Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well apparently ya gotta have sum amount of patience to drill out the tubes with a 3/32 drill bit. heats up quick like and snaps before ya even know what the hell happened...ah well good thing that i was doing this on a spare set of tubes...i'm slowly starting to show signs of intelligence in this lil ol muscle sitting atop my shoulders:lol4::lol4::lol4:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
ship them to me and i'll get them done for ya.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ship them to me and i'll get them done for ya.:thumbsup:
well that was my first strike. got two left then i'll send them to ya:hehe::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: just wanna ask right quick is there any way to salvage the one i have with the broken bit? maybe like drilling thru the old bit?:confused013:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Trust me you'll never be able to drill through the old one. Hardened steel just doesn't drill very easily if at all. maybe if you can grip it enough with pliers or something, but I doubt you can back it out that way either.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trust me you'll never be able to drill through the old one. Hardened steel just doesn't drill very easily if at all. maybe if you can grip it enough with pliers or something, but I doubt you can back it out that way either.
ya that's what i'm thinking to. buuut i think ive got some other bits that are a little bit harder than the bit i used. if anything i'm out the 8 bucks i paid for the tube, ebay special:hehe: i'll prolly just buy a bunch of em and drill on em til i get it right. you're prolly right tho about not bein able to drill thru it. we'll see :party018:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well if you're lucky you might be able to get it then use an easy out... but Ive never had any luck with those, always seem to drill it out good and then when you try to get it out it snaps off too. Maybe it's just me :confused013:

·
Registered
886 Posts
once in awhile I've had a little luck using a air powered engraver to vibrate the broken bit out by cranking the engraver to its high setting then pushing on the drill bit to rotate it out back words if there is enough bit that you can get the engraver on it.

Just a thought if you have one.

Good luck.

Are you using any lube? I seem to have good luck using an aerosol metal cuting fluid I get at NAPA. works better then WD40.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think i'm gonna just put these back on the shelf for now. can't get the old bit out lol...i know how things work for me and my luck just goes down the toilet:hehe::hehe::hehe: ah well time to work on something else

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,372 Posts
Its not hardened steel. More than likely what happened is you got the bit a little crooked and it broke. If you put the tube on a lathe they cut like butter. My drill bit still looks brand new.

I'm not sure which way you were drilling, but if you went from then end that is towards the injector you can drill out the edge filter and push the broken drill bit out the way it went in.

·
Not like the others......
5,116 Posts
I'm not sure which way you were drilling, but if you went from then end that is towards the injector you can drill out the edge filter and push the broken drill bit out the way it went in.
:ditto:

Make sure you drill them from the injector end when you drill them. This may help avoid broken drill bits.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
does this actually help?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:ditto:

Make sure you drill them from the injector end when you drill them. This may help avoid broken drill bits.
ya this is what i was doing when it broke on me...i was bein impatient, tried to go to fast, and bam it broke before i knew what the hell was goin on:lol4:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
are you using any lubrication? motor oil works fine
yessir i same motor oil i put in my cummins actually...but yeah i guess patience is a virtue. i figured if i could get it right on the first set of tubes id put them in but since i screw it up im not worried about it, just gives me an excuse to do something else haha

·
Registered
341 Posts
I hate to steal teh thread but what all does drilling the connector tubes do for you? I just replaced my connector tube orings and so it was the first time I dealt with them.:confused013:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hate to steal teh thread but what all does drilling the connector tubes do for you? I just replaced my connector tube orings and so it was the first time I dealt with them.:confused013:
it reduces the obstructions to fuel flow. if you ever have to take your tubes out again, try looking thr them. you cant because of the edge filter. take the edge filter out, drill the hole to .093" and voila you can see how much less restriction there is. it is a matter of opinion to some ppl if it helps or not. i believe it does just based on the fact that it reduces restriction. i don't care either about ppl sayin that timing is retarded due to lesser pressures caused by the tubes being bored out. i believe it helps and that's all i care about:lol4::lol4:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts