Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
Apex Junky
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought this in late November to replace the lowered, Coyote powered F150 I had been driving around.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

The reason? I will be pulling a Mustang cross country to different race tracks and wanted something that wouldn’t break a sweat doing so. Probably could’ve went with the Ecobust F150 but the cost was nearly the same for this truck so…

Here we are…

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tinted the windows and added a 5” exhaust tip because it needed something back there.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Cloud Vehicle

Added this S&B cai for the noise factor and picked up a set of 35x12.50r20 Ridge Grapplers.

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Installed a set of Amp Research steps and pulled most of the emblems off.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Cloud Land vehicle Vehicle

Future plans:

Sprayed in bedliner
Color matched grille

·
Registered
686 Posts
AEV Salta's are a good looking wheel on white. Just a personal opinion but I think the whole bronze craze is played out. A buddy of mine has 17" Saltas on 37's on his white longbed, looks really good!

Reactions: White95

·
Premium Member
Apex Junky
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AEV Salta's are a good looking wheel on white. Just a personal opinion but I think the whole bronze craze is played out. A buddy of mine has 17" Saltas on 37's on his white longbed, looks really good!
I hear ya.. It seems tough to dress these trucks up and not look like 20 others just like it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bought this in late November to replace the lowered, Coyote powered F150 I had been driving around.

View attachment 941703

View attachment 941710

The reason? I will be pulling a Mustang cross country to different race tracks and wanted something that wouldn’t break a sweat doing so. Probably could’ve went with the Ecobust F150 but the cost was nearly the same for this truck so…

Here we are…

View attachment 941704

Tinted the windows and added a 5” exhaust tip because it needed something back there.

View attachment 941705

View attachment 941712

Added this S&B cai for the noise factor and picked up a set of 35x12.50r20 Ridge Grapplers.

View attachment 941706

View attachment 941711

View attachment 941708

View attachment 941709

View attachment 941707
nice truck! Does that S&B really affect the sound that much?

·
Premium Member
Apex Junky
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice truck! Does that S&B really affect the sound that much?
Thank you!

Yes. You can hear the turbo whistling more and the exhaust brake is more noticeable. It’s not obnoxious or overbearing, in my opinion, but I’m used to loud vehicles.

This isn’t the best video out there but you can clearly hear what I’m talking about.

·
Registered
115 Posts

View attachment 941703

View attachment 941710

Here we are…

View attachment 941704

View attachment 941705

View attachment 941712

View attachment 941706

View attachment 941711

View attachment 941708

View attachment 941709

View attachment 941707
Thank you!

Yes. You can hear the turbo whistling more and the exhaust brake is more noticeable. It’s not obnoxious or overbearing, in my opinion, but I’m used to loud vehicles.

This isn’t the best video out there but you can clearly hear what I’m talking about.

Nice. They don't look too expensive. When I get my 22' I will probably get one. What are you thoughts on the 68rfe and accerlation, etc compared to the Ford you cam from?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I hear ya.. It seems tough to dress these trucks up and not look like 20 others just like it.
Yes it is tough. If I can find some I might do the silver Salta's or some other machined wheel just since everyone and their mother does black wheels these days. I just can't seem to find the silver Salta's.

Just examples off of Google.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
Apex Junky
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice. They don't look too expensive. When I get my 22' I will probably get one. What are you thoughts on the 68rfe and accerlation, etc compared to the Ford you cam from?
Lol..

My F150 was tuned and had a plethora of suspension mods that helped out the modest power down. It would’ve stomped the piss out of this Ram in a foot race.

The 6R80 was much smoother than this 68RFE but I feel the current unit needs more time to wear in. The Ford shift tuning was trash. It took forever to shift between 1-2 and seemed to “hunt for gears” at low speeds. However, mine was tuned for 100k of the 127k miles I racked up and it made a major difference.

The comparisons between the trucks aren’t even close in many metrics. Ford did a poor job when they spec’d the rear suspension of the F150. The shocks were two lengths to “prevent axle wrap” and the springs were too soft. I’ve always felt that concessions were made due to the aluminum body weighing less. When it was stock height, the ride would sag with over 100 lbs in the bed. It was pathetic. Adding a rear sway bar, Viking adjustable shocks and relocating the driver side shock helped with the sag/bouncing ride but it was pretty much a SuperCrew Mustang. It was not a very utilitarian vehicle at all.

The seating position in the Ram is more comfortable than the F150 BUT I liked the relaxed bolstering of the F150 seats better. The door panel was a tad higher on the F150 so I never could quite get comfortable. Overall, I give the Ram the nod in interior quality. The Alpine stereo puts the mid-level 15-20 F150 system to shame.

·
Premium Member
Apex Junky
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it is tough. If I can find some I might do the silver Salta's or some other machined wheel just since everyone and their mother does black wheels these days. I just can't seem to find the silver Salta's.

Just examples off of Google.

View attachment 941733

View attachment 941735
Those are nice.

The worst part of choosing wheels in this segment? You’ll find a wheel that’s PERFECT but then they screwed it up with the logo in the lip. That and I just can’t warm up to the negative offset look. Just seems like a good way to ruin your paint.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Lol..

My F150 was tuned and had a plethora of suspension mods that helped out the modest power down. It would’ve stomped the piss out of this Ram in a foot race.

The 6R80 was much smoother than this 68RFE but I feel the current unit needs more time to wear in. The Ford shift tuning was trash. It took forever to shift between 1-2 and seemed to “hunt for gears” at low speeds. However, mine was tuned for 100k of the 127k miles I racked up and it made a major difference.

The comparisons between the trucks aren’t even close in many metrics. Ford did a poor job when they spec’d the rear suspension of the F150. The shocks were two lengths to “prevent axle wrap” and the springs were too soft. I’ve always felt that concessions were made due to the aluminum body weighing less. When it was stock height, the ride would sag with over 100 lbs in the bed. It was pathetic. Adding a rear sway bar, Viking adjustable shocks and relocating the driver side shock helped with the sag/bouncing ride but it was pretty much a SuperCrew Mustang. It was not a very utilitarian vehicle at all.

The seating position in the Ram is more comfortable than the F150 BUT I liked the relaxed bolstering of the F150 seats better. The door panel was a tad higher on the F150 so I never could quite get comfortable. Overall, I give the Ram the nod in interior quality. The Alpine stereo puts the mid-level 15-20 F150 system to shame.
I might look into getting that Pedal Commander. I dont want to spend money on tuning. I don't keep them long enough I guess. I'm leaving towards a Carli or Thuren level and Fuel Blitz 22s on 35" Ridge Grapplers

·
Premium Member
Apex Junky
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might look into getting that Pedal Commander. I dont want to spend money on tuning. I don't keep them long enough I guess. I'm leaving towards a Carli or Thuren level and Fuel Blitz 22s on 35" Ridge Grapplers
My dealer gave me a “lifetime Powertrain warranty” as long as I:

A) Let them do all of the maintenance.

B) Don’t delete or tune the truck.

They sure know how to suck all the fun out of things. I’m wrestling with the idea of tuning it and deleting it. Typically keep a truck 5 years.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Those are nice.

The worst part of choosing wheels in this segment? You’ll find a wheel that’s PERFECT but then they screwed it up with the logo in the lip. That and I just can’t warm up to the negative offset look. Just seems like a good way to ruin your paint.
I totally agree on the offset, ugly lol, I am shooting for something between +12 (worst case) and +20.

Logo....or every freaking wheel has fake beadlock screws around the edge!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes it is tough. If I can find some I might do the silver Salta's or some other machined wheel just since everyone and their mother does black wheels these days.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Guilty!! Lol
But after polishing my Centerlines since 2006 on my Duramax I told myself I’d definitely get black wheels on my next truck. The stock wheels are easy to clean. And I’m not a fan in the least bit of the bronze wheels on any color of truck. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
Apex Junky
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 941902
View attachment 941903

Guilty!! Lol
But after polishing my Centerlines since 2006 on my Duramax I told myself I’d definitely get black wheels on my next truck. The stock wheels are easy to clean. And I’m not a fan in the least bit of the bronze wheels on any color of truck. Just my .02
Good looking truck! To each their own right? I have matte black wheels on my track day car and have regretted that ever since. The race pads shoot embers and have totally screwed the finish up 🤪

My evil plan is to powder coat the Forgestar wheels bronze to match the truck. That way I’ll have coordinated ugliness 🤣

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Hood

·
Registered
686 Posts
View attachment 941902
View attachment 941903

Guilty!! Lol
Nice Chevy. I had a 2006.5, sold it with 80k on the clock.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
Apex Junky
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I personally like the look of 24x14s they get a lot of looks down the road and they ride pretty smooth not sure if anyone cares about my 10¢ View attachment 941984
I like redheads and you may like blondes.

We can all agree that we like women!! (I hope)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts