Cummins Diesel Forum banner

My new Ram and axle fluid levels

27K views 81 replies 38 participants last post by  DogeTruck 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I picked up a new 2020 2500 Bighorn this week and after 500 miles I thought I would check the axle fluid levels. In the past I normally run them about a half inch under the fill hole or sometimes barely under and never had an issue.
I removed the rear fill plug, stuck my index finger down the hole and couldn't touch the fluid. I got a piece of thick wire, made about a 2" bend and stuck that down the hole which just touched the fluid. I added over a half Qt 75-90 and the level now sets about a half inch under. The front also needed a little less then a half Qt.

Anyone else find low axle fluid levels or is that the proper factory fill level?

Prior to my Ram purchase I started drinking the ford koolaid (aluminum body, 10 speed trans) but got my senses together and went with Ram.

Lovin my new truck

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, glad I checked it just wish I would have checked it even sooner. I wonder if the factory is trying to save money by putting in the bare minimum. I saw chalk marks near the fill plugs assuming someone checked the level.
Probably should check the transfer case as well.

I also noticed while crawling around they've changed the front driveshaft design (looks like my past 1500), no more grease fitting.

#4 ·
Yeah, glad I checked it just wish I would have checked it even sooner.
Then you can imagine how I felt when, against better knowledge, I didn't get around to check mine until at about 1,800 miles.
That poor magnetic plug couldn't even hold all the fine particles on it, let alone the larger pieces of metal.

EDIT: I did indeed check the levels when I first got it, but then everything still looked fine. Which makes sense with only six slow miles on it.

#20 ·
I also noticed while crawling around they've changed the front driveshaft design (looks like my past 1500), no more grease fitting.
I don't suppose you mind snapping a picture of it, as well as grabbing the part # off of it? could be worth swapping out mine to the newer style so i don't have to fight the fitting, depending on what they changed it to

#5 ·
Jimmy, I feel your pain and hope others will check theirs as well!!

By the way my magnet was dry too, clean as a whistle

#6 ·
When I saw the subject, I mostly only clicked it to see what @Jimmy N. had to say on the subject. Well, I did already know, but I wanted a reminder.
Against his recommendation, I waited 1600 miles, (since my tiny gas engine really doesn’t even need axle fluid) and checked mine. It was about 1/2”-3/4” below hole. Not a ton on the magnet either.

Reactions: Jimmy N.
#8 ·
Hi everyone, I picked up a new 2020 2500 Bighorn this week and after 500 miles I thought I would check the axle fluid levels. In the past I normally run them about a half inch under the fill hole or sometimes barely under and never had an issue.
I removed the rear fill plug, stuck my index finger down the hole and couldn't touch the fluid. I got a piece of thick wire, made about a 2" bend and stuck that down the hole which just touched the fluid. I added over a half Qt 75-90 and the level now sets about a half inch under. The front also needed a little less then a half Qt.

Anyone else find low axle fluid levels or is that the proper factory fill level?

Prior to my Ram purchase I started drinking the ford koolaid (aluminum body, 10 speed trans) but got my senses together and went with Ram.

Lovin my new truck

View attachment 913430
What brand of fluid did you add? Thanks.

#9 ·
I think the whole rear differential fluid level system is madness. Mine has a fluid level mark on the outside of the case about one inch or more below the hole. I assume others are the same. Just doesn’t seem to be an easy way to equate the outside mark to the inside level. Seems like a site gauge would be better but I guess economics won out. I know some after market covers have them but then you get into the madness of the shape and fluid flow of the aftermarket units.

Anyway, probably best to check and change early for peace of mind and to get out early wear metals.

#11 ·
Just doesn’t seem to be an easy way to equate the outside mark to the inside level.
Stick the tip of your pinky finger in the hole up to the 1st joint then bend it downward, if you just feel the fluid it is about 1" below the hole.

#10 ·
I added Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90. If that's not available either Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic are a good choice.
Mine was pretty low, almost a qt.

#14 ·
I just checked mine about 1.5 qts low in the rear and .75 in the front

#15 ·
Good thing you checked, especially the rear was pretty low

#16 ·
OH MAN THANKS for this thread.

Low is an understatement as my front took a full quart of this stuff. The magnet in the fill plug was dry also.

Then in the rear I added a little over 1/2 quart of Mobile 1 synthetic limited slip and still could not feel or find the fluid level. Opened up another bottle of the Valvoline in the picture and took another 1/2 bottle of it to get this fluid level.

Easy plug to open as it just takes a 3/8ths ratchet. Neither of mine were tight. Of note is my rear plug magnet had some "swarf" stuck on it. With the level so low I found that hard to understand. There is no drain plug on either differential so don't waste your time looking. No sign of leaks. That tells me I just drove and towed 22,000 miles with low differential fluid in my 2019 Cummins 2500.

Another crazy thing is these plugs are in the lower half of the differential. Don't know what they hold but was quite surprised they both took as much as they did. Check yours now and thank the OP for this thread.

#17 ·
That tells me I just drove and towed 22,000 miles with low differential fluid in my 2019 Cummins 2500.
Now you know why I always check all the fluids as soon as a new or new-to-me vehicle comes off the trailer at home, before it gets driven anywhere.

#19 ·
Lots of is an understatement. It's finally showing just a little crap on the magnet after having cleaned it maybe six times now.
The first time it didn't all fit on the magnet, and there was larger pieces, too.

#25 ·
I checked my diff levels yesterday. The front was 1/2 quart low. The rear was ok, but It should be for a couple reasons. First, the dealer serviced it at 10,000. (28,000 now) Also, had a pinion seal leak ,that was spraying fluid under the truck and on the trailer, that was replaced a couple weeks ago. One thing that bothered me though was the dealer tech had the fill plug on the rear ridiculously tight. Kind of boogered up the washer a little. I think it will be alright, but I'll probably replace it anyway. What is the torque on the fill plugs?

#26 ·
What is the torque on the fill plugs?
Just snug so it won't fall off. Shouldn't need a torque wrench, just a plug.

#27 ·
I apologize in advanced for my possible stupid question but reading the manual it calls for 75w-85 GL-5 for 9.5”-11” front axle & 75w-140 for limited slip 12” rear ends with 3.73 gears. I am pretty sure I need to use 75w-140 for the rear but can it be used in the front or is that a no-no? Sorry not to familiar with the gear oils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
You don't have your year or model truck listed in your signature. If it's a 2500 or 3500 single rear wheel it should use 75W-85/75W90 synthetic front and rear. I'm not sure what the duallies call for. Double check your manual for your specific truck.

Reactions: St.Pete Ron
#30 ·
I read the manual which says use 75w-140 for dual rear wheel 12" axles and 75w-85 for single rear wheel. It does say to use a limited slip additive but I used Amsoil Severe gear and haven't had an issue in several Ram pickups including 2006, 2008 and 2014 2500's with limited slip axles. If topping off you shouldn't need any additional additives.
This is what Amsoil says
AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. For applications that require additional limited-slip friction modifier, add AMSOIL Slip Lock®.

#32 ·
No problem, glad yours wasn't too low

#34 ·
Greeeeat. I never checked mine from the factory and I'm at the service interval for it now... Thankfully, I planned on doing the service tomorrow anyway but now I'm gonna lose some sleep over this, lol! Thanks for the heads up, at least I'll know to check on the next new truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.