Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddy has an 07 gmc 1/2 Z with the 5.3 v-8. we always give him a hard time, so tonight he manned up and said he would beat my dodge so bad in the 1/4 that he would have time to get out and take a pee before i crossed the line. could ya'll please explain to him.:popcorn:

·
Registered
80 Posts
You gonna at least toy with him and let him *think* he has a chance?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
He's dreaming. Sounds like he needs to be schooled...

I traded in a 2006 GMC crew with the 5.3. That thing looked good on paper as far as hp and torque, but it was a dog.... I was a loyal GM man because my first real truck was a 1990 GMC 1500 with a 350. That thing would break the tires loose at 25 mph. The new gassers just can't compare to the old 350's.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
o yeah..i'll mess with him the first time..but after that his air filter will be clogged with some black soot.

·
Banned
885 Posts
No no no....with these fuel prices....are you crazy?

You race him for friendly $20 bets....and let him be knockin at the back door....in time you won't even realize we went to $7 a gallon

·
Registered
674 Posts
assuming his truck is an auto i think it will be close. what gears do you have 3.73 or 4.10's

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3.73...i would think it would be like the turtle and the rabbit. i drove his truck was not impressed at all. reminds me why i drive a cummins!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
hey man, it's only money and you cant take it with ya when you're gone.
:$:spend as much as possible on your truck now, you dont want to be the richest man in the grave yard:peelout

after you fill his intake with soot see if he wants to have a little tug-o-war:rof

·
Registered
268 Posts
You have to love the gassers thinking they can beat the "slow" diesel truck.

My buddy has an 03' QC 1500 Hemi and he wanted to race my stock slow sled. lets just say he was upset cause he was flat out and I was walking away at 3/4 throttle. Even stock the 6.7 is sneaky fast for those who don't know any better.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
The gas trucks never learn he prob get you righ off start until, you start pulling hard. What gears you gonna use 2,3,5

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heck i dunno really...i dont really know how i will launch...anyone have any advice on how to do boosted launch with a 6spd? he put an edge chip on his truck and it recorded his 1/4 mile @ 15.5...that pretty swift

·
Registered
761 Posts
you should put a hurtin on him without even trying

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think your buddy might be just playing around. You said that you always give him a hard time, so maybe he was being sarcastic. All your buddy has to do is remind you that he can fill his truck up, buy a case of beer, pack of smokes/can of chew with what it'd cost you to fill up your truck. That being said, I'm trading in my Avalanche on an 08. Just waitin for it to come in!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
my gf has an 06 gmc 1500 and it moves pretty good. Think ull sqeek ahead but it will be close since ur gona have to be shifting too...

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
heck i dunno really...i dont really know how i will launch...anyone have any advice on how to do boosted launch with a 6spd? he put an edge chip on his truck and it recorded his 1/4 mile @ 15.5...that pretty swift
you got enought power to dump the clutch in 2nd or 3rd mabye an then by that time you should already be ahead....my buddy race me when my truck was stock an he dumped the clutch in 4x4 an in 2nd an he was ahead of me the entire time an mine was an auto an i was boostin too..... VERY good looking truck by the way

·
Registered
822 Posts
Got some news for you. Just raced an 05 extended cab 4wd 5.3L with exhaust and intake the only mods. I let him take off before me and I took him easily with 35" M/Ts and these mods.

5" straight
AFE II intake
FASS
Quad Race Module
25hp sticks

This 5.3 truck is a good running truck and is known around town to be fairly quick, so it was not beaten up at all. It was no contest. Should be the same outcome for you too. Kill it.

FYI, the same night I also raced a 2003 auto reg cab 4wd 6.0L and it was not even worth mentioning the length I beat him by.

Both races were all people in 4wd High.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I know this isn't a gasser story...but I had a guy with a new duramax want to race.....so I thought ehhh what the heck......I let him take off first....he spun the tires and flew sideways when he took off leaving black marks....I took off....still beat him lol...bad...he said....my truck isn't bad for stock...lol....they don't spin the tires like that stock....I had one...fast stock...I too was a loyal gm owner...I remember when they came out with the vortec in 96...that truck flew

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
i wouldn't even worry about launching will full force, just take off normally and then pin it thru all the gears. since you don't have a dd from what it looks like in your sig, slipping the clutch will be a big no no.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts