Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 08 6.7 mega that is finally running great.after 30 or so trips to the dealer and finally a new turbo the truck is running fine.my question is does anybody make a complete exhaust for me that will not throw codes and does not require a tuner box.just want it to sound better and run like i know it can.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I will admit I am a bit biased towards H&S Performance XRT. It will allow code free DPF and EGR removal, plus power tuning. Currently we offer the 60 and 120 horse, with the 175 to be released within the week.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,489 Posts
i have a 08 6.7 mega that is finally running great.after 30 or so trips to the dealer and finally a new turbo the truck is running fine.my question is does anybody make a complete exhaust for me that will not throw codes and does not require a tuner box.just want it to sound better and run like i know it can.
At this time NO. It take either a tuner like the XRT or Smarty to be "code free" or use and Edge or PMT to clear codes on start-up. I believe the DPF-R will also clear codes on start-up.

G

·
There are code clearing systems without having to have a tuner. I ran dpf-r for awhile without a tuner, and it did a nice job of keeping the light off the dash.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yeah..but stacking edge and smarty..with MP 8....

:drool2:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not a stupid question. This is what these forums are for.

First, lets talk about what people mean between "thowing codes" and the simple Check Engine Light (CEL). Thowing codes generally refers to nasty chimes and actual codes coming up on on the overhead display, finally resulting in a dysfunctional truck. The CEL is just an irritating light, but doesn't result in a broke truck.

From what I can tell, there is no hardware only/ passive device method to code free (including check engine light (CEL). That is you can't just bolt on some straight-thru exhaust piping and not have codes (and worse). With straight-thru piping and some passive resistor "foolers" across some of the sensor connectors that are no longer in place, you can get where you are not throwing debilitating codes (going into limp mode) and you will ONLY have the CEL. But you can't get the CEL off with "passive" devices.

To completely be code free and CEL free, you need active electronics. Either reprogramming the ECM (like the XRT and I think the Smarty) or some type of active electronics that "simulate" the sensors and make the ECM think that the sensors are still there and active. The passive resistor foolers just tell the computer a steady-state reading-- say one set exhaust temperature, and that doesn't completely fool the computer, since the temps vary. Hence the CEL.

That is my read after lots of research. I'm no expert though, so maybe others in more know can weigh in on my assumptions.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
It has been my understanding that a lot off the guys on here have run a straight exhaust and put the 330 OHM resistors in the egt sensors and the 110 & 390 OHM's in the pressure fooler and been both "code Free" and CEL free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts