Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having shifting issues, so I drove 60 miles over to the tranny shop I use for my business. I ran inside to grab Bob to test drive my truck. The truck hasn't been idling well,hasn't for a few months, so it died and I shut it off. Bob comes out, and it won't start. We cracked an injector line, and cranked it, no fuel coming out. I suspected fuel filter, so I changed it out in the parking lot real quick. After a couple hundred pushes on the primer, it fired right up, but wouldn't idle, just like the last few months. I grab Bob for the test drive, and AGAIN, no start. I pumped the primer a bunch, and cranked more, nothing. I alternated cranking and pumping the primer for a dozen tries until the batteries died. I had my wife come get me. I put the batteries on the charger overnight. I HAVE to make the truck run first thing in the morning. It is parked right in the way at the tranny shop, with a loaded trailer attached!
I was content with blaming the filter, since it fired right up afterwards. Why doesn't it start now? I tried everything I new, and nothing helps.
I assume no fuel again, but dead batteries, so I couldn't learn much more. What should I do next, I would like to get it out of the way. Any tips what to check first, or if I primed it wrong? It is a 94 Dodge, 12 valve, auto.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fuel shut off valve. Mechanical shutoff valve on the side of your P7100 pump. Turn the key to on reach down and manually pull the lever on the solonoid in. You'll feel it snap into place. Solonoid has two coils a pull in and a hold in. Normally the rubber boot on the solonoid rips and lets rust and crap get in the solonoid so it doesn't work properly. You can remove the solonoid and clean, or replace.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will give that a shot. Key on, reach under solenoid and pull lever up, right?

·
Registered
205 Posts
That should do it! Good luck and check the lift pump.... Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was that simple. I turned the key on, and reached in, gave it a nudge, and felt it "click" into place. Thanks for ending my frustration! I really appreciate the things I have learned on this forum.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts