Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been on and off and searched the forums and i'm now looking to very mildly mod my 2002 24V truck.

first it all started with my 12v, which was mostly stock with a 4" exhaust, ground and hammered fuel plate and H2 wheels. i loved almost everything about that truck but wanted an escb:

after some time i found my current 02' ECSB 24V truck:

it's a mostly stock 89k mile truck with a re-manufactured chryco-junk transmission with ~ 2000 miles on the transmission. non-53 block truck, i just did rotors, pads, universal joints and upper and lower ball joints. i did my first performance 'mod' installing a 4" stainless MBRP sans muffler this past weekend.

i'm now looking towards some very mild mods, as i want the trans to last as long as possible. from my research i've been thinking gauges, smarty, 75hp injectors and a FASS or AirDog system and an airbox.

how much will i actually feel such a setup and does something else make more sense?

any good places to purchase a bundled kit of these components?

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Gauges and a FASS would be my first mods. Not an Airdog...

Honestly, If you really want to not worry and have the trans last just build it now.

I wouldnt go with the smarty as a sole tuner, try something that taps into the pump for a little more fuel. Can always add the smarty later if wanted.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
DAP sells these combos, but if you called CPP I bet they would do the same.

As far as 'airboxes' goes, just search for 'BHAF'

Also how much power are you looking for? Might be wise to think about a comp or similar rather than a smarty.

Killer truck though man!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I might suggest something along the lines of an edge comp, I've got one and I love it. It gives me better fuel economy, more power and did great for me when I have to tow.

And to beat a dead horse, go with a FASS system for your fuel. A lot of people are having problems with their newer airdogs. But it's your choice in the end.

Building your trans now is probably the smartest option. These things have a tough time handlin the stock motor. One less thing you'll worry about when you want go put more power to the ground.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Both of these guys are leading you in the right direction as far as a FASS goes... AirDog has gone down the drain... and run from DTT as well (if you were going to go mechanical) People have issues with them too.

·
MRAP Extraordinaire
1,226 Posts
Nice rigs!

You can't go wrong with CPP or DAP. They both have proven themselves thread after thread, but I have done all my business with Jamie at CPP. He builds his injectors himself. Just don't order injectors during the Christmas season. It took me 2 months to get them but they were worth the wait. Everything else ships crazy fast.

Im running 7x.012 VCO's (200hp) and I don't notice any idle haze and I can keep it smokeless driving it like I own it. I can black out 4 lanes driving it like I stole it.
Now I don't recommend 200hp sticks without more air but I would say you could do 100-150s and be good to grow into a bigger turbo down the road if need be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i certainly hear you all on the transmission, but the transmission is a fresh chryco with the 3 year warranty.

i don't need an all out monster, i just want to wake the truck up a bit...

·
Registered
587 Posts
A lot of people are going the fass route but according to a lot of other threads quit a few people with the fass systems are having problems to. I went with the mechanical option and ordered the GDP fuel boss last weekend just waiting for it to come in to install it. The only thing that can break on the mech systems are the belt and a replacement is only $9! Out of all the threads that I read prior to ordering I never found one complaint against the mechanical systems that wasn't an install error (over tightening belt) and right now the fuel boss is the same price as any of the higher end FASS systems! Just food for thought and my .01¢ opinion

·
Canadian Diesel Junkie
1,274 Posts
FASS, gauges, wiretap box (EJWA or similar) BHAF.

That would make a great daily runner and a solid foundation to build on. I wouldn't bother with injectors yet until you can afford more air at the same time. A good wiretap box REALLY wakes these trucks up. BHAF is good filtering with very high flow for little $$, upgrade the lift pump now as it is needed and might as well spend the $$ once and not have to upgrade later. Gauges should also be a priority, FP, EGT, BOOST, and maybe trans.

Then later if you want more out of the truck, build a solid tranny, then injectors and turbo, and possibly stacked chips.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would agree with the guy above me. Fass gauges and a wire tap box that adds timing as well edge comp or quad also a boost elbo in the turbo. A bhaf and full 4' exhaust and it will be a completely dif truck. I ran this set up on a stock trans and it lasted a wile.my trans had 200k when i added mods. And I was very happy with power.

And I would 100% do a transgo shift kit. Will up the line pressure firm up shifts and help lock the converter harder....

·
Registered
56 Posts
That truck is sexy. Little air and a little fuel goes a long way.... Btw your trans should hold for awhile as long as your not roasting the tires off or doing boosted launches all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts