Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I towed my 5th wheel to Pismo dunes and it made it to Pismo just fine but when I went to go and get some supplies the tranny started to slip. I didn't think anything of it but when i started to drive up a road it was apparent that this was serious. I pulled over and check the fluid level and it was fine. This was last friday. My wife, my 3 week old baby, my 20 month old daughter my two dogs and I are stranded in the dunes in my 5th wheel trailer. I talked to the dealership a few moments ago and they told me that I will be here for at least another week due to the fact that someone else with the exact same truck had the exact same malfunction. Since he was at the dealership first he gets first dibs. Does anyone know a way to get Dodge to fix my truck faster? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.:CRY:

·
Registered
732 Posts
i think its a pretty commin problem. but i would call other dealerships in the area and tell them your situation. i mean they can put a clutch in your truck in a day. so i would call around

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is an automatic. No clutch but maybe I should have been more specific.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Agree on calling another dealer.

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Like everyone else, check all the dealers and see who can get you in pretty quick.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
cant hurt to call around.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
my 6spd manual tranny's clutch is also toast

I can't run edge past level 2 w/the MP8 cranked.... or I get lots of noise & :peelout but no go :rof:$::w::CRY:

·
Registered
223 Posts
You guys are really starting to scare me away from buying a new '08 in a month or so. I might need to really start looking at the F-250's again.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Well buy an F250 with a 6spd manual, then stack an Edge on top of an MP8, along with some other goodies, then dragrace your friends SRT8 Jeep repeatedly

let me know how the clutch likes it :popcorn: :rof

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
You guys are really starting to scare me away from buying a new '08 in a month or so. I might need to really start looking at the F-250's again.
No matter what truck you get, if you start adding large amounts of Power to it and not upgrading the Tranny then you will toast it. I am not sure what happened to the OPs truck but there have been very few failures of the Trannys on stock trucks that are not put to extreme use (boosted launches). Several guys are running multiple chips on stock trannys and do fine as well, they just stay within their limits.

In short - no need to be drastic and look at a FORD!:rof These trucks are GREAT!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have three chips stacked, and as comp said, I don't drive like a native washingtonion and my truck has been great. These new 6 speed auto's are light years better than the ol' 48re's. Especially with a stock truck, there have been very few failures on stock trucks and as far as I know nobody's been cooking marshmallows with the exhaust flame on a Dodge. I can't believe you even brought up Ford, I wouldn't push my Cummins before I would drive a ford but I'd diffidently wait for a buddy with a pink Duramax to come and get me before I’d drive a Ford.:rof

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's not just the tranny...It's all the problems combined that I'm reading about on this board. I know that if there's a problem, it will be posted here, but sheesh...

·
Banned
885 Posts
Anyone running a trans guage (temp), i would be real curious about mannysouza's problem...sounds as if it was a cooling issue there

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
should have gotten a 2nd gen with the 5 speed. im going to be at pismo the 6th through he 10th and im hauling my 5th wheel as well

·
Registered
331 Posts
should have gotten a 2nd gen with the 5 speed. im going to be at pismo the 6th through he 10th and im hauling my 5th wheel as well
So you can have fifth gear give out and have to drive all the way home in 4th? LOL had to throw that in there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm the OP and all I have is the superchips Flashpaq set on the smallest setting. I only did the chip to adjust for tire size. I have 35" tires that measure 33 1/2" tall. Dodge couldn't adjust for this tire size. Everything else is stock. This is an automatic transmission. None of the dealers in the area have the parts to fix it. They are all on the east coast. The dealership is not the problem it's dodge. They said the torque converter, clutches, pump and some other stuff is bad. That's a lot of stuff for a brand new truck. I would be fear full of having this problem with a new truck. On the other hand this has been a great truck and all of the big three trucks have their own problems.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Bum deal - at least your stranded in pismo with your 5er, I can think of a few thousand other places that would be far worse to be stranded in.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
It's not just the tranny...It's all the problems combined that I'm reading about on this board. I know that if there's a problem, it will be posted here, but sheesh...
I love mine. Very few probs. Not to many post to brag on how a good a truck is. But you dang sure hear about a failure. Have you heard about the squeeky(sp) wheel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts