Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is not to become a Smarty vs. XRT war like most other threads here.:buttkick: I will be purchasing one of these tuners after the dust settles in the upcoming weeks.

Suprisingly, I love how quiet my 6.7 is stock and I would like to keep my truck as quiet as possible with my DPF deleted.

So, my question is: Can I remove the DPF and install a large muffler in its place? I know I will have to have sims of some sort. Does anyone offer something like this? A bung equpiied muffler replacement? :confused013:

AND, Can the downpipe stay intact or does it need to be removed as well?

Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated. :S::S:

·
Registered
83 Posts
First off this is not to become a Smarty vs. XRT war like most other threads here.:buttkick: I will be purchasing one of these tuners after the dust settles in the upcoming weeks.

Suprisingly, I love how quiet my 6.7 is stock and I would like to keep my truck as quiet as possible with my DPF deleted.

So, my question is: Can I remove the DPF and install a large muffler in its place? I know I will have to have sims of some sort. Does anyone offer something like this? A bung equpiied muffler replacement? :confused013:

AND, Can the downpipe stay intact or does it need to be removed as well?

Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated. :S::S:

Downpipe stays in place. I did my delete and put it back into the stock muffler and little to no difference in sound vs stock. I have since then dumped the exhaust under the truck in front of the rear axel. Still not real loud, but i wanted to hear something. Sounds great now. ( no muffler):thumbsup:

·
Registered
398 Posts
O.K. Mr. Nike I am giving you a time out. We will not have any of this keeping our trucks "quiet " any more. These are fire breathing ,tire smoking ,bowel shaking,monster trucks.Now answer this question: Have you ever seen a quiet Monster Truck???? I did not think so.So unless you want to have a note sent home with you I suggest that during playtime today you bring me the entire exhaust system from your monster truck and put a straight pipe on it pronto_Oh you should have told me you don't have a monster truck and that it is a daily driver. My Error.(Bad)Just kidding with you!

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.K. Mr. Nike I am giving you a time out. We will not have any of this keeping our trucks "quiet " any more. These are fire breathing ,tire smoking ,bowel shaking,monster trucks.Now answer this question: Have you ever seen a quiet Monster Truck???? I did not think so.So unless you want to have a note sent home with you I suggest that during playtime today you bring me the entire exhaust system from your monster truck and put a straight pipe on it pronto_Oh you should have told me you don't have a monster truck and that it is a daily driver. My Error.(Bad)Just kidding with you!
Your a :redneck:

LOL I'm just kidding, my 01 is a fire breather. I'm not looking for another one just yet.

So lets get :backtotopic:, I PLAN on removing the DPF and installing a muffler in its place. Has anyone else done this?

I can just install the sims into the harness and zip tie them out of the way elsewhere, right?

Also, the reason I ask about the downpipe is because in the Smarty instructions it says the downpipe has to be removed as well.

So, What do you'll think?? :headbang:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I actually went with a 5" Magnaflo TBE so the stock muffler was removed. I installed the muffler with the kit and added a Areoturbine 5050XL (resonated). it was quiet till I did the EGR deletes. So I installed the stock downpipe (was leaking and exhaust was getting back into the cabin). Now it is perfect....for me and my wife. sims added and O2 all in place.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
I was running a H&S 4" Turbo to muffler pipe. Dam loud. Now I'm running the stock downpipe and just a "stealth" Nox & DPF. It is a little louder than all stock. But, way better than the straight pipe was.

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
I was running a H&S 4" Turbo to muffler pipe. Dam loud. Now I'm running the stock downpipe and just a "stealth" Nox & DPF. It is a little louder than all stock. But, way better than the straight pipe was.
Isn't that a Nox filter in the stock down pipe?? Im trying to decide which way to go on my exhaust aswell, i really don't want it loud but i also don't want the restriction and something in my exhaust to stop up either ANY IDEAS...THANKS:banghead: :confused013:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think flo-master might make a good 4" series 40 or if you want it quiet check walker mufflers.I used to be able to sneak up on my workers but now ......

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 4" TBE using the stock muffler. As noted in above posts at idle and driving easy it's very close to stock sound levels. If I get into it the noise level is a little louder than stock but not bad (just a slight drone but still quiet in the cab). I also wanted my truck to stay quiet and was worried about losing that. All my worry was for nothing, it's still very quiet, just a different tone. I ordered an aero turbine 4040xl monday to replace the stock resonator. I'll let ya know how it sounds when it

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
Isn't that a Nox filter in the stock down pipe?? Im trying to decide which way to go on my exhaust aswell, i really don't want it loud but i also don't want the restriction and something in my exhaust to stop up either ANY IDEAS...THANKS:banghead: :confused013:
The downpipe has the CAT in it. Then I believe the Nox is next, just after the flange. Then the DPF. I might have the last 2 reversed. A typical DPF delete removes them both. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
As Tony 08 stated if you just pull the dpf and leave downpipe and muffler the truck will stay quiet very little change
:ditto::ditto: Left my downpipe and muffler and there's no more noise in the cab but there is a little more growl at the tailpipe.:thumbsup:

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
:ditto::ditto: Left my downpipe and muffler and there's no more noise in the cab but there is a little more growl at the tailpipe.:thumbsup:
Do you think their is any fear of the cat stopping up due to the addition of a programmer, i notice that it's not as big as the ones on the 5.9s..ALSO..THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO OF THE ABOVE POST GUYS:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually went with a 5" Magnaflo TBE so the stock muffler was removed. I installed the muffler with the kit and added a Areoturbine 5050XL (resonated). it was quiet till I did the EGR deletes. So I installed the stock downpipe (was leaking and exhaust was getting back into the cabin). Now it is perfect....for me and my wife. sims added and O2 all in place.
So you have the stock downpipe, Aero 505XL and thats all? Sounds like a good combo. Thanks

So you have the stock downpipe as well? Are you running the stock mullfer again?

It sounds like keeping the stock downpipe is the way to go if you want to keep it quiet. I wonder why the Smarty instructions say you must remove the stock downpipe then? Any ideas?

I wonder if you went with an aftermarket 4in downpipe and installed a cat off of a 5.9 or equivelent aftermarket cat convertor, if that would help with the noise and egts vs a stock downpipe.

Thanks for the help guys!!:headbang: I appreiciate all the views, just keep in mind I want to keep the truck as close to stock sounding as possible. :whip: :lol4:

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you think their is any fear of the cat stopping up due to the addition of a programmer, i notice that it's not as big as the ones on the 5.9s..ALSO..THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO OF THE ABOVE POST GUYS:thumbsup:

:ditto: Good question.

It looks like we are in the same boat Roo.

Let me know if you make a move before I do. I would like to know what you come up with. :S:

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
:ditto: Good question.

It looks like we are in the same boat Roo.

Let me know if you make a move before I do. I would like to know what you come up with. :S:
WILL DO..MAYBE SOMEONE KNOWS!!!:confused013:

·
Registered
402 Posts
The cat is in the down pipe. I would guess that Smarty wants it out because it will clog it up?

I dont like noise or smoke. I got my 5" ss turbo back system from Wally at FTE diesel on here, awesome stuff and the muffler it comes with works fine for my needs. I dont think its loud. It is louder than stock, but what isnt stock was very very quiet.

I was really worried about it being too loud since all I do is tow with my truck to and from the races it didnt make much sense to race with earplugs in then go deaf in my truck.

The turbo whistle is the most annoying thing Ive EVER heard in any truck Ive ever owned. I would say my trucks exhaust is a little quiter than my 454 chevy was when towing and a lot quieter than my 460 was when towing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My suggestion,

If you want to do the do it yourself dpf delete, which I reccomend, do this. Any 5.9L Turbo Back kit will work on this truck, so long it is the 04-07 5.9L. I had a local muffler shop weld the Bungs for the Pyros and O2's for cheap. WHole 4" TBE would be like $400-$500. If you get the XRT, which I am thinking about getting, it will shut all this emissions off. This truck will amaze you with how quiet it really is even just straight piped. Sadly, when I did a 4" Magna flow it was even quieter then stock, so I went 5" TBE. I HIGHLY reccomend removing the down pipe and replacing it...because....There is a cat stuck up in there. This truck has 2 cats and the DPF. SHe luikes to breathe and your EGT's will decrease and MPG's Increase.

My 2 Cents:thumbsup:

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
My suggestion,

If you want to do the do it yourself dpf delete, which I reccomend, do this. Any 5.9L Turbo Back kit will work on this truck, so long it is the 04-07 5.9L. I had a local muffler shop weld the Bungs for the Pyros and O2's for cheap. WHole 4" TBE would be like $400-$500. If you get the XRT, which I am thinking about getting, it will shut all this emissions off. This truck will amaze you with how quiet it really is even just straight piped. Sadly, when I did a 4" Magna flow it was even quieter then stock, so I went 5" TBE. I HIGHLY reccomend removing the down pipe and replacing it...because....There is a cat stuck up in there. This truck has 2 cats and the DPF. SHe luikes to breathe and your EGT's will decrease and MPG's Increase.

My 2 Cents:thumbsup:
You say your using a magnaflow muffler on the 5" TBE aswell?? I also think the stock down pipe would be better GONE!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You say your using a magnaflow muffler on the 5" TBE aswell?? I also think the stock down pipe would be better GONE!!!!
I agree. It being gone is best for the truck. I just want to keep the sound or lack there of that it seems to sustain.:whip:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts