Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so all my truck will do is turn over and not even attempt to fire. I've replace the lift pump with the intank kit so thats all good. I bought a used CP3 off this site cause a local shop told me that was my issue. But when I got the new CP3 the Fuel Control Actuator was broken where the wires connect. So I took the old actuator off my old pump (the old actuator does make a rattle sound when I shake it) and put it on the new pump. The truck still won't start though. I didn't think the actuator would keep the truck from starting, or would it?

I called up rocky mountain cummins and they have the actuator for sale for only $100. Should I just buy it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The actuator wont keep it from starting. Did you install the kit with the relay and fuse to change over to in tank pump? You also need to check the fuel pressure relief valveon the rail.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is were it is useful to have a scan tool to see if you are making any pressure.

If you are not making rail pressure it doesn't necessarily mean the cp3 pump isn't working. One of the returns for the injectors could be stuck open and bleeding off the pressure.

Have you physically checked supply pressure.

·
Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR
436 Posts
To properly diagnose the problem you need to scan the vehicle, perform a injector return flow test and check the pressure relief valve to see if it is leaking. Of course testing the supply pressure and flow should be the first step.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I need to perform an injector return flow test and check the pressure relief valve to see if it is leaking. Is there an easy way, or should I just take it to the dealer?

·
SNAFU
3,369 Posts
have you checked everything else like codes, mine did that once and it was the crank position sensor went out, it would just crank and crank and not even try to fire. When it went out it threw a code thats how I knew to change it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't check the codes tills after I had the batteries unpluged for a couple of days. So the only code I can get is the ECM power supply code.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there anything I can tear apart and scrub in some solvent or brake cleaner to free things up?

·
SNAFU
3,369 Posts
Is there anything I can tear apart and scrub in some solvent or brake cleaner to free things up?

Dont know about that, there is no way to clean the sensor I am talkin about, After you hooked up the batteries again did you crank on it for awhile and then check the codes again?

When mine went out it drove fine one day and next morning I went to start it and it wouldnt fire, it didn't give me any warning it was goin out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So the truck was running. Then you replaced the lift pump, cp3, and fca and now the truck will not start??

Lots of places to check there. If you replaced your cp3 you may have to crank quite a while to get all the air out of the system for it to run. Is that fca bad? is your new fuel pump working correctly? did you get all your fuel lines tightened back up since changing ou the cp3?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im sorry, the truck actually died on the side of the road right as I was pulling from a stop light. I know the lift pump is working cause the fuel filter canister is filling up. I replaced the cp3 because I had the truck towed to a local shop and they did the pressure test and all that, and they said it was my injection pump.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright I was reading a little on here and is seems I can cap the fuel rail to allow it to have higher rail pressure... by replacing the banjo bolt for the return line to the pump, and so with no return it forces all fuel into the injectors vs allowing fuel and potential power escape the rail and return to the tank. Does this sound like a bad idea? I have all my programmers unplugged.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I went ahead and pluged the return line from the rail and this is what happened. It started but only when my buddy sprayed it with starting fluid. But then it would die right away unless I kept my foot on the throttle. We got it started about three times with complete throttle controll, and on the last time i kept it at around 2000 rpm for about 3-4 minutes then slowly let it drop to see if it would keep an idle but it got real shakey and died. It still won't start without starting fluid. Does anyone know what I may have narrowed down to?

I appreciate everyones help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would you say I need to replace the whole injector/injectors or would I be fine with just nozzles?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts