Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine took his truck,08 2500 quad cab,to my dealer on my recomendation to do some warranty problems and a oil change. He got a call that day telling him that the truck needed front brakes and rotors?????? the truck has 25K miles on it , he does not tow, just drives to work on interstate each day. HE FREAKED OUT!!! He spoke with the owner and said he wanted ALL the old parts. They all the sudden said that the rotors would be covered under warranty. When he picked up the truck the next day the orignal warranty prob. was not fixed and the idle was not turned on!!!!! They told him that they cant turn it on in his truck??? I have the same truck and mine is on??? came that way...sooooo what im getting at is does any one have a good dealer for service in north jersey?????? They have had mine 3 times and they still cant get the EB to enable???
Thanks for your help.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Find another dealer.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
From what i understand the only reason to not turn on the high idle feature is a manual transmission.

brakes at 25k? thats a bit ridiculous. 40k on the ticker on mine, i bought it at 27k so idk what the previous owner did to the truck, but i still have at least 65% left on the pads, but i have a caliper hanging up.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If the vehicle was not built with the pto option in the build sheet, it must be added onto the buildsheet on the dealer site with chrysler, the updated into the starscan which can then enable it (add sales code LBN). instructions on usage can be downloaded by yall on Official Dodge Site - Body Builder's Guide

Charlie
ps Automatics & Standards can be have it, FYI it's an AWESOME website.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I just looked on the build sheet for my '07 automatic. There is no mention of a PTO option. I know that it is intended for use with a PTO but it CAN be turned on, in the computer, by the dealer. All the trucks that go out of the place where I bought mine have this feature turned on as part of the PDI. I have even sent two of my friends there to get theirs activated. Both of those trucks were '08s, one a 2500 and one a 3500, both automatics. If your dealership does not want to do this, it is time for a new dealer.

·
Second Most Important Member
1,760 Posts
look up the info that regen posted. tell your service writer to tell the tech that it CAN be done. a little effort is all that is needed.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
its also known as cold weather idle up.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not to discourage you, but I took the aforementioned instructions to my dealer and they still said it was impossible. Needless to say I was disgusted. Never going back there. Good luck with your dealer!!!
Thanks for all of your suggestions!!!!!:headbang: I will print this out and give it to my friend and have him try again!!!
As for finding another dealer :confused013: there is none that seem to no S*it about the trucks they sell!! Any one have any Dealers in the North Jersey area?? that are any good, please let me know.
Thanks All....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't know firsthand of any good dealers in the area, but if you're near Warwick/ Vernon area I have heard Warwick Dodge handles quite a few trucks and is supposed to be decent. Idle up can be enabled on any of these trucks. I used the bully dog for mine, just had to ground the green wire up under the dash since it's manual.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You have me confused with your post. You speak of PTO idle then state you are looking for high idle.
If you want the high idle feature then tell the dealer you want the High Idle Feature enabled via the star scan tool. Show him the O and M guide that came with the vehicle. This explains how to use and enable this feature. This is not the PTO feature, most 2500 HD do not come with this feature unless special ordered.
Maybe this will help you with the dealer if this does not then contact the regional Dodge service area and have them show the dealer.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for all of your suggestions!!!!!:headbang: I will print this out and give it to my friend and have him try again!!!
As for finding another dealer :confused013: there is none that seem to no S*it about the trucks they sell!! Any one have any Dealers in the North Jersey area?? that are any good, please let me know.
Thanks All....
Try sending a pm to polaraco, IIRC he's a jersey boy and it sounds like he has a good dealer from his posts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an 08 C/C with a manual. I took mine in to have the high Idle enabled at the dealer and they told me that you CAN do it with the manual but it has to have some sort of saftey switch installed on the clutch to avoid taking off with the truck ideled up. Some of the trucks come with this switch already installed, of course mine did not. I was talking to someone on here and they told me that there is a green while under the dash around the e-brake petal that you can ground out and it will allow the high idle to work.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ok
Fact & fiction
pickup's 2500 & 3500 automatics only, can have high idle enabled and it goes up to 1500 rpm. It's in the owner manual, at least the revised one in the docummentation kit that should be given with tsb 18-013-08, it may be in the original.

Not to be confused with the PTO enable as described earlier
on in this thread, is available as I described for 3500 , 4500 & 5500 C&C , manuals or automatic (because they have the aisin with PTO capability). The PTO enable will allow rpm up to 2,000 rpm. They operate nearly the same (With the cruise switch).

If you fit these parameters , there are documented ways to enable the functions (except the manual pickups). show the dealer this thread and you can have it, if he can't figure it out he can call the tech lines to walk him through it, or simply follow the resourses I provided.

Mysteries solved!!!!!!!
Charlie

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try sending a pm to polaraco, IIRC he's a jersey boy and it sounds like he has a good dealer from his posts.
This the dealer polaraco recomended:confused013::confused013:

Ok
Fact & fiction
pickup's 2500 & 3500 automatics only, can have high idle enabled and it goes up to 1500 rpm. It's in the owner manual, at least the revised one in the docummentation kit that should be given with tsb 18-013-08, it may be in the original.

Not to be confused with the PTO enable as described earlier
on in this thread, is available as I described for 3500 , 4500 & 5500 C&C , manuals or automatic (because they have the aisin with PTO capability). The PTO enable will allow rpm up to 2,000 rpm. They operate nearly the same (With the cruise switch).

If you fit these parameters , there are documented ways to enable the functions (except the manual pickups). show the dealer this thread and you can have it, if he can't figure it out he can call the tech lines to walk him through it, or simply follow the resourses I provided.

Mysteries solved!!!!!!!
Charlie
Thanks charlie!!!!! BUT I printed out the posts from last night and faxed them to the dealer today for my friend,,,,,,All this did is pis off the service mgr!!!!
Said that the intrenet is BS, Do you believe that!!!!! His truck is the 2500 p/u 4x4 so 1500 rpm would be good.
I also took my 2007 c&C 2 times to have them enable the EB. It sill does not work. My idle came on from the factory do to the fact it was a c&c.
I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have me confused with your post. You speak of PTO idle then state you are looking for high idle.
If you want the high idle feature then tell the dealer you want the High Idle Feature enabled via the star scan tool. Show him the O and M guide that came with the vehicle. This explains how to use and enable this feature. This is not the PTO feature, most 2500 HD do not come with this feature unless special ordered.
Maybe this will help you with the dealer if this does not then contact the regional Dodge service area and have them show the dealer.
Jim what is the o&m guide that came with the trucks??? Do you know how to get the regionals phone ###:confused013:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
This the dealer polaraco recomended:confused013::confused013:

Thanks charlie!!!!! BUT I printed out the posts from last night and faxed them to the dealer today for my friend,,,,,,All this did is pis off the service mgr!!!!
Said that the intrenet is BS, Do you believe that!!!!! His truck is the 2500 p/u 4x4 so 1500 rpm would be good.
I also took my 2007 c&C 2 times to have them enable the EB. It sill does not work. My idle came on from the factory do to the fact it was a c&c.
I will keep you all posted.
Ask the svc manager to get the tech on the star hot line while you are in the room They will walk him/them through the procedure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
PTO / High Idle

I'm not sure what it's called (PTO/High Idle) but mine now works thanks to some directions I received on cumminsforum. I own a 2007 2500 (6.7) Mega Cab Six-Speed manual. I work with someone who has the same truck except he has the Six-Speed auto. His worked after going to the same dealer I do. I asked for mine to be enabled, but it did not work. I read in cumminsforum that you have to locate the green wire (with shrink tube cap) which is located on the backside of the big connector up around the parking brake pedal. Once you find this wire (it's a little cramped up there, I spliced in some extra wire) you need to ground it. Loosen up one of the connector mounting bolts and connect there. Once this is done, apply the Parking Brake, put tranny in neutral, turn cruise control on, hit cruise set and speed will go to 1100 RPM. By tapping on increase/resume or decrease you can vary the idle speed. It'll vary from 1100-1500 RPM. This is not the same as the cold weather idle up which is an automatic feature that brings the idle up to 1000 RPM in cold weather. How someone located this wire is beyond me, but it works!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi Plowman

Sorry you are having so much difficulty. That Service Manager is giving us a bad name.
I am a Service Manager also, and the information is correct. So I’ll try to make it up to you for his deficiencies

(but you may have to find another one to take this info to.) Or come to Mass & I would do it for ya, lol.

Starting with the 2008 Ram Truck owner’s manual, Diesel Supplement , which is provided in the Documentation Kit, Part # 68049170AA. Page # 46:

“NOTE : An optional driver-controlled high idle speed is available on automatic transmission equipped vehicles with speed control. This feature allows the driver to select an elevated idle speed between 1,100 and 1,500 RPM’s. Your Dealer can enable this feature.”

I would give you a screenshot but the document is not on tech-connect yet.

AND FOR THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION GUYS. THIS IS A STAR-ONLINE FILE
It’s from a general search, Not sure if it applies to pickups, but the part is referred to in the PTO enable instructions on Cab & Chassis on the DodgeBodyBuilders instructions.

Search Result
Case Number K67915415
Vehicle Issue The customer would like to have the 'idle-up' feature enabled on a manual transmission equipped truck.;The 'idle-up' feature can be enabled using StarSCAN®, but will not function until a clutch "up-stop" or start-of-travel switch is installed.
System or Component Mopar Accessory / Performance Part,Need Information Concerning Proper Part Usage,Programming / Flash;Speed Control
Recommendation Install clutch up-stop switch P/N 05026273AB. This switch is also called the "Switch - Clutch Interlock / Upstop". Most trucks do not have the 6-way connector included in the dash wiring harness. The two wires are un-terminated. The matching connector for use with the switch is P/N 05102412AA. This connector is not included with the switch kit and must be ordered seperately.
Modification Date 05/14/08 4:19 PM

For a full view of the STAR Online case, copy the case number above and use it to look up the complete case in the STAR Online application.

AND FOR THE CAB & CHASSIS GUYS, THIS IS RIGHT OFF THE Official Dodge Site - Body Builder's Guide site (You can go there too , but I’ll print here for you).
Note: I printed the 2007 instructions , the 2008 instructions do not mention the clutch switch

3500 Chassis Cab Adjustable Idle Speed Instructions
09/10/2006
Idle Up Feature (Adjustable Idle Control)
This is a Diesel only feature and is NOT available on any vehicle equipped with a 5.7L
gas engine.
Idle up (Adjustable Idle Control) is available when PTO is enabled on the vehicle by
purchasing the PTO prep option (sales code LBN) or by having the Dealer enable the
feature. It has been developed to aid in cabin heating / cooling or enhance stationary PTO
capability by elevating the idle speed upon operator command through the steering wheel
mounted cruise switches.
If the vehicle was purchased without PTO prep (sales code LBN) and the Idle Up feature
is desired, your Dodge Dealer can enable this feature provided the vehicle has the
required hardware and software.
Vehicle Required Hardware/Software
If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission:
• Original equipment cruise switches
• PTO enabled (by purchase of prep package or by Dealer)
If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission
• Clutch up-stop switch wired to the PCM
• PTO enabled (by purchase of prep package or Dealer)
This feature cannot be Dealer enabled for manual transmission equipped vehicles
NOT ordered with the PTO prep package. This is due to the required up-stop
switch. At this time there is no Mopar parts kit to add this switch.
Operation:
Pre-engagement vehicle requirements:
1. The vehicle must be in Park (automatic transmission).
2. Vehicle speed must be less than 2 mph (manual transmission).
3. Brake pedal must not be depressed.
4. Clutch pedal is not depressed
5. Parking brake must be set for manual transmission
6. No active speed or engine faults present (MIL lamp on)
To engage, the operator first presses the “Cruise On” cruise control switch. The Cruise
light will come on in the cluster. Then press and release the “Set” switch (just like you

2007 3500 Chassis Cab Adjustable Idle Speed Instructions
would do when operating the cruise control feature). This will activate the feature and set
the engine idle speed to 900 rpm’s.
At this point the operator may choose to “ramp” up or down the idle speed. To ramp up,
press and hold the RES / ACCEL (right hand side) cruise switch. Maximum idle speed
(while feature is active) is 2000 rpm’s. At any point while the idle speed is ramping up
the operator may release the RES / ACCEL switch and the idle speed will stabilize at the
value shown on the tachometer.
To ramp down the procedure is the same as when ramping up except, that the operator
will press and hold the COAST cruise switch. Minimum idle speed (while feature is
active) is 900 rpm’s.
When the Idle Up feature is engaged it can be disabled (turned off) by several ways:
1. The cruise cancel switch can be pressed.
2. Cruise off switch can be pressed.
3. Vehicle brake pedal can be depressed.
4. Move the PRNDL (gear select lever) from Park
5. Vehicle speed greater than 2 mph (manual vehicle only)
6. Clutch pedal is depressed.
When this feature is disabled from any method then the idle speed will revert back to the
standard vehicle idle speed. The cruise lamp will stay on until the cruise off switch is
pressed even though the Idle Up feature has been disabled.
The Idle Up feature is the lowest priority between it and PTO operation. If at any time
during active Idle Up the PTO on/off switch is activated the control will be given over to
the PTO feature. For example, if the idle up is active and the idle speed has been set to
1400 rpm’s and then the PTO on/off switch is activated the idle speed will return to 900
rpm’s (Stationary PTO mode). If all conditions are met to engage the PTO, the idle up
feature can then be used to ramp up the idle speed again to the desired level.
If any of the disable conditions are met, the PTO switch must be cycled off then back on
before the Idle Up can be used again.

If you don’t put all dealers into one group , I’ll do the same and won’t put all truck drivers into one group either. LOL.

Charlie
(maybe they can make this a sticky & save rehashing over & over).

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Plowman

Sorry you are having so much difficulty. That Service Manager is giving us a bad name.
I am a Service Manager also, and the information is correct. So I’ll try to make it up to you for his deficiencies

(but you may have to find another one to take this info to.) Or come to Mass & I would do it for ya, lol.

Starting with the 2008 Ram Truck owner’s manual, Diesel Supplement , which is provided in the Documentation Kit, Part # 68049170AA. Page # 46:

“NOTE : An optional driver-controlled high idle speed is available on automatic transmission equipped vehicles with speed control. This feature allows the driver to select an elevated idle speed between 1,100 and 1,500 RPM’s. Your Dealer can enable this feature.”

I would give you a screenshot but the document is not on tech-connect yet.

AND FOR THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION GUYS. THIS IS A STAR-ONLINE FILE
It’s from a general search, Not sure if it applies to pickups, but the part is referred to in the PTO enable instructions on Cab & Chassis on the DodgeBodyBuilders instructions.

Search Result
Case Number K67915415
Vehicle Issue The customer would like to have the 'idle-up' feature enabled on a manual transmission equipped truck.;The 'idle-up' feature can be enabled using StarSCAN®, but will not function until a clutch "up-stop" or start-of-travel switch is installed.
System or Component Mopar Accessory / Performance Part,Need Information Concerning Proper Part Usage,Programming / Flash;Speed Control
Recommendation Install clutch up-stop switch P/N 05026273AB. This switch is also called the "Switch - Clutch Interlock / Upstop". Most trucks do not have the 6-way connector included in the dash wiring harness. The two wires are un-terminated. The matching connector for use with the switch is P/N 05102412AA. This connector is not included with the switch kit and must be ordered seperately.
Modification Date 05/14/08 4:19 PM

For a full view of the STAR Online case, copy the case number above and use it to look up the complete case in the STAR Online application.

AND FOR THE CAB & CHASSIS GUYS, THIS IS RIGHT OFF THE Official Dodge Site - Body Builder's Guide site (You can go there too , but I’ll print here for you).
Note: I printed the 2007 instructions , the 2008 instructions do not mention the clutch switch

3500 Chassis Cab Adjustable Idle Speed Instructions
09/10/2006
Idle Up Feature (Adjustable Idle Control)
This is a Diesel only feature and is NOT available on any vehicle equipped with a 5.7L
gas engine.
Idle up (Adjustable Idle Control) is available when PTO is enabled on the vehicle by
purchasing the PTO prep option (sales code LBN) or by having the Dealer enable the
feature. It has been developed to aid in cabin heating / cooling or enhance stationary PTO
capability by elevating the idle speed upon operator command through the steering wheel
mounted cruise switches.
If the vehicle was purchased without PTO prep (sales code LBN) and the Idle Up feature
is desired, your Dodge Dealer can enable this feature provided the vehicle has the
required hardware and software.
Vehicle Required Hardware/Software
If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission:
• PTO enabled (by purchase of prep package or by Dealer)
If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission
• Clutch up-stop switch wired to the PCM
• PTO enabled (by purchase of prep package or Dealer)
This feature cannot be Dealer enabled for manual transmission equipped vehicles
NOT ordered with the PTO prep package. This is due to the required up-stop
switch. At this time there is no Mopar parts kit to add this switch.
Operation:
Pre-engagement vehicle requirements:
1. The vehicle must be in Park (automatic transmission).
2. Vehicle speed must be less than 2 mph (manual transmission).
3. Brake pedal must not be depressed.
4. Clutch pedal is not depressed
5. Parking brake must be set for manual transmission
6. No active speed or engine faults present (MIL lamp on)
To engage, the operator first presses the “Cruise On” cruise control switch. The Cruise
light will come on in the cluster. Then press and release the “Set” switch (just like you

2007 3500 Chassis Cab Adjustable Idle Speed Instructions
would do when operating the cruise control feature). This will activate the feature and set
the engine idle speed to 900 rpm’s.
At this point the operator may choose to “ramp” up or down the idle speed. To ramp up,
press and hold the RES / ACCEL (right hand side) cruise switch. Maximum idle speed
(while feature is active) is 2000 rpm’s. At any point while the idle speed is ramping up
the operator may release the RES / ACCEL switch and the idle speed will stabilize at the
value shown on the tachometer.
To ramp down the procedure is the same as when ramping up except, that the operator
will press and hold the COAST cruise switch. Minimum idle speed (while feature is
active) is 900 rpm’s.
When the Idle Up feature is engaged it can be disabled (turned off) by several ways:
1. The cruise cancel switch can be pressed.
2. Cruise off switch can be pressed.
3. Vehicle brake pedal can be depressed.
4. Move the PRNDL (gear select lever) from Park
5. Vehicle speed greater than 2 mph (manual vehicle only)
6. Clutch pedal is depressed.
When this feature is disabled from any method then the idle speed will revert back to the
standard vehicle idle speed. The cruise lamp will stay on until the cruise off switch is
pressed even though the Idle Up feature has been disabled.
The Idle Up feature is the lowest priority between it and PTO operation. If at any time
during active Idle Up the PTO on/off switch is activated the control will be given over to
the PTO feature. For example, if the idle up is active and the idle speed has been set to
1400 rpm’s and then the PTO on/off switch is activated the idle speed will return to 900
rpm’s (Stationary PTO mode). If all conditions are met to engage the PTO, the idle up
feature can then be used to ramp up the idle speed again to the desired level.
If any of the disable conditions are met, the PTO switch must be cycled off then back on
before the Idle Up can be used again.

If you don’t put all dealers into one group , I’ll do the same and won’t put all truck drivers into one group either. LOL.

Charlie
(maybe they can make this a sticky & save rehashing over & over).
THANKS CHARLIE:yourock::yourock::yourock::yourock:
I will get to the bottom of this on monday Thanks for all your research in this matter!!!!! I have another prob. with my 07 maybe you know where to tell them to look for this. My 07 C&C did not come with the EB. I purchased the Kit, Installed the wire and switch, Very easy plug and play. Took it back to the dealer to have it enabled,,,,,,, thats when the fun started. Picked up the truck, paid the $40.00 fee to enable it. Drove out the lot down the street and NO EB!!!
Turned around and went back in and the service mgr said I will have to leave it again. He did not even question me on it working???? Left it there a week later for 3 days and they told me that they were going to have to find out how to do it so I Took the truck due to the fact it was going to snow and I needed the truck. That was 3 months ago , I never went back. I just got the 07 in november 08 it only has 3500 miles on it now so I guess I will bring it in for a oil change and ask if they found out how to enable it..
Charlie Thanks again. Wish you were in NJ:headbang:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts