Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

My Heart is Torn...

902 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  gotacummins
:lol4:

So I am at a point where I'm going to get rid of my Duramax. Mainly to get an SUV for the family. I'm considering downgrading to an older Duramax or an 01-02 Cummins. The main reason I'd like to stick with a DMax is to just swap all of my current parts over. However, I am currently considering an 01 Cummins for sale locally. Here are the specs:

2001 5.9, auto, 2WD, Xtd Cab, Long Bed, 156K miles, power windows/ locks, aftermarket radio, gooseneck hitch. The thing looks pretty much stock. Still has the muffler & factory intake.

The truck has rear discs so less likely to be a 53 block, the motor purrs beautifully, no leaks, and the interior is in great condition. Did a carfax on it & nothing major came up.

From driving it around I've noticed a few dents and rust spots, a 20% tire on the rear, the overhead console is missing the lock so it stays open, and the tranny seems to allow the engine to rev up when it's cold. Also, I did a nice quick burnout, so I'm assuming no TQ management...? The front end gets a little squirlly around 70.

So before I take a chance on a Dodge, what else should I look for before taking the dive? Any common rust areas? Any leaks I should be looking for? Anything in particular? What price should I shoot for? I got them down to 8300 today, but I don't even know if that's a good deal...

Thanks in advance for any input :party018:

Or do I just go for a 12V? I'll need the truck to be my DD & still pull my other rig around when I need to...until I can find another decent Blazer to turn into a DD...

EDIT: This is not it, but looks identical to this one minus the headache rack...
http://www.mydealerbiz.com/inventory/view_all_photos.php?photos=nrsu0BK&id=12221#11
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Personally I would look fora 96-98 4x4 12valve. Nothing against the 24valve I just think that the 12 makes a better daily driver and is more reliable the the 24. I dont know if you ever encounter mud or snow but if you do I would not get the 2x4. You will get stuck very quickly. I have a friend with an 02 2x4 and he got stuck in my grass field after a rain. Its just a personal preference but I dont like how 2x4s sit so low in the front either. If you do decide to go with this truck it sounds like a decent deal, but I would try to get them down to around $7,500

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea been looking for a 12 valve as well, but the problem is finding an owner that'll finance it. The one that I'm looking at, they'll consider my wife's beetle as a partial trade and will finance without interest. Got them down to 8300 yesterday...hope to drop it down a bit more tomorrow. Found the SUV for the family today, so we'll see what happens...

Here are some pics of it:

· Registered
690 Posts
Yea been looking for a 12 valve as well, but the problem is finding an owner that'll finance it. The one that I'm looking at, they'll consider my wife's beetle as a partial trade and will finance without interest. Got them down to 8300 yesterday...hope to drop it down a bit more tomorrow. Found the SUV for the family today, so we'll see what happens...

Here are some pics of it:

go for it! looks good from the pics

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.