Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine is from a 92 intercooled 2wd truck. It is going in a 82 silverado with a 16" lift on 12.4x24 tractor tires. I hope to be using a getrag 5 speed and 205 transfer case. So my question is...what mods can I do for cheap or free power. I want all the smoke I can get too since it will never see the road, only mud holes!!! I want to put my 62/65/12 turbo off my 99 on it too, will that help? Or will I need injectors? Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Denny t fuel pin ( $105)
Full throttle linkage mod (free)
3200 rpm govner spring ($20)
turn up fuel screw , bottom it or turn it up to runway then back of a half turn ( free)
star wheel 1 1/2 turns (free)
bottom smoke screw if you want for more smoke ( free)
And if i were you i would get gauges at least a boot and egt and im pretty sure everyone will agree you can get gauges for about ($70) or a 3 in 1 gauge for ($160) up to you though.
timing bump ( if you want ) ( free)
Amsoil air filter (part # EEAU 4090) ($72)

Do what i have listed above and the below is your choice and get more opinions

I would also think about 4 inch exhaust ???

> and i think that turbo would help but that just my opinion get some more.

>>And yes injectors would definatley help and get more power and all its just how big do you want to go and how much do you want to spend ?? ( remeber there is other stuff that follows this if you want to be safe and get the all the power,tightening up tranny,lift pump ect. ect.)
you could do sdx 5X14's ( 140hp) for ($500)

>> but thats beside the point tell us what you think and how much you want to spend and what your goal is and all and we can help more.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks man! I know the importance of gauges. I have a spare tst boost gauge but will need another egt gauge cause my y isspro shorted out and doesnt work anymore. I have run two of the 3-n-1 glowshift gauges in my trucks and am a little iffy on buying another since the one i run in my 99 seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to showing accurate egt's.

So I imagine learning how to do all the free mods you mentioned can be found on YouTube?

I will more than likely be running a hood stack for exhaust so i will just take the factory exhaust pipe and flip it upside down until i put the 62mm on there.

What size is the turbo I have on it now?

My goal is just to make strong reliable power that I can beat on for a couple of hours, put it back on the trailer and go home.

I belive what you have listed above will be plenty for power including the injectors. So as far as budget goes I think were good with the above.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone tried the M & H Inc M5 fuel pin for $130??

They claim..# M5: Very fast fueling pin. Allows full fuel right away. We call it the play pin

Seems like it would be better for what I need it for...?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Has anyone tried the M & H Inc M5 fuel pin for $130??

They claim..# M5: Very fast fueling pin. Allows full fuel right away. We call it the play pin

Seems like it would be better for what I need it for...?
denny t will do the same for 105 shipped not knocking m&h or anything

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
i would go with the dennyt its only a 105 bucks and hes a good business man and always helps everyone and will be just as good like stated. As for gauges i wouldnt do the 3 in 1 but i thought id throw it out there for all the options. As for our turbo measurment i dont know all i can say is stock turbo is a h1c, got to ask someone else there. Sorry. I would do the timing bump like i recommended its free and will help mpg's. There is a sticky at the top of this page but heres the link anyways http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/8...ional-videos-how-tweak-ve-injection-pump.html . As for the fuel screw theres nothing on that ill try get a pic. Anyways when you do it make sure you have someone to block your turbo inlet incase it starts to run away. Also give us a hp number or idea it will let us help more and talk bout injectors and all the bigger you go the more you have to worry about to keep it reliable clutch, studs if you get to much boost (up to you though) ( i will do them after but once i get my mods done ill just go easy) but anyways give us a hp number you want. Lets us help more and target stuff. and if you need any help you could shoot me a pm im almost always on. Have anymore questions just ask!

> heres the link to pics of the fuel screw and high idle screw. When you turn it up like i said have someone ready to block the turbo inlet incase it starts to run away. Try and bottom it ( will give you the most power) but if it starts to run away then kill it and back off a half turn from runaway. Also the first 2 pics in this link you will see the fuel screw ( full power screw ) and the high idle screw if you go to the next page ( 5 ) you will see the idle screw ( you will probably have to turn the idle when you turn up the fuel screw.

Hope this helps and again tell us hp goals

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
honestly i would not put the 62 turbo on the truck if your just gonna be mudding it i would do the free mods and that is it but thats just me

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont really have a set hp goal...My 99 makes 500hp/900ft.lbs so if i want to go fast I can jump in it.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
well give a rough idea 250 hp ?? 300 ??

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well give a rough idea 250 hp ?? 300 ??
Lets say 300...anymore than that and I think thats about the time more exspensive stuff starts to come into play. Do you think the factory clutch replacement will handle the 5-600ft.lbs? So did you do all the stuff you listed for me to do to your truck? If so was it worth the time? Did you notice an increase in overall power?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Lets say 300...anymore than that and I think thats about the time more exspensive stuff starts to come into play. Do you think the factory clutch replacement will handle the 5-600ft.lbs? So did you do all the stuff you listed for me to do to your truck? If so was it worth the time? Did you notice an increase in overall power?
if your mudding it all i would do is get a set of gauges,turn up the pump,better intake,straight pipe it,and grind your fuel pin you will see a big difference and will be more than enough power for mudding

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Well if he has a turbo and want to spend money and have more power let him and i dont know about the clutch bieng ok with the 300hp 5-600ftlbs i would just do a small set of injectors and the pump and all the free stuff i recomended. And yes i would do what i recomended. It was worth it and so was the timing bump +2mpgs and ya i noticed a differnce in power i havnt done anything other then the free pump mods and all the free stuff i recomended and i noticed a differnce that why i say use smaller injectors because then you wont have to worry about. Like you can probably do 300-350 hp but i just am telling you what you wanted is a safe reliable truck and if it were me i would put a new clutch on. Like im shotting for about 350hp with my auto and im putting on a new Torqe converter. ( look at my sig what im doing). Also i would still buy the dennyt for 105 buck its better then grinding the stock pin as for the turbo if you wanna go for like 250-275hp i dont think you will really need a turbo upgrade but thats up to you. More air can never hurt. Plus that will help keep it cool

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I really hate this turbo on my truck now it is sooooooo laggggggyyyyyyy...So what kinda power will I be making by doing the free mods and a fuel pin and the 3200 governor spring?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
well depending on how much you can turn up the fuel screw ( every trucks differnct some less some more like i explained before ) but anyways i would say umm maybe 230-250 hp probably kinda hard to say i can give you a better estimate when you tell me how many turns you were able to do on the fuel screw

Also the 3200 rpm gov spring (366 spring) doesnt give more hp just broadens you power bend and lets you go to 3200 rpm instead of 2800 with the stock spring

·
Registered
697 Posts
If it's just a play truck that you don't care about smoke than I wouldn't worry about a fuel pin. Grind your AFC lever and get full fuel and lots of smoke. I wouldn't do it on a daily driver but a play truck might as well save the money on the fuel pin at least.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
i would just get a dennyt

·
Registered
665 Posts
Make sure to watch your EGTs in the mud. I've seen a p-pumper in a buggy nick a piston from not keeping an eye on the EGT gauge.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You should be able to hit 300 with cheap injectors and free mods.

I hit 301 in an auto truck with a converter, BHAF, muffler (stock downpipe), DDP 4's, and some fuel screw.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it's just a play truck that you don't care about smoke than I wouldn't worry about a fuel pin. Grind your AFC lever and get full fuel and lots of smoke. I wouldn't do it on a daily driver but a play truck might as well save the money on the fuel pin at least.
I want all the smoke possible!!! My 99 will stop traffic so I cant have my big ol toy fallin behind. Whats the afc lever?? And how do I grind it?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts