Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a 1990 12v cummins with 121k miles on it. It's in a little rougher shape then what I wanted but it was in my price range. Sourcing local good parts is definitely harder then I expected. I was hoping to find a good complete donor truck and swap the drive train over but am striking out without having to spend a weekend going to get it. So at this point I plan on sandblasting the frame, replace the floors and keep looking for a driver's door, atleast a driver's side fender and a bed. Plan is to replace all the fuel/brake line's, every seal (cab, drive train and axles) upgrade steering hopefully come across a nv4500 and make this a good DD. I did find most of the missing interior parts locally. And I believe have figured most of the wiring (waiting on a repair manual). Everything was disconnected when I bought it. Previous owner decided not to continue with whatever he was going to do with it.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

"new" dash, door panels and misc interior parts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Got a 90 here also, that one must be an early one with the external lockouts on the axle (nothing wrong with that, just an observation).

Where are you located? I stripped most of my interior and have no plans to reinstall. SE PA...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a 90 here also, that one must be an early one with the external lockouts on the axle (nothing wrong with that, just an observation).

Where are you located? I stripped most of my interior and have no plans to reinstall. SE PA...
I'm in upstate ny. If you know where Syracuse is, I'm 2 hours north of that. I think the only parts I may be missing is upper trim pieces that hold the headliner in and the headliner.

I plan on swapping the stock lock outs for warn hubs. I'm definitely going to have more into this then what I was planning. Finding body parts is tough. The one's who have good stuff know what it's worth and the average person who may have something, it's worse than what I have. Repop parts are decently priced but shipping is a killer. I really need to write down prices for new (with shipping) prices people gave me so far, see where I'm at and compare to some potential donor truck's.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm not sure you can get Warn hubs for those Selctro versions without changing the hub.

I know what you mean, I was luck and got a Texas truck that is all but perfect body-wise, but needs mechanical work. I've got a lot of $ wrapped up in mine, and it doesn't even look much different!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't looked into them yet. I guess it'll depend on what everything looks like when I start tearing into it. Going to get my wife's project truck done first. Hers at this point only really needs brakes, shocks and figure out seems to be a initial fueling issue.

1987 Chevy v20 350 tbi

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bought some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Platinum and some extreme chassis black satin finish paint. Going to order some more chassis paint. I'm sure what I bought is enough but want some extra on hand.

I also removed the bed. Bit of a pain to get off by myself but got it off. No lift, no winch. I do wish I built saw horses to set the bed on. The metal one's are OK for cutting but trying to shimmy something on them while sitting on uneven land made it fun. Bed is resting against the tree so shouldn't go anywhere for now.

Waiting on my wife to see if she's going to pull her project truck in and start on hers. She technically just needs brakes and figure out why it needs starter fluid or a little gas in the tbi to start. And hers is a driver. Needs some body work but she's more patient then I am.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have rust, get some Gempler's rust converter to start...
It's a North east truck. There's rust. Frame is pretty solid. Few areas I want to address but it's rusty. Need to replace the floors, cab mounts. And doors, fenders and bed. Trying to find a donor truck for at least the body.

·
Registered
895 Posts
It's a North east truck. There's rust. Frame is pretty solid. Few areas I want to address but it's rusty. Need to replace the floors, cab mounts. And doors, fenders and bed. Trying to find a donor truck for at least the body.

The Gemplers stuff works well...I've done quite a bit of parts and pieces.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good luck with your restoration, I love to see people repairing rusted out trucks to keep them from the scrap pile.
I have a load of detailed photos of fabricating new cab mounts on my first gen, if you think they'll be helpful just let me know.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck with your restoration, I love to see people repairing rusted out trucks to keep them from the scrap pile.
I have a load of detailed photos of fabricating new cab mounts on my first gen, if you think they'll be helpful just let me know.
Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first time doing anything this involved

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got my truck's into the garage.

Picked up a 1992 w350 360 as a donor truck. Although I may end up building that one also, but as a toy

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Removed what I needed from the donor truck

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Swapped axles, moved the cab off, and have been degreasing

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the front half of the frame wire wheeled down along with the axle and a bunch of other parts.

1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2 coats of Eastwood Platinum Rust Encapsulator

Reactions: Saintly

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2 coats of Eastwood Extreme Satin Chassis Black

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Front axle back underneath the truck, new lower king pin race and bearings installed, new pinion seal, new trans mount bushings, and new leaf spring clamps installed.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cab is off, rear axle is out, back half is cleaned up

1 - 20 of 140 Posts