Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone wants more power, so my we were debating, because I dont know that much about the properties of octane vs. cetane, if you could spray a gas such as E85 w/ water to supress detonation, at a very high psi into the intake? Would that increase power? what would happen? I'm just wonding and want to hear everyone feedback. I am constantly racking my brain to try to figure out what will get me more power!!

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Isn't this how water/methanol injection works? Are you trying to find a different type of fuel besides Meth or are you trying to add gasoline to the mix. Gas has a different flash point that even with water added you may have severe pre-ignition and unstable cylinder presures. Try it with yours and let me know how it works first!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Im not to savy on the internal workings of engines, but Ive never felt to good about putting water into my $hit!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
That is exactly how water/ methanol works.

The key ingredients for a fumigated fuel are high autoignition temperature, high molecular potential energy, and "adequate" burn rate.

Autoignition needs to be high to resist preignition. The engine can be tuned to resist autoignition by retarding timing and lowering compression, which can be seen on alcohol and natural gas powered Cummins. Water also helps resist preignition, but it can raise compression ratio if not fully vaporized.

In terms of low autoignition temps to high autoignition temps:
Veggie Oil, Biodiesel, High-Cetane Diesel, Low-Cetane Diesel, Low-Octane Gasoline, High-Octane Gasoline, E85, Propane, Methanol, Hydrogen, Natural Gas

To get your molecular potential energy, I guess you'd need to add up your bond strengths?

I don't think burn rate really trends... I mention it because I've read a few articles about hydrogen's really slow burn rate making it a pain in the neck to use it in engines.

Fumigating fuel is a better solution to making power than direct injecting fuel. A fumigated fuel disperses itself homogeneously with the air in the cylinder, which makes it easier to burn all the fuel. And, at high RPM, the cylinder acts as its own pump; no incredibly precise and expensive injection system is required.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
194 Posts
Water injection has been around about as long as there has been engines I bet. I know it has been used since WWII on aircraft, before that I don't know but probably. In the case of water injection it is actually is good for your engine, carbon clings to the water molecules and essentially scrubs the intake/exhaust tracts, and the cylinders clean. Like rock kustoms says it is instantly vaporized and acts as a intercooler. There really isn't a down side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts