Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok to start it off this is my first write-up thread so bear with me.lol There isn't many threads on this subject either. And so as promised here it is! My new trans lines and trans cooler custom install. So the stock trans lines on my 95 Reg cab longbed where leaking bad and where patched from the previous owner and just not any good anymore, and I wanted to improve them and the cooler at the same time. So I went to jegs and bought a derale cooler with a fan on it. And since it wont fit in front of the intercooler like the stock unit, I had to find a new place for it and one where it wouldn't get hurt or in the way. So under the bed, cant go above the driveshaft, cause im putting a stack on the truck eventually. So once I got all the old stuff gutted out of it,(stock cooler and lines), then it was time to start plumbing the new setup. My original plan was to use actual hydraulic hose, but since I seen what I had to do and that the derale already came with pushlock hose, I figured id just go with that and hose clamp all connections. Started off going to napa, they had some of what I needed, but not everything, and the price on stuff was ridiculous, I would have had more than $200 just in fittings alone and would have had a ton of them and none where swivel fittings which are almost a must in this case, and they didn't have any hose, went to a lot of other auto stores in the area, and nobody had anything. Now by this time I was starting to get worried, I figured next stop was hydraulic shops. So I stopped by a new hydraulic shop in the area, they helped me out with all the fittings I needed other than the pipe and connector for the feed/pressure line to the 90 deg swivel fitting. Everything is converted to 1/2" pushlock hose. In this setup I used probably 20-22ft of hose all together. The big t-fitting setup is probably optional, but I wanted a way to use my stock trans temp sensor, even if it wont get full reading in the 90 that its in, but its in there. without the 90, there isn't much clearance on anything so we just got a 90 deg fitting to fit it and stuck it in. And I had to move it away from the feed line fitting on the trans, hence the piece of hose, for shifter linkage clearance reasons. And derale wanted me to put the sender on the cooler, but I opted to put it closer to the trans to kick the fan on early to start cooling fluid faster and get rid of heat in the fluid, you can see it on the end of the t-fitting assembly. I put the cooler on the drivers side front of the bed, it seemed to me the best place for (ME) to put it, other peoples trucks and plans might be different, Im just building a super reliable work truck/spare truck here. And since I don't trust the rusted up metal in the bed, I got a piece of 1/8" steel cut 9ft long and 2inches wide at my local steel shop, got a size bigger and 2" long grade 8 bolts and washers to fasten the cooler to the bed with. So first I had to drill out the holes on the cooler to meet the new bolt size, and holes in the bed, then I cut two pieces of steel as long as the longest sides of the cooler and two more about 24" long, which is roughly 4" longer. The 24" long ones are in the bed, the shorter ones are underneath the cooler, with the holes drilled in all the steel to match up to the bolt pattern of the cooler and bolted it up. It is kinda hard to hold the steel in place that's under the cooler and try to get the cooler to mate up to the bolts. but worth it in my opinion, for what I want to do anyway. I've shown pictures to my buddys they said its overkill, but i don't want to have to work on it again and i want it to last. Then after everything was hooked up and wired, i tied everything up, yes i know i used zip ties on it but i didn't have any tie wire at the time and I've never really had a problem with zip ties, i doubled them up if i thaught they had any kind weight on them. And i used bigger ones. I know im probably missing a lot but that's all the time i have for tonight. And i only have about $220 in this whole setup cooler and all. Im currently building my own fuel system for it including a dual feed system for the p-pump. Ill do a write up of it too when its done. Pictures are somewhat in order..... http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Crtsnake/translines1_zpscb4d3fde.jpg http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Crtsnake/translines2_zpsca67d887.jpg http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Crtsnake/translines3_zps42b2e02f.jpg http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Crtsnake/translines4_zpse6d59db6.jpg http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Crtsnake/translines5_zps6a6a53a4.jpg

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
VP of the dry side
4,217 Posts
Nice writeup!! :thumbsup: I'll definitely use this when i do my auto swap. Does that cooler seem to work well?

On Cummins forum instead of working or doing homework

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
93 Posts
very nice I'd also like to know about the cooler

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice writeup!! :thumbsup: I'll definitely use this when i do my auto swap. Does that cooler seem to work well?

On Cummins forum instead of working or doing homework
When i tested it on the battery to make sure it ran, the fan moves ALOT of air i thaught, so far i haven't heard the fan run when installed on the truck, but i felt the lines they where warm and not hot, ran it around pretty good for an hour or so, i don't have plates on it yet, but i ran it pretty hard around the house and didn't seem to get hot. you could wire it on a switch i guess, but for now we'll see how the temp sender from derale works, if it even will, if not, no biggie ill make my own sender. And the best part...NO LEAKS!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also I ran the blue wire to the derale temp sendor then to a switched power source fuse in the fuse panel with a add-a-circuit. (Accessory that plugs into one fuse and holds two fuses, found at napa/advance/etc.) I grounded the black ground to the excess threads sticking out on one of the bolts holding the cooler, and added a second nut to secure it. I might in the future get more of the hose protectant wrap as seen in the one pic, for more of the trans lines and maybe for the fuel line as well. Like what they use in heavy equipment to protect the lines from rubbing together or rubbing on something and leaking or blowing. I Still might make a shield for the cooler being that it might be in the way of debris off the tires, but I was afraid it would block air flow and cooling. Im still unsure how to go about this yet, thaught of making one out of sturdy woven wire, chain-link fence like, but that wouldn't stop a stick from hitting it. Still unsure on that yet...trying to keep it as simple as I can, but yet as bullet proof as well.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to fab it all up in my head before I actually started doing it, lol. Im proud of it, I just hope it is reliable as I think its gonna be. The only way to upgrade it I would say is to use actual pressed on fittings hydraulic hose, but its hard getting the exact length you need.:stirpot: And im still thinking of how to make a little shield for it. Not quite decided on that yet still...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anybody wants to post the pics out in the thread feel free to do so! lol:thumbsup:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess derale says the thermostat for the fan comes on at 180deg, I think that's a little hot, would there be a way to get a lower temp t-stat and put it in?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess derale says the thermostat for the fan comes on at 180deg, I think that's a little hot, would there be a way to get a lower temp t-stat and put it in?
Anyone?:confused013:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, there are lower ones, check on summitracing.
Checked it out, summit and also found them on jegs site, ill prolly do this in the future as well.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If anyone wants to share their system in this thread also, feel free to do so and post pics in here, no matter what it is, ideas are good!!:thumbsup: Im actually surprised others aren't more interested in this.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on the cooler, been running the truck more latey and the trans cooler fan ran for the first time for a little while, and the fan on it really moves some air, im impressed with it, I need to get a temp gauge on it to see how much it drops it down when it kicks on, but you can still grab the lines so it isn't running hot, that's another plus! Also you cant hear the fan over the straight pipe so im fine with that lol.:hehe::thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ya the system looks great so far. I'm in the process of redoing mine as we'll I had to get rid of my water cooled trans cooler do to rust. So I'm adding another air cooler and replacing all lines to -8 pushlock as well. I did this with my fuel system already and it worked great. Only side note would be to not use any hose clamps on a pushlock fitting. The design of the barbed edges are much sharper than a standard barbed fitting and could eventually bite through the hose and create leaks. The pushlock hose and fittings can hold a lot of pressure on their own. Just wanted to throw that out so you don't run into problems down the line. But it does look good and gave me some ideas to finish up mine as well.

Reactions: 99cummins5spd

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya the system looks great so far. I'm in the process of redoing mine as we'll I had to get rid of my water cooled trans cooler do to rust. So I'm adding another air cooler and replacing all lines to -8 pushlock as well. I did this with my fuel system already and it worked great. Only side note would be to not use any hose clamps on a pushlock fitting. The design of the barbed edges are much sharper than a standard barbed fitting and could eventually bite through the hose and create leaks. The pushlock hose and fittings can hold a lot of pressure on their own. Just wanted to throw that out so you don't run into problems down the line. But it does look good and gave me some ideas to finish up mine as well.
My hose clamps on it aren't super tight just enough for cheap insurance lol.:thumbsup: I was just worried about pressure blowing a line off with the added heat from the fluid. I don't worry about fuel systems cause they don't get as hot as these lines do. First time I did this on a trans too, so I tried to make it about as bulletproof as I could.:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts