Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts
As I recall, they wrapped the CV joint in a rubber booty, effectively making it unserviceable.
If what's in there is any better I don't know.

A double Cardan is a CV joint, too. One of several types.
Yeah, i just always think of the ball type when i hear CV joint

I checked my diff levels yesterday. The front was 1/2 quart low. The rear was ok, but It should be for a couple reasons. First, the dealer serviced it at 10,000. (28,000 now) Also, had a pinion seal leak ,that was spraying fluid under the truck and on the trailer, that was replaced a couple weeks ago. One thing that bothered me though was the dealer tech had the fill plug on the rear ridiculously tight. Kind of boogered up the washer a little. I think it will be alright, but I'll probably replace it anyway. What is the torque on the fill plugs?

Discussion starter · #26 ·
What is the torque on the fill plugs?
Just snug so it won't fall off. Shouldn't need a torque wrench, just a plug.

I apologize in advanced for my possible stupid question but reading the manual it calls for 75w-85 GL-5 for 9.5”-11” front axle & 75w-140 for limited slip 12” rear ends with 3.73 gears. I am pretty sure I need to use 75w-140 for the rear but can it be used in the front or is that a no-no? Sorry not to familiar with the gear oils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #28 ·
You don't have your year or model truck listed in your signature. If it's a 2500 or 3500 single rear wheel it should use 75W-85/75W90 synthetic front and rear. I'm not sure what the duallies call for. Double check your manual for your specific truck.

Reactions: St.Pete Ron
Discussion starter · #30 ·
I read the manual which says use 75w-140 for dual rear wheel 12" axles and 75w-85 for single rear wheel. It does say to use a limited slip additive but I used Amsoil Severe gear and haven't had an issue in several Ram pickups including 2006, 2008 and 2014 2500's with limited slip axles. If topping off you shouldn't need any additional additives.
This is what Amsoil says
AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. For applications that require additional limited-slip friction modifier, add AMSOIL Slip Lock®.

Thanks for the clarification. I was reading it wrong. I used 75w-90 valvoline which already has additives in it so either way I think I am covered. Luckily the rear didnt need any and the front only needed a little bit. Thank you

Discussion starter · #32 ·
No problem, glad yours wasn't too low

I looked up the fill specs in the 19+ manual and here's what is recommended "For all 2500/3500 Model axles, the fluid level should be 1/4 in ± 1/4 in (6.4 mm ± 6.4 mm) below the fill hole on the 9.25 in front, 11.5 in rear axle, and 12.0 in rear axle."

Greeeeat. I never checked mine from the factory and I'm at the service interval for it now... Thankfully, I planned on doing the service tomorrow anyway but now I'm gonna lose some sleep over this, lol! Thanks for the heads up, at least I'll know to check on the next new truck.

It wouldn't hurt if you checked all fluids, and several fasteners, when you get a new (or new to you) vehicle.
Apologies it took so long to get back to this. Been browsing but too lazy to interact! lol. Anyway, complete fluid checks/changes have been standard for new to me vehicles but I guess it just never occurred to me that the fluids would be jacked up from the factory. As it turns out, mine was fine. Ended up going through the entire truck, found nothing amiss (wow am I lucky!) and am just waiting to hit 100k so those unnecessary parts will fall off, reducing the weight of my truck.

This thread prompted me to change my fluid early. Thought I'd post my thoughts for anyone else considering....

Truck is a 2019 3500 SRW with the 11.5'' diff.
Truck has 10,000 miles with about 3,000 miles towing a light load (7,000 pounds).

Factory fluid was exactly where it should be about 1/4'' from the fill hole.

There was some metal on the magnet, though probably not enough to require the fluid to be changed.

Factory fluid looked okay, but not great.

I filled with 4 quarts of Royal Purple 75-90 with friction modifier. Overall, it cost me about $100 and two hours of time. While I think it would have been fine to just let it go, I guess I'm glad I replaced it... good peace of mind.

***On edit, I forgot to mention that the bolts for the cover came from the factory with loctite on them. Don't remember that on my previous trucks. Removing some of them, because of the angles and my little noodle arms, was a bit of a pita. I put them back in dry, hope I don't have issues down the road.

Youi know what will happen years from now on a fluid change. Owners and oil change places will fill diff till it starts coming out the fill hole, then seal it up. And everything will be fine.

My 2021 rear was 1 quart low. I bought the Mopar gear lube from Amazon. I am going to check the front this week. Been busy and the truck is just sitting.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.