Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first oil change since the delete and instead of two extra quarts on the stick it was a tad low. For the 5 previous changes the oil was high appx two quarts. I'm sure it was diesel in the oil from the regen. Thought you might want to know.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
I am glad you posted that. I have tried to tell a few people that. they would not believe it. You are correct, its the fuel getting in the crank case during the regen process

·
Size Matters
643 Posts
Thats a good deal. so we get bad mileage and when we change the oil we are throwing away some fuel we are getting raped on. But hey at least the emissions are low for all the tree huggers out there and we have some killer fire starter. :rof

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
That what we are talking about. :thumbsup

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
some people on TDR found as much as 2.5% - 3.0% fuel in there oil when they sent in a sample

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
oil sample

how do i find someone to analyze oil in se texas

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sent mine to Mustang Cat in Houston along with some from other equipment.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sorry not to butt in, but I reading the thread and what is regen????

·
SuperDuperMod
3,938 Posts
Sorry not to butt in, but I reading the thread and what is regen????
you don't have to worry about it, it is on the 6.7 cummins, part of the new emmissions stuff.

·
Registered
361 Posts
how does fuel get into your oil during regen?

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
how does fuel get into your oil during regen?
because the Diesel is injected during a exhaust stroke for the regen cycle. That diesel is meant to go and collect in the DPF to bring up the temp to burn/clean the filter out. Since it is, and it does not get burned in the cylinder, it will bypass the rings and oil rings falling into the crank case. Diesel is thinner than oil, the oil rings are designed for the 15w-40 oil that you use in there to leave a very small film on the walls. The diesel has no problem bypassing that since it is not burned.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
Also to, some people have reported there oil level quit rising over time. with the DPF on and the truck still stock. So maybe you just need a crap ton of miles to get the rings to set. So maybe when they do set, the diesel stops bypassing the rings.

·
Registered
361 Posts
oh ok. I was told before that they have an injector in the DPF that shoots the diesel into it so it can burn. I didnt know that it actually has to travel from the Cylinder injectors to the dpf to burn.

·
Registered
20 Posts
would unburned fuel bypassing the rings wash the lubricant off the cylinder walls any, or does this ulsd still have enough lubricating propertys in it to not matter? Oh and any Napa Auto parts stores can sell you an oil analyse kit thats pre adressed that you just pour your sample into puts so stamps on and though in the mail box and they will send you a paper thats states the percent of anything and everything thats in you oil

P

·
0 Posts
would unburned fuel bypassing the rings wash the lubricant off the cylinder walls any, or does this ulsd still have enough lubricating propertys in it to not matter? Oh and any Napa Auto parts stores can sell you an oil analyse kit thats pre adressed that you just pour your sample into puts so stamps on and though in the mail box and they will send you a paper thats states the percent of anything and everything thats in you oil
In theory yes. But remember, Diesel fuel is a lubricant. That is a major reason why diesels last so long. What you are asking would be a gas engine issue though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
So does it only put the diesel into the oil during the regen cycles? So if you take out your DPF system, then it will no longer get diesel into the oil? Sorry I don't really know what I'm talking about here, totally new to diesels, much less having to deal with all this emissions crap.

·
Registered
491 Posts
i've just read about a second gen here that had mystery leak that led to bearing failure, cant think if it was caustic to bearings or pressure/volume that worked it over. Diesel Mechanics chime in please.

·
Banned
706 Posts
I run the 5W40 Amsoil in my truck. I change every 10,000 and change the filters (amsoil filters) every 5000. Though my overhead tells me I need to change it sometimes as soon as 4000 miles. what does the truck notice in oil to tell me this?:help

·
Registered
417 Posts
Does mixing diesel into the oil cause long term damage to the engine?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts