Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I promise. I just got a new VP44 and AirDog installed. When you start the cummins, are you supposed to give it a little gas or no? My F250 6.0, I never touched the gas, just turned the key. Today, after I got back from the shop, she was just cranking for about 5/8 seconds, then I gave her a little gas and she fired up. Do I have a problem or is this normal???? I promise this is my last dumb question as I'm learning fast.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I promise this is my last dumb question as I'm learning fast
Famous last words :lol4::lol4:

I never give mine gas...... i give it diesel j/k :lol4:

No but i never give it any pedal to start.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the Air Dog supposed to run when the key is in the on position or when the starter is engaged? Mine goes on when the starter is engaged and I called Pure Flow and they said every truck is different but that is ok. What do you guys think about that?

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
If you wired it right it starts as soon as the key passes the run position. If you bump the key it should run for about 25 seconds as well.

You didn't put a fuel pressure gauge on did you...

Put your truck details in your signature.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
You’re flying a little blind without the gauge. You don't need any throttle on these trucks. Without knowing the fuel pressure I would not run the truck. I guess you could bump the starter once to get the LP to run, then try to start it and see if the delayed start goes away. If it does then it has to do with lack of fuel pressure during start up.

You could check for codes too. Key on/off three times.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Depending on what the shop did, they may have left a little air in the lines...if you fired it up at the shop, it may have taken a few minutes to clear the air out. I know when I replaced my LP with the AD 150, I had to gas it a few times to clear the air out of the lines the first few times I started it after I got the AD on. As long as it didn't do that to you once you got back you should be good....

·
On call 24/7
12,574 Posts
....or you could have to much pressure. You really need a gauge to tell but it certainly sounds like a pressure issue.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the line off the airdog at the VP44 and it flows like a garden hose. I guess I'll give it a day or two and see how it reacts. I know the air dog is hooked up right and its giving good flow to the IP, I'm just wondering why it doesn't pressurize when the key is in the on position.

·
Registered
657 Posts
With a stock setup, when you turn the key to the on position the ECM sends power to the lift pump for 2 seconds only. This is to self-prime the pump. If your aftermarket lift pump uses the original lift pump positive wire as a trigger to engage your lift pump relay, it would also run for 2 seconds.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Lonno said:
...I promise this is my last dumb question...When you start the cummins, are you supposed to give it a little gas or no?
I usually pull the choke out a lil before I pull the cord.

Hey, a dumb answer for a dumb question! :hehe:

As a teacher used to say, there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.
With my truck I just turn the key on for a second or two (or until wait to start light goes out), then bump the starter, and the powerhouse springs to life.

- djb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts