune but it was well worth the money compared to the original.
My daily commute mileage went up as did my highway mileage. My tow mileage might have improved by a tenth or two!

101 - 120 of 157 Posts